List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

They probably don't impact for 3 to 5 years so realistically we need both. We can't delay improvement for another 5 years. Careers will have come and gone in that time.
Pretty sure the club realizes this.

Looks like we will get two young midfielders for the long term, and surround them with some older talent (Macrae/Jones) in the short term to make sure we stay competitive.

We have to be aiming to get a toe hold in finals next year, as that experience will be important for future campaigns.

The most important cog after this draft will be the continued development of our 50 gamers.

We really, really need the likes of King, Windhager, Owens, Phillipou, Byrnes, Caminiti, Naz, and Sharman to become consistent solid citizens capable of driving on field success. Dow and Clark need to stand up too.

Sprinkle in a little bit of growth from our second year players Hastie, Garcia, Schoenmaker, Collard & Wilson and maybe Max Hall.

And keep the old heads injury free so they can keep producing close to their best football.

If the club doesn’t recruit another ruck then we are also placing massive expectations on Heath to step up and show he’s capable backup.

Last edited:
I don't think Henry will ever be a full-time midfielder, he's just too damaging and valuable forward of centre

He might attend 40% cbas but I'd say he'd always push forward with a half forward replacing him in stoppages (maybe a Windy-type). Similar role to Kozzy Pickett or Tom Papley
If he's attending 40 or 50% CBAs that's a huge difference for our midfield.

Okay hear me out. If we get Pick 8 like we’re hoping for, we trade it to a team that has two late teens picks, and then send one of them to the Dogs for Smith. Their board seems to have accepted that they won’t get a top 10 pick for him, so we could potentially offer a teen pick that’s better than what the Cats offer.

I find it strange that he hasn’t nominated Geelong yet. Maybe he’s waiting for our compensation pick to be announced?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I could see him becoming Hill's replacement. Played a good year on the wing last year.
He's wasted on the wing imo. Had so many junk touches on the wing at Freo it literally made him look like a bad player bc it was just easy and ineffective ball. Would much rather his 15-20 touches forward half disposals over 30 junk disposals

Henry could become a star of the comp with the correct development path, you don't waste these types on a wing. Leave that for role players like Byrnes

Question we should be asking around Kennedy is why are the Bluescum happy for him to have a look around?

If he is that good .... why isn't he getting played as a full time mid in a team that barely squeezed into the 8?

Bringing in one extra experienced inside mid to replace Crouch/Ross is enough and Macrae is a better player than Kennedy .... keep in mind that we need to give our young players more opportunities as well to develop
Voss seems to lack flexibility. They also have Walsh, Cripps and Cerra all extremely inside players.

But yeah I would worry about Kennedy and how he'd effect the midfield mix. But if we think he's a much better player than he's currently showing I can understand the appeal aswell.

But Kennedy has been reported as telling Carlton he wants to play inside midfield.

He feels frustrated that he is being played out of position on a wing or a flank. The reason he wants a trade is to be the full time midfield bull.

We have Steele and now Macrae to fill that role. And potentially other developing lads in the team and whoever we draft.

I doubt he wants to go to another club unless they can assure him that he will play that role.
Steele and Macca will fill the inside mid roll part of the time. They need to be rotated. Kennedy could be part of the rotation.

Comparing Hunter Clark and Matthew Kennedy, they are pretty similar in terms of stats: https://www.afl.com.au/stats/compar...ayerOneId=CD_I1001398&playerTwoId=CD_I1002264

Though Clark has had more injuries. Kennedy could be a good cheap pick up.

Pretty sure the club realizes this.

Looks like we should get two young midfielders for the long term, and surround them with some older talent (Macrae/Jones) in the short term to make sure we stay competitive.

We have to be aiming to get a toe hold in finals next year, as that experience will be important for future campaigns.

The most important cog after this draft will be the continued to development of our 50 gamers.

We really, really need the likes of King, Windhager, Owens, Phillipou, Byrnes, Caminiti, Naz, and Sharman to become consistent solid citizens capable of driving on field success. Dow and Clark need to stand up too.

Sprinkle in a little bit of growth from our second year players Hastie, Garcia, Schoenmaker, Collard & Wilson and maybe Max Hall.

And keep the old heads injury free so they can keep producing close to their best football.

If the club doesn’t recruit another ruck then we are also placing massive expectations on Heath to step up and show he’s capable backup.
Has NWM, Pou, Windy, Owens, Wilson or Garcia had an impact.
They all had impacts very quickly, nothing like 3,-5 years.
People still think recruits are like they were when Riewoldt was drafted. They are AFL ready from day 1, although they take time to develop into the player at their peak.

For anyone to think the top 10 draftees will have no impact immediately I think is living in the past.
Will they be Joel Selwood or Dangerfield? No, but to think they will have no impact flies in the face of what actually happens.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Has NWM, Pou, Windy, Owens, Wilson or Garcia had an impact.
They all had impacts very quickly, nothing like 3,-5 years.
People still think recruits are like they were when Riewoldt was drafted. They are AFL ready from day 1, although they take time to develop into the player at their peak.

For anyone to think the top 10 draftees will have no impact immediately I think is living in the past.
Will they be Joel Selwood or Dangerfield? No, but to think they will have no impact flies in the face of what actually happens.

NAS is very good now. Is it his third year? He is the quickest to come on in years. For every NAS and Sheezel there are much more that are slow burn. Wilson was good but neither are starring in the midfield.

So far we have Macca and no one else so I’m not sure there’s a problem getting Kennedy.
ATM we need around 7 spots filled with Crouch likely to not go on and there could be more to follow.
Not sure how many draft picks we’ll use, and I’m seriously hoping we use a future 3rd for Macca, because pick 43 would be our 4 picks as it stands. Hopefully 43 is either an academy of fs.

NAS is very good now. Is it his third year? He is the quickest to come on in years. For every NAS and Sheezel there are much more that are slow burn. Wilson was good but neither are starring in the midfield.
Naz was good in his second year, Pou played every game in his first, came back at the end of his second looking terrific, Wilson played every game and used his tank every game and was almost BoG v Geelong.
They aren't Reid, but to say they have no impact is patently not true.

Kennedy has the better consistency and his best has probably been better. Unlucky to go to two clubs with deep midfields.

Last year we tried playing Bytel. We dropped him and he was picked up. Amazingly.
Anyway Kennedy is way way way better than Bytel and more versatile.

My god.

SOS & Gubby better be driving to SDKs house tonight.

Future first on the table immediately and get it done.
Want. But until we're consistently looking like making finals I'd be very reluctant to part with a future first in an even comp that only has 3 dud teams. Melbourne getting pick 5 for an 11-win season is unprecedented. I'm bullish on our progress but it's still not impossible to see us in the same boat next year without the easy fixture. No first rounder also makes the pursuit of Callaghan etc much harder.

I'd be happy to part with the Battle pick, with some picks coming back if it happens to be pick 8.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back