List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well no not really.

The cost would be minimal. So the impact on what we are trying to do at the draft would be nil.

If Melbourne paid a slab of his contract they would want a better draft pick. We are protecting our early picks and won’t do that.

If we paid all of his wage the Trade Price would be lower but our salary cap is impacted for another 6 years.

We wouldn’t be getting Oliver totally on the cheap. We are paying a price one way or another.

But it’s been reported today that Geelong are a real chance of getting him. How he fits in to their salary cap is unfathomable because they don’t have the early picks to have Melbourne offset his salary.

not announced officialy but the proposed changes by the AFL

The other thing(s) about this is that

1 - Pity the media don't recognise who led the charge in getting these changes up. Bassat has been all over this from the start of the year all the way up to when the AFL announced the changes in August.

2 - the discount for F/S has now been cut from 20% to 10%.

So rather than having to find 2400 points to match a Pick 1, in 2026 clubs will need to find 2700 points with a reduced spread of picks available.

Then what needs to happen is for clubs to then not give the opposition a free hand out by not selecting the best player in the draft just because they are f/s or academy.

On SEN they were saying we have the third most games played by our academy kids and one of the better academy zones. We might have just killed our golden goose by cracking the shits. We probably get Cam McKenzie's little brother and a few other good ones in the next few years.

God listening to Barrett, Jenkins and Johnson as a St Kilda supporter is incredibly challenging....

A caller actually made the best point of the day when he mentioned Lions didn't just get Ashcroft, they got Dunkley as well. That's the part that was glossed over, the double dipping kills it.

I love how Johnson named every single father son and academy pick in history but omitted any Dogs, eg Darcy, JUH... convenient when they got a leg up as premier as well.

The only half interesting bit was when the Geelong mouthpiece, ie Josh Jenkins brought up SDK in relation to getting Oliver and Smith. Basically said can't pay them all or words to that effect, I'm manifesting this one big time! But Jenkins was no doubt quite positive about Oliver, which probably means Oliver to Geelong is more chance of happening than not.
You're forgetting that the Lions also got Gunston and McKenna in that trade period as well. Quadruple dipping.

I suppose right now, it’s up to each individual and which journo you want to believe.

Jon Ralph & Jay Clark

The AFL’s free agency period kicks off on Friday, with compensation for St Kilda over Josh Battle’s departure the most intriguing question mark given a six-year Hawks offer of just under $900,000 a season
Cal Twomey

Josh Battle's six-year deal at Hawthorn will net St Kilda either a first-round selection or end-of-first-round pick, with the contract expected to be on the verge of the band one grading. That would hand the Saints picks No.7 and 8.

Probably easier if you stick with these guys 😂
God it better be front ended.

Part of me likes all the compromises the AFL has baked into the system whether that is Father Son Academy Points Bidding Free Agency Compensation it opens the door for the smart operators to work the system. But that does not mean it is fair.

Reality is our Father Son access was stunted for years because we had a rotating list of ordinary players for so many years in the 70's and 80's that hardly anyone reached the qualifying 100 games. That should balance out moving forward. Either way it is a complete free hit when you get a Daicos Ashcroft Darcy come through the fact that in all those cases the teams can use the rules to trade out their 1st rounder to bring in another good player as well as the Father Son is just piling on the compromises

Northern Academies are serving the expansion of the game but are fast becoming too big an advantage particularly in Queensland

NGA's are a complete joke would any of Owens Windhager JUH Quaynor etc not played football if they didn't exist. They only exist and have been fully re-instated at the draft as a counter balance to compensate all the other clubs for the Northern Academies out weighted success.

Free Agency compensation is a weird way of penalising every other club than the two clubs involved in the free agency. Increasingly it is actually encouraging clubs near the bottom to push good players out to increase their draft hand. Free Agency in general has turned into a way of players moving from small poor teams to big teams completely the opposite of what was intended.

System needs a complete reset make the top 10 of the draft open to all.
  • If you are one of the top 10 whether you are academy or Father Son or not you go where drafted.
  • Then the Top 10 get paid maybe triple the rookie wage as compensation/reward for being top 10.
  • Means the teams that miss the eight get access to the 10 best players in the draft.
  • Only the elite handful of Academy and Father Sons miss out on going to their club of choice.
  • Makes the top 10 a special thing on draft night
  • Free Agency compensation starts with Band 1 at Pick 11 maximum
  • Academy's and Father Sons can be bid on etc as per normal from Pick 10 onwards
  • The draft becomes more speculative after pick 10 anyway and in some ways apart from the elite few a sense of obligation to an Academy prospect or Father Son could actually be counter productive
  • Ultimately it is the Heeney Ashcroft Darcy JUH picks that are the most damaging to the draft get rid of them and leave the rest

Wow what a day to be a Saints fan today.

Literally us against the world. The absolute pile on has been insane. Not helped by influential media types pushing an ill informed narrative, which only lends itself to more pile on and hate on our club.

Last night I was proud of our stance but today I can’t say anything has been good for the mental state. I do feel for my family who are currently on the wrong end of the mood.

All we need is Band 2 compo now to top it all off.

not announced officialy but the proposed changes by the AFL

What garbage. Should terminate at end of round 2.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bring on the pile on I say - nothing gets changed unless you change it!!!

No issue with FS, just make the price fair!! This handful of junk picks for top 10 selections is bullshit, as is the unlimited locked away academies for Northern clubs, which is literally side-stepping the draft, and again allowing top end selections to be taken for a handful of junk picks !!

Wow what a day to be a Saints fan today.

Literally us against the world. The absolute pile on has been insane. Not helped by influential media types pushing an ill informed narrative, which only lends itself to more pile on and hate on our club.

Last night I was proud of our stance but today I can’t say anything has been good for the mental state. I do feel for my family who are currently on the wrong end of the mood.

All we need is Band 2 compo now to top it all off.
Just wait until they release next year's fixture. Eight interstate trips, one overseas, six five day breaks and a trip to the moon.

Not a dig at your mate and thanks for sharing... but this sort of reasoning from players is absolutely pissweak.

Get financial advice and plan for your future. Don't come crying and whinging when their career is over and they have nothing left. "Young bloke" doesn't get you past 20, they're a damn adult!

Zero sympathy for those who "blow" it away. And the AFL is full of shit with their drug policies, always has been. Joke of a place.

He woke up to the punt relatively early tbf. Lost more than we could imagine, but ended up in a good place when he finished up. But plenty weren’t and still wouldn’t be. Punting is absolutely rife at a AFL level. Reckon it would be for any young blokes with access to high end cash straight out of school.

Drug use IMO is fine at a “party” level. Tipping most of us enjoy a beer or two. Because alcohol is accepted by society doesn’t mean it’s any better for you than a line or two. In fact id argue it’s worse. If alcohol was only discovered tomorrow it would be up there with heroin in terms of affect and legality.

Re clarry though. My impression was he was just a party boy, who was targeted by the media. If he is actually sucking on the see through didgeridoo regularly, as has been reported by a few posters, I’ll change my tune on his potential recruitment.

If you truly want to make father son fairer and more equitable, then lets bring in some changes:

Father son selections give a disproportionate advantage to successful teams. With the minimum number of qualifying games for father / son to be eligible, being 100 games, teams that were at the bottom of the ladder have had far, far fewer players good enough to reach that minimum qualifying number. So from 2025 onwards it could be:

- minimum of 100 games for teams that finished in the final (top 8), two years either side of the year of birth of the father / son selection

- so if the son was born in 2007, and the father played anytime for Collingwood across the 2005-2009 period, and they played finals at this time, the 100 game minimum would apply

- but if the son was born in 2007 and the father played anytime for Essendon across the 2005 - 2009 period, and they did not play finals at this time a 50 game minimum would apply

Further changes would still need to be made so that bidding for father / son were of equal access, but this removes a real disadvantage from teams that have not had long term success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back