List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon it's a job to smoke out who Chompers Morris' contact is.

Throw a few ungettable names around & whoever was fed Merrett's name will be summarily executed by RTB immediately.

It better not be the trainee receptionist.

If you think the Carlton game was a dead rubber, you didn't watch the game closely enough. I understand the no mental pressure to perform bit, but with the kitchen sink being thrown and no incentive to win, the boys got the job done. Worth plenty.
Saints defeated an injury riddled Carlton team. We get all the claps! Far out some people really overrate our list on here.
I’m interested in how many wins Saints can secure in the first 12 rounds. Not backend wins once the season is gone.

Only we now have agreements and avenues to grow, North picked up the angry racist bloke that punches things instead.

No one goes full North like North.

Pretty sure Robert Downy Junior advised me never to go full North.

He's on a six year deal, which is said to be front ended, so he's not going to free up a lot of gap for the bombers.
If we "can" somehow pry him out it leaves a lot of questions about player contracts.
Why would you want to front end a contract if they can walk away from the back end?
I'm pretty sure GAJ did that to the Suns. When his contract started to reduce significantly he announced he'd like to go home.

Saints defeated an injury riddled Carlton team. We get all the claps! Far out some people really overrate our list on here.
I’m interested in how many wins Saints can secure in the first 12 rounds. Not backend wins once the season is gone.
We did have 6 of our own best 22 out.

The 6/8 wins on the run home are irrelevant to an extent IMO... our skills, intensity & game style for the back end of the season were mostly outstanding. If we'd played like that in the 1st half of the season then all of those close losses could well have gone the other way.

Wow wee what a negative bunch of defeatist sooks we are.

In this thread we have.

1. Our list has our best players knocking on the age of 30....

(We're likely to have the least amount of players retire in the AFL over the next two years- especially of Crouch does injury retire this year)

2. The assumption that St Kilda are throwing silly money at everyone irresponsibly

(Whilst it has been well documented that St Kilda refused to pay above market value for Battle)

3. The assumption that it would take a left nut and 42 first round picks to get a Merret trade done

(With no refrence source stating any trade costs to date)

4. We're top far away from contending to trade for a 28 year old.

(Despite playing finals last year and falling short in a year filled with injuries, having a comparatively strong record against the finals sides than those playing finals, finishing the year in strong form and losing multiple games by a low margin)

‐--------------------

In a competition that has been acknowledged as one of the most even ones ever, you lot go-ahead and assume the worst....

I'll sit here and continue to believe a couple smart moves could have us contending over the next 4 years.

On track for the below imo.

2025 - 5th to 8th
2026- 3rd to 8th
2027- 1st to 6th

Only player I see on the list who from an age and body perspective cant play that out is Crouch.

I don't think anyone on here was raving when we beat Richmond by eight goals in an actual dead rubber (nothing riding on the game for anyone).

Cats and Blues had plenty to play for. When your team wins, enjoy it. I think those wins were a good sign.

I'm pretty sure GAJ did that to the Suns. When his contract started to reduce significantly he announced he'd like to go home.
And he paid for it.

Geelong gave what amounted to a future second for Ablett.
I will be happy to take Merrett if we can get him for a future 2nd.
Would be worth it just for the outraged bomber fans.

7+8 Clark and Coffield 2017, Moses is still a boy
The 20-30 range for that draft is unbelievably good. 5 of them have made the AA40 as well as Fritsch (pick 31). TDK and Balta in there as well. Meanwhile of the top 20, only picks 1&2 have made it. Everyone keeps on saying how deep and even the draft is, maybe it will turn out in a similar fashion.

Doubt it happens but turning 7+8 into Merrett + a couple of early/mid 2nds would be a decent outcome IMO. A proven elite player who instantly makes us better, plus it's possible that we end up with a couple of better players than if we held 7+8 (e.g. GWS picking Brent Daniels and Sam Taylor at 27+28 in the Clark/Coffield year).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on the Merrett trade talk i'd say Tom Morris achieved what he wanted and that was clicks on X & speculation with his name in lights well done Tom & BF posters as you have Saints & bombers talking about it.
Whilst it is his job to get clicks, I highly doubt he's completely made this story up just to do so.

If you need to stick a big neon sign pointed at Moorabbin saying lots of free money here if you can kick a football….

I’d say it’s because they can’t seem to sell the club in a better way to land top talent.

the fact we threw stupid money at multiple free and pre agents and have struck out isn’t a great sign
OK - we'll do nothing then and give our excess money back to the AFL or pay underperforming players twice what they are worth. I'm sure that will improve our standing in the league.

You can't deny the facts - we are a small Melbourne club, we do not get the benefits from the AFL that bigger membership clubs get, therefore we are not seen as a destination club for elite talents.

So we have to offer well overs to even get a look in or settle for chasing the good to very good rather than the elite (eg Crouch & Hill) or look at risky players (either injury or behavioral - Hannebery, Cerra & De Goey, Thomas).

Then hopefully we can get lucky with drafting, play some finals for a couple of years in a row and then maybe just maybe we'll look more attractive to the elites in the game.

But until that happens its chuck money and hope someone is prepared to pick it up.

OK - we'll do nothing then and give our excess money back to the AFL or pay underperforming players twice what they are worth. I'm sure that will improve our standing in the league.

You can't deny the facts - we are a small Melbourne club, we do not get the benefits from the AFL that bigger membership clubs get, therefore we are not seen as a destination club for elite talents.

So we have to offer well overs to even get a look in or settle for chasing the good to very good rather than the elite (eg Crouch & Hill) or look at risky players (either injury or behavioral - Hannebery, Cerra & De Goey, Thomas).

Then hopefully we can get lucky with drafting, play some finals for a couple of years in a row and then maybe just maybe we'll look more attractive to the elites in the game.

But until that happens its chuck money and hope someone is prepared to pick it up.

We'll need to get really really lucky in the draft if we expect to get some good players after throwing our best picks away.

If top clubs had the choice of midfielders between Merrett or the Saints midfielders, who would they pick..I think we know the answer. Get him if we can.

How long would our club last if , every year we gave away a decent 25 YO for a draft pick, then traded that, and our regular draft pick for a 29 year old?

If we had an overabundance of young players, sure go ahead.

Essendon fans by and large aren’t against losing Zach if it means two first rounders and a young player like Naz. They see it as the perfect way to kick start the necessary rebuild.

St Kilda fans are happy to take him on for a future second.

Lol.

It’s magnificent trolling by Tom Brown Morris.

Last edited:
This is assuming we get pick 8 to start with.

Ultimately it is 7 & 8 for Merrett & 9. Which is basically Merrett for 7. Dreaming. They would ask for 7, 8 & Phillipou.

Not sure why saints would even go for him at this stage. Morris probably got wind of some half conversation and reported it, which is fair enough. But 99.999% chance it goes nowhere, which would for the best.
If there are advanced talks then you’d think there’s got to be a big push via his manager or player.

As you say, I can’t see on earth Essendon trading him and I hope we are saved from ourselves - stealing from the future for a bit better 3-4 years.

Just on the Merrett trade talk i'd say Tom Morris achieved what he wanted and that was clicks on X & speculation with his name in lights well done Tom & BF posters as you have Saints & bombers talking about it.
Hopefully Zac comes out and refutes it. You should never dish out first rounders for someone nearing 30 unless you’re contending in GFs.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back