List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll back SOS Dalrymple to make the right decisions in 100%.
You would think we're more likely to end up with 3 first rounders then Dan Houston.

Would much prefer we trade 7,8 for NM’s 2 + 22.

Would then be able to;
a) take one of the big three mids FOS, Smith, or Draper.
b) keep the extra pick in a decent range given draft depth

Housten can rot in radelaide
Peatling would be an awesome pickup
Hogan showing how critical a big forward can be

Listening to Adrian Caruso (giants head recruiter / list manager) recently who outlined their strategy;

hit the draft as high as they can with a tailored approach to game style and geographical context then only trade in cheap players that fill needs like hogan, Keefe etc, focus on retention, maximise return of outgoing players

Feel like that’s we need to be doing almost exactly.

Would much prefer we trade 7,8 for NM’s 2 + 22.

Would then be able to;
a) take one of the big three mids FOS, Smith, or Draper.
b) keep the extra pick in a decent range given draft depth

Housten can rot in radelaide
Peatling would be an awesome pickup
Hogan showing how critical a big forward can be

Listening to Adrian Caruso (giants head recruiter / list manager) recently who outlined their strategy;

hit the draft as high as they can with a tailored approach to game style and geographical context then only trade in cheap players that fill needs like hogan, Keefe etc, focus on retention, maximise return of outgoing players

Feel like that’s we need to be doing almost exactly.
Giants have shown they're willing to burn amazing amounts of capital to get the players that want. It's a strategy been fed off their priority picks and NGA and it won't last for ever, but we can't match it.
For this draft I'd rather us cash in our 2nd, 3rd and future 1st to try get 4 picks in the 1st round. Not sure how that lets us trade for a player like Peatling or a Ruckman but hopefully we can get a couple bags of chips for Pato and Hayes.
Get it right and we can draw a line through this "rebuild" and switch focus to filling specific holes with those cheap trade types.

Giants will want to hold onto him but we should be making a serious play for James Peatling. He will be a starting midfielder in our side. Also not sure when I heard it but we were interested in Finn Callaghan, worth asking the question if he is 'home-sick' wants to come back to bayside. No one would be complain if we used the Josh Battle compo on him.

If we get essentially get Houston for Battle then it is a significant net gain. Draft picks are a lottery. Houston gives us guaranteed top tier football for several years. It’s a no brainer.

While I’m at it I’d throw pick 7 and next years first for Petracca. Add those two to our best 22 and have a better run with injuries and we are a premiership threat in an even competition.
Melbourne aren’t a threat with him and they also have May and Gawn

Giants will want to hold onto him but we should be making a serious play for James Peatling. He will be a starting midfielder in our side. Also not sure when I heard it but we were interested in Finn Callaghan, worth asking the question if he is 'home-sick' wants to come back to bayside. No one would be complain if we used the Josh Battle compo on him.
Peatling had 15 possessions and a goal, hardly anything to write home about. He’s already 24 as well so it’s not like he’s a super young player with upside. Just another B grader.

Peatling had 15 possessions and a goal, hardly anything to write home about. He’s already 24 as well so it’s not like he’s a super young player with upside. Just another B grader.
You realise he was doing a tagging role right? In GWS midfield he gets pushed out to a roleplayer but for us he is absolutley a midfield starter. No coincidence 4 clubs are chasing him. Would get plenty of opportunity and not just as a role player, alongside Steele and Clark. Peatling > Mccrae > Sheil

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Does he tag every week? He averages 14 touches?
Often played as a sub or role player / run with due to the depth of GWS midfield. Also not really a fan of judging a player based on their on their disposal count, thats finger nail deep. Dylan Shiel averages 21 a game :think: should go after him.

As a club with ample Salary cap, we should be aiming to bring players in. Sure offer a reasonable offer and I'm sure the club will no doubt. But if we have to bump it a bit to get above the 4 clubs chasing then why not? thats what cap space is for! I guess the selling point for coming to us is a much thinner midfield to break into and play a proper onball role.

Last edited:
Does he tag every week? He averages 14 touches?

Been sub a number of times, 6 in total
Pushed out of the middle a few times (when GWS have all there mids)

Combined, would effect his numbers considerably.

What i do know,

He's a tacking machine
He wins clearances as good as anyone if he's allowed off the tagging role
Gun tagger yet will still impact unlike other taggers
Would be the saints second best mid
Will still be 24 for all of next season

Remember last year when we said we wanted to lure bayside kids back to the area. Now is the time to put our money where our mouth is.

8 & next year's first for Finn Callaghan. If the GIANTS are feeling generous they could upgrade Crows second (that we have) for pick 15ish.

Edit: much better edit 🤣

Last edited:
Remember last year when we said we wanted to lure bayside kids back to the area. Now is the time to put our money where our mouth is.

8 & next year's first for Finn Callaghan. If the Swans are feeling generous then ask for the silly Norf compo pick coming back our way.
why would the Swans trade Finn Callahan?

I'm not sure GWS would be happy if they did

On SM-A156E using BigFooty.com mobile app

8 & next year's first for Finn Callaghan. If the Swans are feeling generous then ask for the silly Norf compo pick coming back our way.
Brayden Campbell, being played as sub, exquisite left foot and heaps of speed.

Brayden Campbell, being played as sub, exquisite left foot and heaps of speed.
He’s the one I’d be after. Can definitely see him doing an Ed Richards/Haydn Young.

If we get essentially get Houston for Battle then it is a significant net gain. Draft picks are a lottery. Houston gives us guaranteed top tier football for several years. It’s a no brainer.

While I’m at it I’d throw pick 7 and next years first for Petracca. Add those two to our best 22 and have a better run with injuries and we are a premiership threat in an even competition.
That’s a huge no to both from me.
Hadn’t Houston said he wants to stay at Port?
The baggage associated with a 29 yo Petracca is just ridiculous crazy.
We all on hear be Ian about Hannerbury ,well this is 3 times bigger risk
1.2 million contract which would be guaranteed for next 5 years.
29 and played as an inside bull and all banged up.
Coming off a major injury which he has admitted he us struggling to come to terms with mentally and physically
Lastly if above doesn’t raise red flags I have questions about his star factor in a lowly side without Oliver.
It’s big no from me.

I don’t think Houston suits our list profile. But I absolutely think that pick 8 and a second rounder is just about right value for him.

Even if we don’t want him we should be trying to get neck deep in a trade for him, knowing that Port do not have a first round pick this year.

I’ll throw one out there:

North get:
Houston & 24 (from St Kilda)

Port Adelaide get:
Pick 8 (from St Kilda) & 22 (from North)

St Kilda get Pick 2 (from North) and Pick 37 (from PA) and Pick 40 (from North)

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back