List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Well this sucks for 2 reasons-

1. Pick purchasing via cashing in unused salary cap money wont come in for another 18 months; and
2. When it does come in- it wont be cashing unspent cap into the league for a newly created pick (like the FA compo picks)- it will be trading of cap space to other clubs for their picks.

That's a really dumb way of doing it- the top clubs are going to stay up for longer because they can just keep buying whatever cap space they need by giving up their speculative ~pick 16-18 every year.

1000009151.jpg

1000009153.jpg

1. Pick purchasing via cashing in unused salary cap money wont come in for another 18 months; and
2. When it does come in- it wont be cashing unspent cap into the league for a newly created pick (like the FA compo picks)- it will be trading of cap space to other clubs for their picks.

That's a really dumb way of doing it- the top clubs are going to stay up for longer because they can just keep buying whatever cap space they need by giving up their speculative ~pick 16-18 every year.

View attachment 2032281

View attachment 2032284
Wait so say… carlton could go a million over the cap by trading a 1 FRDP to the roos.

Carlton then take LDU as a FA.

Roos get two extra first rounders?

What could go wrong?

I reckon one would do. Steele isn't elite but he's very good when fit. Put LDU, Callaghan or any other good mid in the side and we are good enough. Even with Crouch and Steele fit I think we have enough to be competitive. Geelong won a flag with a barely functional midfield but a really good outside running squad to feed out to and a HB line that had a great distribution and run. Their set up looked like us now.

Richmond barely won a clearance in their 3 flags. It's lazy to suggest we can't go anywhere until we have three elite mids and just excusing Lyon's inability to compete with what we have now. We won't get that unless we have a miracle. Anyone that thinks we need to rebuild again would rather back a poor coaching set up than win.

I think if we draft a kid like Jagga, take a bridging player while he develops and make sure there is some depth for Sandy we are fine.

You seem to like arguing and not reading what I write. Don't see how I'm wasting anyone's time unless you think suck arses are the only thing worth reading on here. I strongly encourage you to put me on ignore because I'd rather not waste my time engaging with you. You come across as a dim wit.
Richmond had prime Brownlow medalist 4x A A and 3x Norm smith winning Dustin ****ing Martin.

If we find that I’m sure we will contend even with our Ferrari that has a fiat engine running it.

Plenty of unrest around the playing group by the sounds. Cleary again this morning. Multiple reports now. Interesting times.
Jay Clark is effectively your North Star and source of truth here.

So that should calm the fan base on Marshall.

We have 15+ OOC and the likes of Howard haven’t even begun contract talks. So it could easily be 2+2 = 100.

I will however point out. That there was no mention on Battle in Clark’s article. So that should very well remain a concern

I don't mind it sporadically, once or twice a quarter.

If we can get Marshall, Dow or Steele to feed it out to Nas, he would be a weapon delivering into our F50.

Rather Henry goes in. He’s not a great kick so more playing to strengths.

Stavro was the one saying we should start to get worried about Marshall…

There's still time for us to turn Battle into another Allison.
I said we should be worried on the basis of the number of different reporters running with it.

Not that I had any knowledge and for the last week I’ve said it’s most likely nothing.

I also believe Jay Clark above any Journo re saints news - because of his proximity with Ross

Wait so say… carlton could go a million over the cap by trading a 1 FRDP to the roos.

Carlton then take LDU as a FA.

Roos get two extra first rounders?

What could go wrong?

Yeah well they do say in the article that there would be limits on how much cap you could trade etc- but yeah- stupid nonsense like that could definately happen.

The AFL are supposedly trying to help struggling clubs rebuild faster by letting them trade unspent cap for extra picks.

Making struggling clubs give their flag contending rivals cap relief in order to get an extra crappy pick 25 or something is only going to make things worse than they are now.

I said we should be worried on the basis of the number of different reporters running with it.

Not that I had any knowledge and for the last week I’ve said it’s most likely nothing.

I also believe Jay Clark above any Journo re saints news - because of his proximity with Ross
No worries, TB just quoted you quashing the rumour and had a crack at people who may have been worried.

Yeah well they do say in the article that there would be limits on how much cap you could trade etc- but yeah- stupid nonsense like that could definately happen.

The AFL are supposedly trying to help struggling clubs rebuild faster by letting them trade unspent cap for extra picks.

Making struggling clubs give their flag contending rivals cap relief in order to get an extra crappy pick 25 or something is only going to make things worse than they are now.
Your omitting that the cap space would be for x amount of seasons.

If we traded out 500k for 3 years. I’d want significantly more than pick 25 for instance.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Richmond had prime Brownlow medalist 4x A A and 3x Norm smith winning Dustin ****ing Martin.

If we find that I’m sure we will contend even with our Ferrari that has a fiat engine running it.

So we should have no expectations until we find multiple stars? Essendon haven’t got an elite list and don’t look that different from us.

I’m giving up on this club if they don’t start moving forward. I don’t get any enjoyment from anything they do and they cost a lot of money for the honour. They set the bar so low that they can’t miss it and still miss it.

Elite or high quality mids have been and are always the minimum requirement for teams to become serious challengers. The zone rules have only heightened this, thats why teams with strong midfields have always flourished.

I dont think anyone can seriously debate otherwise, its just the players involvement of how we acheive it that is causing some to dig their heals in with contrary arguements. Being a little pig headed perhaps....

I dont want to lose Battle and have made it clear, but if the club believes thats the best way to expedite our midfield improvement then we have to embrace the decision.

Last edited:

View attachment 2032281

View attachment 2032284
Absolute pandering to the big Vic clubs and the AFL booster clubs.

Nothing is changing. No.2 on the table gets two top 10 picks and last years grand finalists gets a top ten pick.

Nobody can touch these players.

If this comes in like this. it will be my final STKFC membership. I would encourage all members to seriously look at their financial contribution to a club that is being openly mocked and derided by Kane and Dillon and the rest at AFL HQ.

They think we will just lemming like hand over our money while they allow the Norther clubs and big Vic clubs to have free quality picks.

They want us to be the Washington Generals and pay for the privilege

So we should have no expectations until we find multiple stars? Essendon haven’t got an elite list and don’t look that different from us.

I’m giving up on this club if they don’t start moving forward. I don’t get any enjoyment from anything they do and they cost a lot of money for the honour. They set the bar so low that they can’t miss it and still miss it.
If your expectations are that we are going to contend with the midfield we have. Then you are nuts.

We will sit anywhere between 6-15th depending on some luck and the type of season it is.

Absolute pandering to the big Vic clubs and the AFL booster clubs.

Nothing is changing. No.2 on the table gets two top 10 picks and last years grand finalists gets a top ten pick.

Nobody can touch these players.

If this comes in like this. it will be my final STKFC membership. I would encourage all members to seriously look at their financial contribution to a club that is being openly mocked and derided by Kane and Dillon and the rest at AFL HQ.

They think we will just lemming like hand over our money while they allow the Norther clubs and big Vic clubs to have free quality picks.

They want us to be the Washington Generals and pay for the privilege

I agree in part Joff but the changes arent going to hurt our NGA picks, apart from not having access to other clubs players.

The clubs push back was always going to occur if the changes were brought in this year. I dont think its pandering to clubs more than the AFL attempting to be as fair and democratic as possible.

I think its reasonable from a club list management planning perspective that the changes are not made until next year. In reality it wouldnt matter what year the changes were made there would always be disgruntled clubs, but giving them more time to plan around the change is sound.

As an example there will be clubs this year that miss out on academy players because of their rating eg Essendon Kako and WCE Champion. Plus lets not forget we benefited last year grabbing Collard before Freo as an academy player.

I agree the cap purchasing is good in theory but a disaster in reality. Let’s say theres say 2-4 clubs maxed out enough to want to buy cap space and then 6-8 clubs with the capacity to sell cap space, simple supply and demand will mean the value of selling said space won’t be high enough to make a material difference to struggling clubs so strong clubs who can attract free agents will stay up longer, while weaker clubs will fight over 2nd and 3rd round picks that won’t turn the dial in a rebuild.

I agree the cap purchasing is good in theory but a disaster in reality. Let’s say theres say 2-4 clubs maxed out enough to want to buy cap space and then 6-8 clubs with the capacity to sell cap space, simple supply and demand will mean the value of selling said space won’t be high enough to make a material difference to struggling clubs so strong clubs who can attract free agents will stay up longer, while weaker clubs will fight over 2nd and 3rd round picks that won’t turn the dial in a rebuild.

I tend to agree. There will be teams with draft picks and teams with purchased cap space. Some teams will end up perpetually rebuilding, and when players come good, purchased cap space will lure them to another club.

Draft picks don't win you premierships: performance does.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back