List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread - No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to take the reports with a grain of salt because it seems they often get it wrong. But, that's really concerning that a player has turned down a million dollars to come to us.

If you look at recent times, most of the times we've gotten free agents and player trades is when we are coming off a good season. Right now players just won't have faith in us. All the more reason to turn the season around and start winning again.

Rumour was romo wanted out, pinch of salt with all this stuff really.
He fact that he's re-signed officially now shows a lot of the rumours were bullshit. He's not going to just turn around one day and sign a five year deal after being gone, this would have been in the works for weeks if not months. The media are so consistently wrong.

Interesting.

I hope that in the event he leaves you are not also lambasting the club for not being able to retain.
I’m not in the camp that would pay Stengle or Battle big money over 6 years. I think those deals are reserved for hard to find key components but I do rate what both bring. It’s also very difficult to make a call on any of these deals without knowing the whole picture. I trust the team in place at moorabbin so I’m backing in whatever they do.

I’m not in the camp that would pay Stengle or Battle big money over 6 years. I think those deals are reserved for hard to find key components but I do rate what both bring. It’s also very difficult to make a call on any of these deals without knowing the whole picture. I trust the team in place at moorabbin so I’m backing in whatever they do.
I just view it in the lens that it is the way the game is going. All clubs are doing it.

If you want to entice someone to come or stay. You need to offer money and security.

They tried. They failed. I don’t blame them. But we need to go the youth approach in it’s entirety this off season.

Not going into bat for or against anyone here but mathematically it is not a million dollar extra if years are taken into account.

3.5 million divided by 5 years is 700k a season
4.5 million divided by 6 years is 750k a season

So over 5 years (the contract amount it is 50k a season) with an extra season added.

No quite as disastrous however the principle still holds true. We can't attract FA's and we can't get quality mids through the draft because of NGA's and FA's.

Can people understand why I wont renew my membership next year. It should be blindingly obvious the clown show at AFL has created a two tiered competition where only their favoured clubs are allowed to win.

The big clubs get block busters every year, they get NGA's when they are finalists and Grand Finalists, they get NGA's just because of their geographic location, they get Father Sons because in the past due to the inequities they had better players who had son who were better at football OR our champs who happened to have daughters.

Then there is the FIXture that perpetuates the inequities. Hope everyone is flocking to the 1.00 pm blockbuster v Port today. Should be a $$$ bonanza.

Some people get sick of gringo on here. Well you will be begging for his content compared to mine about the above treatment of the STKFC.

Just rename us to the Washington Generals.

Would Oliver be worth a shot if you didn't have to give up any significant draft picks? Buy low chance (in terms of picks) but definitely a risk with his contract.

Could still let battle go and draft two top 5-6 picks

Not going into bat for or against anyone here but mathematically it is not a million dollar extra if years are taken into account.

So over 5 years (the contract amount it is 50k a season) with an extra season added.

No quite as disastrous however the principle still holds true. We can't attract FA's and we can't get quality mids through the draft because of NGA's and FA's.

Can people understand why I wont renew my membership next year. It should be blindingly obvious the clown show at AFL has created a two tiered competition where only their favoured clubs are allowed to win.

The big clubs get block busters every year, they get NGA's when they are finalists and Grand Finalists, they get NGA's just because of their geographic location, they get Father Sons because in the past due to the inequities they had better players who had son who were better at football OR our champs who happened to have daughters.

Then there is the FIXture that perpetuates the inequities. Hope everyone is flocking to the 1.00 pm blockbuster v Port today. Should be a $$$ bonanza.

Some people get sick of gringo on here. Well you will be begging for his content compared to mine about the above treatment of the STKFC.

Yes mate I know. But Stengle has a trigger for y6 at the cattery. We offered it straight up. Thus my point of giving him 1m more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe like many he likes the more relaxed lifestyle and has made memories and mates at Geelong. We don’t really know the ins and outs of both deals but you usually have to pay a premium just to get a conversation started. Stengel staying is no great surprise nor some slight on us imo.

There was lots of talk about how he's unhappy and isolated in Geelong. If that's the case you imagine it's for footy reasons that he stays.

That's not correct.
I don't think Gallagher was ever a recruiter.
Ive got it all worked out on a spread sheet at work.

To Toce's credit, he was a part time recruiter for Collingwood, Saints gave him a full time role as a state recruiter, and he gradually worked his way up.
At least it wasn't just a job for a mate.
Correct on gags. I've posted on that before. He's appointment was very very strange. Literally not one of the current list managers has come from outside the industry.

There was lots of talk about how he's unhappy and isolated in Geelong. If that's the case you imagine it's for footy reasons that he stays.
Geelong just says, we get good FS, we get blockbuster games and a good draw, Saints are the Washington Generals, the AFL has set them up to be slot fillers for TV rights, why go to a team that will never be allowed to compete.
Really every team should say that to their players, it's not like it's not the truth.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Elite small forwards are hard to get. If you want to attract players you have to put up money and years now. Being small club and not very enticing we probably have to add some extra.

Josh Battle is probably worth what ever Jake Lever was worth on the open market. The potential pick 6 sounds like it's hard not to gamble on. Like putting up the odds to tempt people to throw their money away the system is weighted towards shit clubs losing talent for a gamble on the draft.

Agree but I think it's a 3 tier system.

Big power clubs plus the Northern clubs and Geelong
Then the interstate clubs
Then the small Victorian clubs.

Best you can get away with is 95% of the cap.

In reality any long term deal means there really is no war chest.

It's a media term thrown around to generate some clicks. It ain't going to help us one bit.
Option 1) You can bank the 5% and spend 105% the following year.

Option 2) you can keep a huge portion of your list one 1 year deals and deal with it each year to structure cap

Option 3) forward pay deals to meet 95-100% and thus minimise your salary for the next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back