List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

It will be disappointing not to have two top 10 picks but the difference between pick 8 vs pick 19 could be quite negligible given the evenness of picks between around 8-30. That’s my glass half full view. Anyway, nothing we can do. Just hope we pick a good kid and develop him well.
If it ends up being 19, we move on. It's probably around the mark.

The appeal of losing Battle has always been getting overs for him. Pick 8 is definitely overs.

Battle is a really solid player but he is not a great one-v-one defender. Pick 8 would be amazing for him. But like you I don't see it happening, and realistically pick 19 is probably just slight unders.

So let me get this straight. Bailey “Tony Montana” Smith and Clarence Oliver who have had their “off field issues” are going to get a fresh start and clean up their act in … checks notes GEELONG??????
As a operator of a pub in Geelong, I can't wait to see clarry at 4am in the pokies $$$$

It will be interesting how much outrage there will be directed at Basset if it is Band 2. Personally, I think that his comment won’t change a thing. They will spend half their life on the phone with Basset if they screw us. If anything, perhaps tipping into 1.

Also interesting how much outrage there will be from other supporters if it is B1 - “omg, you can just whinge now and get what you want”, “it’s a bloody hand out for a rabble of a club”.
It shouldn't change anything. All he did was tell supporters what he's been saying directly to the AFL for months.

When my kids were keeping me up all I could do was watch reruns of the Sullivans or play basic PC golf.

My youngest liked the fake birds chirping from the old screen.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I got through all 5 seasons of The Wire and most of Breaking Bad when I was up with my boys! Very enjoyable but I hope there's no lingering mental effects

As a operator of a pub in Geelong, I can't wait to see clarry at 4am in the pokies $$$$
Actually, this reminds me of a MPCA cricket club that shall remain nameless. They paid their best player ridiculous amounts of money because they knew it was just going to be fed back in to their pokies anyway. So it looks like there will be an extra mill in revenue for Geelong pokies venues for 2025

It shouldn't change anything. All he did was tell supporters what he's been saying directly to the AFL for months.

Also, it was at a friggen B&F, if you can't be one eyed in your pres speech at that event, when can you be? Bunch of precious oxygen stealing thieves spouting nonsense in media about such things to validate their miserable existences as small town voyeurs.

If they were in doubt they would be campaigning in the media etc.

They would be setting the narrative that we got absolutely screwed.

It will be disappointing not to have two top 10 picks but the difference between pick 8 vs pick 19 could be quite negligible given the evenness of picks between around 8-30. That’s my glass half full view. Anyway, nothing we can do. Just hope we pick a good kid and develop him well.

I can't agree with this. You mention the evenness of pick between around 8-30. I see a few tiers, first tier of around 6-8 all have elite potential. Next tier of around 6-8 all high potential with more question marks, next tier of 10-15 all could be good to very good. Then there are guys like Ough who could go 30+ who could be anything.

So yes, the depth is there in this draft, but I still definitely see clear differences in quality from pick 8 to pick 19.

As you said, nothing we can do though. I think the club has stuffed up big time if we get Band 2, but it's out if our hands now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon Bassat has made a huge misstep with his speech. He has handed the AFL the opportunity to **** us with compo. It will be a very popular public fisting, and no-one will back us up whatsoever.

If the club does only get band 2 compensation then it will support everything Bassat has said. He will be proven right.

Battle band 2 but band 1 for Perryman? And McKay? And going back, James Frawley?

What a nonsense. It’s rubbish.

And Bassat will then unleash the dogs of war on the AFL. He will make their lives an ongoing misery.

I can see Bassat pounding the AFL in the media, forever campaigning for draft equality. Listen to his speech at the B&F. Listen to what he said. Listen to the tone and the calculated context. He would be a very formidable enemy.

The AFL will hate it. Bassat won’t care if he’s a pariah. He will hammer the AFL because all he cares about is St Kilda. And that’s why we love him. Like us, he’s had a gutful of this shit. Time to fix it.

The AFL would be utterly stupid to give us band 2 compensation. They could, but I’d be staggered. All they would be doing is throwing petrol on a raging bonfire.

The AFL are smarter than that.

I can't agree with this. You mention the evenness of pick between around 8-30. I see a few tiers, first tier of around 6-8 all have elite potential. Next tier of around 6-8 all high potential with more question marks, next tier of 10-15 all could be good to very good. Then there are guys like Ough who could go 30+ who could be anything.

So yes, the depth is there in this draft, but I still definitely see clear differences in quality from pick 8 to pick 19.

As you said, nothing we can do though. I think the club has stuffed up big time if we get Band 2, but it's out if our hands now.
I’m not that across the draft so I’ll take your word for it.

Not sure we stuffed anything up. Rather than use the Hawks offer for leverage to improve an offer from us he took their offer and this is despite us offering more in the end.

I have my suspicions that Battle is a dickhead. Would explain why the club didn’t want him at the B&F. I don’t buy that we are petty. There’s more to it IMO.

Agree. First I can recall for 15/20 years? Plympton maybe?
Andrew Plympton was a great Prez....always fighting the fight.

IMO.......the only blemish on his great record which wasn't his fault,were the financials put foward to us going from Waverly Park to Marvel.

They looked initially like "rivers of bucks" which made the move to the "shiny new stadium" look a no brainer although we really had no choice........the Hawks stayed at Waverly Park and bought the joint for $1(that may need a fact check...lol)

Turned out once we'd moved, that all the figures(revenue from food/beverage sales/reserved seats/break even crowds required etc) given to the board were completely wrong.

Things went pear shaped very quickly with us winning the spoon in that first year at Marvel.

The dark years had begun.

Rod Butterss was great at the start of his reign.......until the Mexican Marching Powder got a hold of him when the booze already had a grip of him.

From what I've been told,he was a really great guy despite his issues.

Rod was forever screaming from the roof tops about the completely unfair stadium agreement and the break even crowd numbers needed.

As above....we signed the deal....but with incorrect information.

And....here are......AB is now fighting the fight.

I didn't mind Basset speaking out. First time in a long time Saints have had a voice make some sort of headline. And bottom line, what he said was correct. Father/son is a great tradition but find a way to make it equitable.

Will have absolutely no impact on Battle compensation - how kindergarten do you think these grown adults in meaningful positions are? People at this level simply don't make decisions based on some petty need to put someone like Basset in his place.

For all the hand wringing and alternate formulas in this thread, the Battle compensation will have a significant discretionary component. Will the AFL's thinking have shifted based on Basset's perfectly well argued remarks? Not a millimetre.
A great post there Ricmel.

Agreed.

It’s been annoying listening to it the last 2 days (all I’ve had time for as I’ve got time off with a newborn).

So again, back to my original post. I’m very keen to see what happens on Friday/Compo day.

I imagine Ross/SOS/Mission/Dilena will be doing stuff across SEN & Trade Radio.
Congratulations 🎉

Articles on Roar are written by non professional journalists (Part Timers)
Seeing that you bought up the Roar site....does anyone know if one of the sites regular journos......Cameron Rose.... has something right up his nose against the Saints.

This year and last,he just cannot help but spray the venom when doing his weekly( for the tipping) preview article about us.

It's potshots at 30 paces.

Various journos.....looking at you Purple and Johhno(ex Doggies)love to bag us,but this guy is next level.

I reckon Bassat has made a huge misstep with his speech. He has handed the AFL the opportunity to **** us with compo. It will be a very popular public fisting, and no-one will back us up whatsoever.

The only thing that matters with Bassat's speech is was he speaking the truth. That's it.

I think he has done the opposite. If they do **** us over it is almost proof that what he said is correct. Gill is a massive saints fan. I know he is no longer ceo but surely he has to be able to help a little. Also basset brother in a director. That’s gotta count for something.
Gil won't do shit.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back