List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

This just tells me our attention / priority is probably on getting pick 9 or another first round pick and maybe another couple of later picks.

Sort that out first then talk to Dogs about Macrae.
Interesting that Matt Rosa, Essendon’s list manager all but ruled out moving up the draft. Said it was “unlikely given how the clubs ahead of them rate their high picks”.

Essendon list manager pouring some cold water on the possibility of moving higher up in this draft to get ahead of a Kako bid but are exploring splitting pick 9 with a later pick and future picks. Also mentioned they can wait until draft night before making a call.

Interesting that Matt Rosa, Essendon’s list manager all but ruled out moving up the draft. Said it was “unlikely given how the clubs ahead of them rate their high picks”.
The other key bits of info.

Their current draft hand is: 9,31,86

Essendon list manager pouring some cold water on the possibility of moving higher up in this draft to get ahead of a Kako bid but are exploring splitting pick 9 with a later pick and future picks. Also mentioned they can wait until draft night before making a call.

Matt Rosa actually sounds like a reasonable operator he also mentioned that if the offer presents ahead of the draft that’s good enough then they’ll take it.

If they wait until draft night at or just before their pick then their position weakens, if they go too early they might not get the best deal.

Best case is for them to wait until the pre-draft pick swap period or potentially the opening of draft night around Pick 1.

Would love to know what we have offered so far, is it just the Future 1st alone?

I’m comfortable with the club offering up to Future 1st + 27 (or Future 2nd) + Future 4th

We will likely get a Future 2nd back at some stage in live trading to balance it out.

Sounds to me like we have been hoping someone will offer Membrey a contract that will trigger a compensation pick.

That's probably look less and less likely as the trade period goes on. He was probably our best performed key forward this year so I hope he stays, even if he ends up in the VFL.

Caminiti and Sharman show potential but neither are a sure thing and I'm not sold the two rucks will work so it will be handy to have a back up plan.
The way things are shaping l hope qe keep him for another year and forget about the 3rd tall replacement.

with Macrae nominating us that would do irrepairable damage with other targets in the near future
We have already done irreparable damage by bending over every time we try to get a player and by treating our existing players like dirt.
We are looked at as being up there with Gold Coast as the draft push overs that everyone can just bully into us giving them what they want as they know we will cave.
We paid the earth for Hill because we had committed to him and Freo knew that they could rodger us silly.
We gave a home to Dow, Stocker and Bonner no wonder we are the location of choice for Macrae and Soldo.
To top it off we are pushing out one of our best club stalwarts in Membrey to make room for other team's cast offs.
Strength through loyalty, I don't think so.
At some point you have show that you are not going to be pushed around and if that means we miss out on a couple of over the hill players so be it.
We are not in the hunt for serious footballers anyway they will never come to us over Geelong, Richmond, Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood etc...
We are even behind the Bulldogs and Melbourne as a potential destination and that will not change if we keep showing our soft underbelly.
The only sides we are seriously competing with for players are North and GC, that is a really sad state of affairs.
Showing a bit of guts and being a bit more ruthless will actually improve us as a destination rather than just showing we are weak all the time.
Ryan O'Keefe and Papley both nominated teams they wanted to get to it but trades couldn't be done.
It didn't hurt either Carlton or Hawthorn's ability to trade in players just showed they won't get pushed around.

The other key bits of info.

Their current draft hand is: 9,31,86

I got the impression Rosa wanted to trade pick #9 to collect a couple of later picks in this years draft, they want to remain relevant in this draft. It might include a future, but they definitely want more picks in this draft and I dont think our pick #27 plus a future gets it done.

Last edited:
We have already done irreparable damage by bending over every time we try to get a player and by treating our existing players like dirt.
We are looked at as being up there with Gold Coast as the draft push overs that everyone can just bully into us giving them what they want as they know we will cave.
We paid the earth for Hill because we had committed to him and Freo knew that they could rodger us silly.
We gave a home to Dow, Stocker and Bonner no wonder we are the location of choice for Macrae and Soldo.
To top it off we are pushing out one of our best club stalwarts in Membrey to make room for other team's cast offs.
At some point you have show that you are not going to be pushed around and if that means we miss out on a couple of over the hill players so be it.
We are not in the hunt for serious footballers anyway they will never come to us over Geelong, Richmond, Essendon, Carlton, Collingwood etc...
We are even behind the Bulldogs and Melbourne as a potential destination and that will not change if we keep showing our soft underbelly.
The only sides we are seriously competing with for players are North and GC, that is a really sad state of affairs.
Showing a bit of guts and being a bit more ruthless will actually improve us as a destination rather than just showing we are weak all the time.
Ryan O'Keefe and Papley both nominated teams they wanted to get to it but trades couldn't be done.
It didn't hurt either Carlton or Hawthorn's ability to trade in players just showed they won't get pushed around.
Biggest load of crap I have read on this thread and there has been some crap.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Deary, deary, Calsher deary me

As explained earlier by the fine people in this forum, moving back isn’t a great option for them, as any later first round picks (ie 15+16 from GWS) would still be swallowed by the Kako bid from us at 7.

Moving out of the first round into next year is the clear best option, but who knows what could happen between now and the draft. Us and Melbourne most likely trade targets for 9, but can’t discount Carlton, Dogs, Collingwood.

In 2017 the club followed exactly Callum Toohey's phantom draft

Funny how the club pays recruiters so much and they just follow the media's lead.

Was a complete no risk option, if it goes pear shaped then they just quote everyone else.

I understood the Hunter Clark pick but Coffield was a strange one, we already had his position locked down and we didn't need more backline players. Then we pick up Logan Austin too in the same year.
Callum Twomey doesn’t predict successfully in a vacuum, he talks to clubs and contacts to work out what the clubs are going to do and then publishes it as his prediction. So all he do was find out what the saints intended to do and publish that. It’s not the saints following the media.

Callum Twomey doesn’t predict successfully in a vacuum, he talks to clubs and contacts to work out what the clubs are going to do and then publishes it as his prediction. So all he do was find out what the saints intended to do and publish that. It’s not the saints following the media.

There is a huge difference between his earlier Phantom's and his last Phantom.

I don’t think we are getting pick9.. given the interest in 13 and 11, they’ll have far more appealing offers than what we can give and sounds like they more interested in splitting it
Be interesting to know whom is better. Richmond maybe after the Rioli and Bolton deals.

Probably will only get done way after trade period.

I don’t think we are getting pick9.. given the interest in 13 and 11, they’ll have far more appealing offers than what we can give and sounds like they more interested in splitting it

They can’t split it. Best case for them is that the bid gets to our Pick 7 however Melbourne could bid even earlier at Pick 5. Any splitting or trading back is pointless as per the AFL rules the next best pick (and there after) gets absorbed and reduced until the bid points value is matched.

They have to trade out. Technically after the bid they can trade back in using their futures but they would be losing value by doing so.

They would have to pay overs to get back in and therefore ruining any value that they would have extracted by creating a bidding war for 9 in the first place.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back