Ruckman
Key defender (Phillips)
Sandy rookie

3 more:
Pick 7
Pick 8
Pick 32
Pick 47

So we're basically over by one and have to sacrifice one of the potential Ins I listed

**** Sandy
Don't forget Hall needs a spot too.

Me thinks we'll forego the KPD whilst Hofmann probably lands as a catB.
47 likely won't get used either as it's really in the wrong place for a bid on Cole. All but pick 7 is tradebait.

Exit the draft with 1-2 list spots remaining and have a rummage through the trash.

As luck would have it, it’s probably the worst year to introduce the Sandy rookie. A combination of no standout sandy players and a supposedly deep and a ripper of a draft. Of course, none of this would have been known in hindsight when this initiative was planned out.
Think that's a cop out tbh.

Our arrangement didn't give us any priority access to Sandy players (obviously or every club would have such an arrangement), so basically we've committed to taking the best Sandy player that no other club wants.

Was a really poor decision. I understand the logic behind it (bring better players to Sandy to help develop our youngsters), but in reality the minuscule advantages to our player development, which clearly hasn't eventuated yet, is not worth the price of sacrificing a list spot.

We basically got McLobster for nothing taking the pick swap with Brissy into account

well we had to make a downgrage from 27 to 32, so that is basically what we paid for McLobster. The good news is that most picks between 27 and 32 will go to academy bids so it will be more line a slide from pick 27 to 28 or 29... which will end up as a slide from 32 to 33 or 34...

The only annoying thing in the trade is that our 45 ended up at Geelong... So why didt we give 47 instead?? Made no difference to Bulldogs, and Geelong were already paying unders for Smith

List spots currently:

Out: Allison, Battle, Bonner, Campbell, Ross, James Van Es
In: Macrae, Hall

Assume out: Crouch, Paton, Hayes, Membrey, Hotton

9 list spots remain:
Cole
Hofmann
Peckett
Ruckman
Key defender (Phillips)
Sandy rookie

3 more:
Pick 7
Pick 8
Pick 32
Pick 47

So we're basically over by one and have to sacrifice one of the potential Ins I listed

**** Sandy

I think Cole and possibly Hofmann will get bid on at the draft. I also think/hope the club will come to an agreement with Sandringham to allow one of the kids that played there fill their rookie agreement.

I think we split pick #8 for two later picks and take a key tall or a mobile Ruckman at the draft eg pick #32 Simms, Gerryn.

Unless we find a ready to play CHB, I believe Caminiti will be groomed to be our next CHB.

I highly doubt we will miraculously find another mature No 1 ruckman, that will allow Marshall to play forward. So Sharman & Owens are going to have to step up big time OR even Keeler to have a huge off season and play forward.

Possible 2025 team:

Webster Howard Wilkie
Sinclair Caminiti Wanganeen-Milera
Hill Macrae Wilson
Higgins Sharman Phillipou
Henry King Owens

Marshall, Steele, Windhager

Int from: Garcia, Butler, Wood, Jones, Byrnes, Clark, Dow, pick #7, pick #8 (?).

The forward line does look a key forward short with Caminiti at CHB. So would love to include another ruckman so Marshall can go forward. It may mean that we have to give Hayes another year.

Doing a team is a worth while exercise it just highlights how many list holes (or list cloggers) we still have. Inside out burst speed remains a key need through our midfield. Do a reserves side and our lack of depth is even more evident.

Last edited:
Don't forget Hall needs a spot too.

Me thinks we'll forego the KPD whilst Hofmann probably lands as a catB.
47 likely won't get used either as it's really in the wrong place for a bid on Cole. All but pick 7 is tradebait.

Exit the draft with 1-2 list spots remaining and have a rummage through the trash.
Read the post again

"The package has arrived."

Can you imagine working for a club and having to tweet this to excite your fans?

Can you imagine being a fan of a club who tweeted this in an effort to get you excited? Imagine this being the high point of your trade period!

It’s not about the destination, it’s about the friends you make along the way.

Saying that, what a waste of two weeks. Put them all in a room for an afternoon, give them a jug of milk and put some cameras around the place.
They really are ruining everything. I don't bother watching the draft anymore, don't watch oppo teams, or finals this year either. Going to games is also unbearable now days.
At 7pm tonight I'd had enough and took the dog for a walk. The "product" sux.

I really shouldn’t leave channel 9 on in the background when I’m mustering up a crafty wank…really off putting seeing Barrett staring at you
...Jesus 😲
I'm all for a bit of kink during sexy times...but that's some psychologically damaging shit right there.
Are you okay?

Can you imagine working for a club and having to tweet this to excite your fans?

Can you imagine being a fan of a club who tweeted this in an effort to get you excited? Imagine this being the high point of your trade period!

Players scandal in the media and this to boot.
Not a great off-season so far.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawks my tip to have a massive regression.

Similar to us making finals the other year and then falling off this year.
Massive? Maybe not. Barrass and Battle shore up a defense, allow the brown and yellow capitán Sicily to go forward, another year of progress into their youngsters. Mitchell a good coach, allegedly.

But without the element of surprise and a tougher draw, I'd expect them to slip back a rung or two on the ladder.

I honestly think Macrae is so underrated. Yes the guy has just turned 30, but has been a star for years. He's been played out of position by a foolish coach, he will shock the hell out of anyone who is doubting him.

He is such a smart footballer, he sees angles that don't exist to most guys. Is a great mix of inside/outside and best of all, will be the perfect pairing with Steele. He isn't lightning fast, but we'll consistently get 30 plus from him and our forwards will be salivating at his acquisition. He's not Harvs, but he has some of the traits that made Banger so good.

Great person and the perfect role model for our kids to learn from.

Now look away Dogs fans. Due to the pick swaps we did, pick 45 basically came for free. So in essence, Macrae was basically a free hit with his contract. If he was a free agent and we gave him the same contract, he'd be band 2 or 3. Much better than 45 hey.

Anyway, can't wait to see him play for us for the next 5 years.

It is hard to imagine that GWS has fans, but I'm sure that most of the 16 of them will be disappointed.

Think that's a cop out tbh.

Our arrangement didn't give us any priority access to Sandy players (obviously or every club would have such an arrangement), so basically we've committed to taking the best Sandy player that no other club wants.

Was a really poor decision. I understand the logic behind it (bring better players to Sandy to help develop our youngsters), but in reality the minuscule advantages to our player development, which clearly hasn't eventuated yet, is not worth the price of sacrificing a list spot.
Exactly. Seems to be a misunderstanding on this. They aren’t academy kids. We can only take kids that aren’t good enough to be taken across both drafts.

If the attraction of coming to Sandy works and someone develops at 19/20, then they get taken by one club, so we have 1/18 chance. The attraction for kids to sign on is that Sandy brings in 18yo (largely) who aren’t going to strengthen Sandy all that much either.

How about Sandy’s recruiters do their jobs and attract decent mid career / VFL guns and help our kids develop by occasionally sneaking into the finals.

How on earth does that flog get a job let alone being on every single fricken medium, show, wank screen.

What an absolute douche.
We're talking about him aren't we?

Pundits aren't assessed on the value of the insights they provide, they're assessed on the engagement they generate.

People who read sliding doors every week to see what dribble he's spouting this week generates as much revenue as people who think it's great (if they exist).

If we want people like Barrett and Cornes to go away we need to stop consuming their content.

To be honest though, I think the sport would be a bit boring without the nuffies.

Loved this. From Ralph: Apparently Hawthorn did well by paying under 900k for Battle (the number is dubious) and between him and Barrass has them near premiership favourite.

But we conned the AFL with Battle’s compo.

Yet a big club picked up a very good and underrated player for free. But that’s all good.

Now look away Dogs fans. Due to the pick swaps we did, pick 45 basically came for free. So in essence, Macrae was basically a free hit with his contract. If he was a free agent and we gave him the same contract, he'd be band 2 or 3. Much better than 45 hey.

8mWUsk8.gif

We're talking about him aren't we?

Pundits aren't assessed on the value of the insights they provide, they're assessed on the engagement they generate.

People who read sliding doors every week to see what dribble he's spouting this week generates as much revenue as people who think it's great (if they exist).

If we want people like Barrett and Cornes to go away we need to stop consuming their content.

To be honest though, I think the sport would be a bit boring without the nuffies.
Soz.

But take that last sentence back. That’s ban worthy.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.3

Remove this Banner Ad

Back