List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So if we are bottom 4 and he's culled the list hard and set to keep on the same path we won't move him on? That is insanely irresponsible. If we are left with a worse list and aren't playing finals we should make sure that no-one from the current board is allowed anywhere near the club again.

Bassat gave an honest an upfront appraisal and commentary of where we are and where we are going. It is childish to stamp your feet and demand that all from the board are to be sacked, simply because you need instant gratification.

Yes we have waited years, but where we are now and want to go, that is totally irrelevant. Now is about what we need to do, to move forward. With Tasmania coming we are loading up on youth, hooray. Plus finally having a president who demands change from the AFL to stop the father / son, academy, free agency rorting that is an huge advantage to the larger clubs.

I have waited decades for our second flag, having been to 1971, 1997, 2009 and 2010 defeats and now retired and travelling, but I am happy to wait a little longer and enjoy the trading, recruiting, development and then revel in our time in the sun again, before our second flag.

The whining and complaining from a number on here, that all is not as you want it, truly does become tiresome and unnecessary. You see what you are seeking. Look for problems and misery and they are there. Look for the positives, green shots of development and promise and they are there too. Go Saints.

He is more of an outside midfielder though like Hill and Henry, we need more inside midfielders like Lachie Neale, Dunkley or LDU.
far too simple of an assessment, we need mids who can run and receive, not get a backward handball, then just hoof it long in Hill's case. Henry, I have hope for, but is a long long way off McCluggage's level.
sorry, simply not a fan of Hill's output

If you want to improve our midfield, give me a McCluggae over 3 Hills.

yes we have an issue with contested possessions around stoppages, but we have an equally big issue with our mids being non-existent outside of that.

The only way we could have "made him" restricted would have been to pay him amongst the top 25% in our team.
They were probably trying to keep a lid on contracts then.

that would have been very easy to artificially manufacture (via backloading of his current contract)- to make it appear like he was in the top 25% in our team.
You can bet your bottom dollar every half decent list manager does this- that's why you never hear of the likes of battle ever skipping RFA status and jumping straight to UFA.

saints
zebras
st.kilda city
north ringwood
warburton millgrove
inverloch kongwak
norwood
subiaco
st.kilda cc
renegades
victoria
lancashire
man utd(heard the 1977 fa cup score over the radio while playing u10s footy for wesburn jr boys club)
celtic(the filth that is rangers fans ran onto the pitch )
inter milan(my mate went for ac)
sporting lisbon(celtic colors)
deportivo la coruna(the name)
feyenoord(red white black)
paris saint germain(the name)
celtics
bruins
patriots
red sox

as for having enough of the saints,if/when max king is traded for a future 2nd rounder or similar,might be the tipping point for me,the man looks entirely hopeless,when will they play to suit him?when will he extract the digit himself?

will be very happy to have everyone shove it in my face when he looks as vibrant and interested and invested as juh charlie or j.cameron,till then i will be terrified of the above scenario & the fact we and he both wasted our asses

Were you referring to Cooney the rocket scientist or Cooney the former footballer?

C0UABu5.jpeg

I really think that if you can get a top 6 pick for Battle, it's a very decent outcome for everyone.

But if he did depart, the expected change in the compensation model could boost the Saints' chances of getting a band one compensation pick.

Yeah - fair enough.

Ultimately he gave direction. He answered a shit load of the argument on here in the last month.

Almost as if Robbo read big footy summarised it and interviewed him.
Yep
Key point I take from that is the club want sustainable success
I look at Bonbers this year - that was us 12 months ago ….theyre as good a chance to drop to 9-11 with a tougher run next year ….its get you nowhere
Go the hard road but build for a genuine crack that’s longer than 1 year

I really think that if you can get a top 6 pick for Battle, it's a very decent outcome for everyone.

But if he did depart, the expected change in the compensation model could boost the Saints' chances of getting a band one compensation pick.
Ultimately if we want him to stay - you can give him a deal that will make him stay.

But if we get a band 1 pick. I suspect they will also be happy with that outcome as you mention.

The part of the formula we can’t work out - is Stengle.

But you would still back Geelong to retain I suppose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Imagine reading that interview and thinking Matt finnis and Simon Lethlean were capable CEOs.

His statement that he become "hands on" because the board were rubber stamping decisions because they didn't have all the information to make decisions is damning.

The whole corporate structure has been ****ed for a long time and the performance at a executive level very poor.

The chairman of the company has had to step in and do the CEOs role. Pathetic really.

Hopefully this improves. If not we are cooked.
I think the rubber stamp comment reflects his biggest learning- he’s being honest
He strikes me as though he previously backed in his footy dept….git sold a turd “almost in the window…” and then realised he had to get closer cause he/Board were being fed Shiit
Indictment? Probably
I’ll take the honesty as long as the learning and actions to go with it make sense
Right now I see a Board/Pres/Coach on same page that’ll do me

💯 if we can get band one for battle, Il pack his bags for him

Ultimately if we want him to stay - you can give him a deal that will make him stay.

But if we get a band 1 pick. I suspect they will also be happy with that outcome as you mention.

Sounds like our offer to Stengel would trigger end of first or second. We could make a deal to trade for him by splitting the battle compo. That way we get Stengel and get a first for battle. Smarter mind than mine will be at work on this but if battle leaves the priority would be to hold onto that draft pick

Bassat gave an honest an upfront appraisal and commentary of where we are and where we are going. It is childish to stamp your feet and demand that all from the board are to be sacked, simply because you need instant gratification.

Yes we have waited years, but where we are now and want to go, that is totally irrelevant. Now is about what we need to do, to move forward. With Tasmania coming we are loading up on youth, hooray. Plus finally having a president who demands change from the AFL to stop the father / son, academy, free agency rorting that is an huge advantage to the larger clubs.

I have waited decades for our second flag, having been to 1971, 1997, 2009 and 2010 defeats and now retired and travelling, but I am happy to wait a little longer and enjoy the trading, recruiting, development and then revel in our time in the sun again, before our second flag.

The whining and complaining from a number on here, that all is not as you want it, truly does become tiresome and unnecessary. You see what you are seeking. Look for problems and misery and they are there. Look for the positives, green shots of development and promise and they are there too. Go Saints.
A great post there Sunshine Sainter.

We live in an "instant gratification" society.

And as you say above......we naturally want it with our footy side....that incredibly elusive 2nd big shiny cup.

I like you have been waiting about 100 years....lol.

I ain't getting any younger !!!!!!!

The one thing that "Fred" has been consistent about is that there will be no short cuts this time.

Loved his interview with the "Lord of the Scotch"

Great that we now have a Prez who is speaking out....loudly....about the inequalities of the AFL "free enterprise system"

Prez admits that he wasn't hands on enough pre Ratts getting the DCM.....he simply trusted his Lieutenants getting the correct info to him....ummmm !!!!

We simply have to "get it right" this time with Tassie on the Horizon.....I can almost taste the delicious draft concessions etc that they will receive.......ala GWS and GC when they entered the comp(we picked an awesome time to bottom out back in 2013/2014....NOT !!!! )

If we do get Band 1 compo for Battle, then there's not too much to complain about from our end.

You'd assume we will offer him roughly what the Hawks do, which would still be above market value for a very good but not absolute elite player. So if he does choose to leave, we've done what we can without paying overs. He is, after all, a UFA not an RFA so our hands are tied somewhat.

Him leaving will definitely negatively effect our team in the short term, but we do have cover for him that may not be as good now, but has the potential to be in the future with Schoenmakers and Caminiti. On top of that, we can address an area of need and draft a high end mid. You do have to give something to get something, and while Battle will be obviously missed, we need to do something about our midfield lest we tread water for eternity.

I think all this angst is only really justified if we get less than Band 1, or if we use the compo pick poorly

Stengle is a rare fish for us in that:
1/ He reportedly is not happy with the lifestyle at Geelong (Whereas Cameron and others it has been a big factor in attracting players) and would prefer to be back in Melbourne
2/ That our efforts with making our club a very good environment for indigenous players may give us a rare edge with securing him. An edge we simply do not normally have with most FAs we chase
3/ That evidently he does not have many suitors. Maybe even it is just us v Geelong now.
4/ We can probably also off him more money than the Cats.

Thing is though it is not just Battle v Pick 6 in the value equation.

It is:

Pick 6 - Battle = Could be better or worse off. Though we may improve our inside midfield

Or potentially say

Stengle + Battle - one list spot for another player = Would be much more likely to better off. Though we have not improved our inside midfield

By the time a drafted inside mid comes on the old guys will all be ready to retire anyway. We need to keep drafting but finding some midfielders for now.

Keeping Battle and getting Stengle covers the hole in the mid age bracket that will be a cliff coming.

By the time a drafted inside mid comes on the old guys will all be ready to retire anyway. We need to keep drafting but finding some midfielders for now.

Keeping Battle and getting Stengle covers the hole in the mid age bracket that will be a cliff coming.
never know, might get a player who comes on like a daicos, ashcroft, reid. either way, my guess is they will.play them early regardless

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we do get Band 1 compo for Battle, then there's not too much to complain about from our end.

You'd assume we will offer him roughly what the Hawks do, which would still be above market value for a very good but not absolute elite player. So if he does choose to leave, we've done what we can without paying overs. He is, after all, a UFA not an RFA so our hands are tied somewhat.

Him leaving will definitely negatively effect our team in the short term, but we do have cover for him that may not be as good now, but has the potential to be in the future with Schoenmakers and Caminiti. On top of that, we can address an area of need and draft a high end mid. You do have to give something to get something, and while Battle will be obviously missed, we need to do something about our midfield lest we tread water for eternity.

I think all this angst is only really justified if we get less than Band 1, or if we use the compo pick poorly

He's an interceptor defender. He's in the same sort of position as Jake Lever, Darcy Moore, Tom Stewart, James Sicily etc.His numbers stack up with most of therm. He's the type of player that you set and forget so tend to ignore his impact. We'll miss him when he's gone.

Ari might be able step in but you imagine throwing him unlubed will make his development slower with no protection.

never know, might get a player who comes on like a daicos, ashcroft, reid. either way, my guess is they will.play them early regardless

Even those guys get off the chain because they can run around unaccountable surrounded by hard bodied mids taking the heat. Players develop slower in sides with less quality.

He's an interceptor defender. He's in the same sort of position as Jake Lever, Darcy Moore, Tom Stewart, James Sicily etc.His numbers stack up with most of therm. He's the type of player that you set and forget so tend to ignore his impact. We'll miss him when he's gone.

Ari might be able step in but you imagine throwing him unlubed will make his development slower with no protection.

Ari wouldnt be any worse than when Battle first went into defence. short term pain for long term gain.

Ari also seems to have a far superior defensive skill set compared to battle at the same age as well, let alone his boot.

Well if last year's trade/draft is a guide this year will be a similar mix of kids through the main draft, and some out of favour/lack of opportunity players from other clubs.

Battle and Stengle both add spice to what may happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back