List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

All these scenarios are like looking at the menu in a great restaurant. You love it all. You just don’t know what to choose.

Then you do pick…it arrives…..should have chosen something else.

Hope this year is different of course. Recent years been pretty good.

I do like that we are saying nothing. Alpha behaviour.
you talking about us with our various pick package choices,or Ivan with his missus?

Wed need to go full saints to **** it up from where we are.
Jim Carrey Chance GIF

I really don't know why there isn't a little bidding war for Tim Membrey.

To a club in the window, he is absolutely worth 2 years and a decent salary.

Could well be the difference in winning finals for a Collingwood, Brisbane or even Sydney.

There’s always been a big discrepancy between how our fans see Members and how he’s seen externally. No other club in the comp has ever really rated him, and realistically he’s never been close to A grade. I have a soft spot for him but it’s not super surprising to me that he’s not flush with options.

Trade week by the numbers

AFL - 4 days = two trades

Saints Big Footy Trade thread - 60 pages = no trades
i think we got 3,anb darling graham,but yeah what a snoozefest,things might crack open today,because im travelling back from reservoir to the bush on public transport,so guarenteed to be some action that i will miss live

There’s always been a big discrepancy between how our fans see Members and how he’s seen externally. No other club in the comp has ever really rated him, and realistically he’s never been close to A grade. I have a soft spot for him but it’s not super surprising to me that he’s not flush with options.

I think a lot of our players are in that boat. Trade week is a perennial gab fest where it is really hard to understand how we did not win the flag based on the ratings of our player's trade worth.

I agree on Membery - been very serviceable for Saints but can't see that he is in future plans of another club.

Wed need to go full saints to **** it up from where we are.
Whelp. I’m triggered.

There is going to be a whole thread about Clark & Coffield vs Reid & Kako.

triggered GIF

Whelp. I’m triggered.

There is going to be a whole thread about Clark & Coffield vs Reid & Kako.

triggered GIF
Both Coff and Clark were tracking really well. Injury has basically destroyed their careers. Coff can’t seem to break into the bulldogs back line, in hindsight that was the wrong club to choose. He might be out of the afl next year.

All these scenarios are like looking at the menu in a great restaurant. You love it all. You just don’t know what to choose.

Then you do pick…it arrives…..should have chosen something else.

Hope this year is different of course. Recent years been pretty good.

I do like that we are saying nothing. Alpha behaviour.
I’d like a dollar for every time I’ve placed an order and immediately looked at another table and thought I should have got what they’re having.

Let me ask you this, how much better of a player is Stringer over Membrey? Because when you actually compare the two they have very comparable careers.

Its more that hes just an older player with a previous year mired by issues and spotty form. 3 years ago both of those players would have been easily snapped up by other clubs.

Firstly, we’re gonna go hard at free agents next year so hopefully we can land a couple to make up for the lack of draft picks

Secondly, next year’s draft is super compromised so a top 10 pick could easily slide a lot further than it would this year with just Ashcroft Lombard Kako

Thirdly, if we really wanted a pick, we can easily trade a futures pick to get back in

There are plenty of options. By no means are we hamstrung for next year if we go hard for this year’s crop

Trading for picks is never at face value. You always have to pay up for them unless you just happen to be in the right place at the right time. With changes to pick values it will be harder next year. You don't want to flippantly trade in for a bit of instant gratification. The only real advantage is lowering your chances of getting zero high level players in the first round. That said St Kilda is probably the only club that could bust three good first round picks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bevo and their management have ****ed that club, one only has to look at the way they treated their VC at the time, Mitch Wallis. It’s no surprise it’s happening under Ameet Bains’ stewardship, that guy is an E grade operator. You only have to look at what we didn’t achieve when he was at our club.

I reckon Bevo cops it more than he should. He's refreshed a few times and plays kids. He makes brave decisions and consistently has them in the top 8 or challenge mode. He's a player empowerment coach and he seems to let them play on talent which is an attractive brand. Moving old guys out for youth is never going to go down well but sentiment doesn't win flags. I'd swap the Dogs last decade for ours without blinking.

Bains is absolutely overrated. Seems to make some weird contracts, clumsy list management and messy break ups. Didn't rate him at the Saints either.

For anyone who’s behind, the current state of St Kilda’s list as of: 11/10/2024

Out:

Tom Campbell - delisted
Matthew Allison - delisted
Riley Bonner - delisted
James Van Es - delisted
Seb Ross - delisted
Josh Battle - free agency

In:

Pick 8 - free agency band 1 compensation

Current 2024 draft picks: 7, 8, 27, 46

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Let me ask you this, how much better of a player is Stringer over Membrey? Because when you actually compare the two they have very comparable careers.

Its more that hes just an older player with a previous year mired by issues and spotty form. 3 years ago both of those players would have been easily snapped up by other clubs.
Stringer's been All-Australian once and in the squad one other time. His highest coaches votes in a year is 45, with a year of 43 just behind. That makes him comfortably A grade when at his best.

Members has never been close to AA and has never got more than 28 coaches votes. Over his career 0.64 coaches votes per game compared to Stringer averaging 1.0. Relatively fine margins because clearly neither are superstars but imo Stringer has been comfortably better.

Agree that now they're both 30 (pretty much exactly the same age) they don't have super strong selling points for any other club.

Damien Barrett's sliding doors out today....is he the biggest sook in footy journalism?
I'd like to begin an alternative sliding doors, feel free to join me:

IF Damien Barrett hadn't been breastfed until he was 6
THEN he might not squeal like a nine year old girl at trade time when men are doing business.

And if someone with computer skills could just insert an image of that Game of Thrones kid being breastfed....it would make my day.

1728598813455.jpeg

Go for it little Damo!!

Damien Barrett's sliding doors out today....is he the biggest sook in footy journalism?
I'd like to begin an alternative sliding doors, feel free to join me:

IF Damien Barrett hadn't been breastfed until he was 6
THEN he might not squeal like a nine year old girl at trade time when men are doing business.

And if someone with computer skills could just insert an image of that Game of Thrones kid being breastfed....it would make my day.

View attachment 2137763

Go for it little Damo!!
I think whats clear is that Damo actually doesnt understand how the compo works.

If he did he would know that comparing the compo to Lance Franklin is ****ing dumb and if he did he wouldnt be bleating about Battle hed be bleating about McKay.

Also think if people are concerned about robberies in trade week we should be looking at Gold Coast.

Its actually grossly negligent for them to be considering trading pick 6 at all considering they will almost certainly not have to use that on Leo Lombard then add in that they wanna use it for Daniel ****ing Rioli... Pick 13 is fine, they wont get to use that anyway but any other competent club wouldnt ****ing dream of using pick 6 in a trade when they also have an academy kid going somewhere after that pick in the first round.

So many pundits want to talk about how they rate the player...

The "herbs and spices" are:

Age of player
Length of contract
Financial details of contract
Ladder position of club losing player

So Lance Franklin played for the team who won the premiership and James Frawley played for a bottom two team. This means the compensation Frawley draws is likely to be better. This is a redistributive objective of the system, and as such, if we are going to have free agent compensation, I like this aspect.

I think whats clear is that Damo actually doesnt understand how the compo works.

If he did he would know that comparing the compo to Lance Franklin is ****ing dumb and if he did he wouldnt be bleating about Battle hed be bleating about McKay.

Also think if people are concerned about robberies in trade week we should be looking at Gold Coast.

Its actually grossly negligent for them to be considering trading pick 6 at all considering they will almost certainly not have to use that on Leo Lombard then add in that they wanna use it for Daniel ****ing Rioli... Pick 13 is fine, they wont get to use that anyway but any other competent club wouldnt ****ing dream of using pick 6 in a trade when they also have an academy kid going somewhere after that pick in the first round.
I got through about 45 seconds of listening to Purple & that halfwit Brad Johnson moan about Battle's compo (6 days on) yesterday arvo.

They must be intentionally stupid... no way anyone deriving an income for being an 'expert' could be so dense.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.2

Remove this Banner Ad

Back