List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Prior to today I was slowly warming to the idea of losing Battle, but today showed his true worth and how ridiculous it would be for us to lose him. He is 25yo about to have his best years as a key defender and it seems the club are almost happy to see him walk for a compensation pick. Battle tries his heart out each and every week and is hard as nails, you dont lose players like that. Obviously we need elite midfielders but to lose Battle for a speculative early pick would be list suicide IMO.

For gods sake St Kilda you will have no one supporting the club and lose members by the thousands next year if you continue to lose your own talent. If anything needs changing next year its the coaching mix, Harvey has had his chances with our forward group and they have gone backwards at a rate of knots.

If the club want to make big list changes then put Max King up for trade and see what washes out. The club or football dont mean enough to Max and he is gone backwards under Lyon/Harvey its time for the club to grow some balls.

If Adelaide beat us in round 18 (at Adelaide Oval) then we are odds-on to finish 15th and have pick 4.

Saints run home:
Swans (H)
Adelaide (A)
Eagles (H)
Essendon (H)
Brisbane (H)
Richmond (A) - but at Docklands
Geelong (H)
Carlton (H)

Crows run home:
Brisbane (A)
Saints (H)
Essendon (A)
Hawthorn (H)
Geelong (A)
Bulldogs (H)
Port Adelaide (A)
Sydney (A)

I think Saints will only win 2 more games (Eagles and Tigers). An outside chance against Essendon.

If they beat us then Crows would only need to win one more game to jump us, and they are 50-50 at home against Hawthorn, Bulldogs and Port. Plus they are a chance against Essendon.

Prior to today I was slowly warming to the idea of losing Battle, but today showed his true worth and how ridiculous it would be for us to lose him. He is 25yo about to have his best years as a key defender and it seems the club are almost happy to see him walk for a compensation pick. Battle tries his heart out each and every week and is hard as nails, you dont lose players like that. Obviously we need elite midfielders but to lose Battle for a speculative early pick would be list suicide IMO.

For gods sake St Kilda you will have no one supporting the club and lose members by the thousands next year if you continue to lose your own talent. If anything needs changing next year its the coaching mix, Harvey has had his chances with our forward group and they have gone backwards at a rate of knots.

If the club want to make big list changes then put Max King up for trade and see what washes out. The club or football dont mean enough to Max and he is gone backwards under Lyon/Harvey its time for the club to grow some balls.

We just have so few in that mid 20s age bracket too. Once the old crew go there won't be anyone to take over. King, Battle, Higgins are the best of them then Bonner, Dow, Clark, Stocker, Sharman, Byrnes and Paton who are all speculative at best.

For every player you lose and to then move forward you need 2 upgrades. Realistically picking off players under developed, unused or under-utilised on the cheap is how to bridge fast while still using high picks at the draft.

absolutely confirms that the current AFL equalisation benefits are not working and the stronger clubs will continue to get stronger and the game suffers by having the best players continually going to the strongest clubs. A spiral of disaster leading to a uncompetitive game. Need to redo the draft so that the top 8 teams only enter the draft in round 3, so that we accelerate the revitlisation of the weakest teams.
No, no. Geelong are getting Adelaide Stengle and for just $50K less than what we were offering a year. What a laughing stock they are.

It's his choice not St.Kildas.
We have made an offer
Hopefully he is loyal to us just like the players we have offered big bucks to in recent times.

It's his choice not St.Kildas.
We have made an offer
Hopefully he is loyal to us just like the players we have offered big bucks to in recent times.

We can easily up our offer or ask what would make him sign on. We are too cowardly to admit that we want the compensation so blaming Josh.

The high end of this draft isn't much different to the early part of the second round. I really don't love the top end of this one. Get Jagga and get out. That Adelaide pick just as likely to be a gun as another FRDP IMO.
There's sense in that. We'd still get 3x FRDP's and can trade the later stuff for better players.

I hate the idea of losing Battle but then again, getting pick 5 for him would be highway robbery.

If we did lose Battle, we would need to seriously discuss where the list is at. Marshall, Sinclair and Steele are all 30 next year and Willkie is 29. Attracting free agents is a pipedream, and the current team clearly lacks top-end talent.

We may have no choice but to cut really hard and bottom out further while we can still access "uncompromised" drafts before Tasmania comes in.

Think I’ll turn it in if we trade King. Can’t believe anyone would be wanting to throw him out.. for what ?

It is so bloody hard to find players that can do what he can do. Two seasons ago he won 5 games by himself with clutch last quarters.

He has had some repeat injuries which have halted his natural body development and has the very worst style of football in front of him to deal with. From his perspective, he should just about request a trade and go play for a club who can actually perceive where he is and kick it generally in his direction. It’s a an absolute disgrace our delivery to him.

I can’t deny that he has lost a bit of forward craft, is struggling with strength one on one and his body language is disturbing but we are at risk of wasting this generational talent if we can’t build a competent midfield and decent no 2 support key forward.

I’m absolutely filthy at anyone who tells me it’s Maxs fault and consider each and every person moronic who does so. I’m mostly filthy at the club for butchering so many opportunities to build a midfield. It’s hard to replace Battle no doubt but it is impossible to replace King.

I think with Stengle opting to stay, we let Battle go and take the high pick. It’s probably our last chance to build a decent young group this year and next because in 5 years when we hope this years draft picks are 23 and killing it, King is 28..
Not trying to attack you, but what is it about King specifically that makes him impossible to replace? He was good in 2022, but he has been terrible this year after the Collingwood game. I might be an idiot, and I hope I am wrong, but I don't see a generational talent. I know we don't have a good midfield, but his unreliable goalkicking and his lack of leading/ constantly being behind his defender is entirely on him.

We can easily up our offer or ask what would make him sign on. We are too cowardly to admit that we want the compensation so blaming Josh.
We can up the offer, it still doesn't mean he takes it. He may be offended by the size of the Stengle offer. He may just want to join Hawthorn. It's never black and white, Gringo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

hill benny GIF
Higgins goal kicking!
Steele can’t kick 50.
Buttler can’t kick 40.
King can kick 60+ but can’t get the pill.

Believe it or not Gringo, there’s a limit at some point. Perhaps the club have reached “the limit”. Otherwise, what’s the point of having a cap, and may as well go back to paying Acres, Newnes, Gresh, Clark, Billings etc 600-800k

Indeed we can, BUT doing that is what f***** us up years ago when we paid too few too much. Our list has never gotten back to the heights it was.

Paying players that never got to Battle level was the problem. We need to build a list not be a developer of talent for other clubs. Losing one of your most competitive players for a pick in an ordinary draft sounds like how you over think what the purpose of list building is and get distracted by a gamble,

Not trying to attack you, but what is it about King specifically that makes him impossible to replace? He was good in 2022, but he has been terrible this year after the Collingwood game. I might be an idiot, and I hope I am wrong, but I don't see a generational talent. I know we don't have a good midfield, but his unreliable goalkicking and his lack of leading/ constantly being behind his defender is entirely on him.
I couldn’t disagree anymore
You don’t trade players like king
It makes no sense

Firstly, if we are unable to convert a player with as much promise as King into a star, that’s close the doors level incompetency from all club departments. To give up on him as a supporter base is disgraceful given our club maxim ‘strength through loyalty’ but emblematic of our weak club.

Carlton kept the faith with Curnow and his body finally clicked together at 25yo with 60 games in 7 seasons with 80 goals. King currently at 23yo with 5 seasons all of which have been injury interrupted, 6 counting his pre draft year acl, is at 72 games for 159 goals.

It boggles the mind to be required to spell out how unique a footballer and talent he is but he is 202cm, runs like the wind, is strong and dynamic at ground level, can kick the ball nearly 70m, mark at the highest point, has shown he can stand up in big moments and kick 4 goals in a quarter to ice a game even while we have no one to kick it to him and no opportunities directly from centre clearance, he has kicked 159 goals already.

Imagine if; we had a midfielder or two who could come out the front of stoppage to provide some clean 1v1s or to at least allow a leading lane. What if we had some other marking options inside 50 to reduce opposition focus. Just imagine if we had guys who could kick to advantage he might’ve kicked 220 to this point.

It’s hardly worth mentioning because of how obvious it is that we have no one else capable of kicking even 30 goals as a key forward. You need at least a top 10 pick in a strong draft and all the luck in the world to find a forward capable of 50+ goals each year.

We can all see how much he is struggling but we must keep the faith with him, he is 23yo and at his lowest ebb in terms of form. To trade him now would be the most short sighted, self destructive thing we’ve ever done. Total madness and lunacy.

JoyDivision how long do you give potential. Its obvious Max is psychologically flawed as he has actually gone backwards on where he was 3 years ago. He has never looked like he even enjoys playing the game let alone shown some passion out on the field. The guy is a 6'10" version of Billings.

If it hasnt worked for him and the club by now its not going to.

Its time to bite the bullet and trade him while he stll has a significant trade value. He might come good but its not going to be at St Kilda he is damaged goods. Time for Max and the club to part ways IMO.

Our 25 and unders are actually pretty good.

Arie and Caminiti both look good down back.

Take a first round compo for Battle and run.

If we can draft 2 genuinely good mids then we're right back in the game.

Mids are literally the HARDEST thing to get if you don't draft them yourself.

If we go into this draft with two top 5's and don't draft two pure mids I'll just about pack it in.

JoyDivision how long do you give potential. Its obvious Max is psychologically flawed as he has actually gone backwards on where he was 3 years ago. He has never looked like he even enjoys playing the game let alone shown some passion out on the field. The guy is a 6'10" version of Billings.

If it hasnt worked for him and the club by now its not going to.

Its time to bite the bullet and trade him while he stll has a significant trade value. He might come good but its not going to be at St Kilda he is damaged goods. Time for Max and the club to part ways IMO.
I'm no fan but we'd be mad to trade him. He's still young and he actually wants to play at StKilda so its a matter of finding a way to keep him out of his shell.
I don't understand why the coaches aren't making changes to how he plays but now even the media are catching on to what we've been saying for a while.
Billings was moved to the wing when he had his major issues and tbh l reckon that's what killed him. Whatever King's problems are, he needs to work through it and he might need to be broken down first.

Wouldn’t be surprised if one of Marshal Sinclair or Steele are requesting trades end of year, when a new boss/regime that demand better standards come in and it ruffles feathers, players don’t like it that been there getting easy street cash 💰 for years. Just got the feeling will be some huge changes end of year and personally I feel we need it, no point being middle of the road team if that mean bottom 4 for next 3 years so be it. Think we have the right people in the right jobs to build this team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back