List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Yet losing a 25 year old free agent for one of the best junior talents in the country is something that many other clubs see as good list management.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys always prefer being down the ladder and winning trade period. I want to win matches. I haven't got 5 years of interest left in this blackhole club. At some point they have to move forward. Sunk cost isn't working as well as it used to. I don't think I even like footy anymore.

You guys always prefer being down the ladder and winning trade period. I want to win matches. I haven't got 5 years of interest left in this blackhole club. At some point they have to move forward. Sunk cost isn't working as well as it used to. I don't think I even like footy anymore.
Essendon have won trade period for 20 years, we can't even do that. I think we have had some decent drafts since 2020, doubt we have 'won' one of them. I dont think you can really 'win' draft period without a top 10 dp and we haven't had one since 2018.

As far as not liking footy anymore. Footy itself is still good. The AFL compromised, corporatized, profit before integrity, inconsistently and poorly umpired product is one I have almost completely fallen out with.
Only so long you can keep the faith, my time is just about up.

Essendon have won trade period for 20 years, we can't even do that. I think we have had some decent drafts since 2020, doubt we have 'won' one of them. I dont think you can really 'win' draft period without a top 10 dp and we haven't had one since 2018.

As far as not liking footy anymore. Footy itself is still good. The AFL compromised, corporatized, profit before integrity, inconsistently and poorly umpired product is one I have almost completely fallen out with.
Only so long you can keep the faith, my time is just about up.

I'm a bit over footy. I used too like watching other sides play. It makes me angry now. Umpiring ruins most match outcomes seems and there is no real personality or excitement in the game. Saw some footage of an old Freo v Saints game with G Train raging today. That era was so good. The game was absolutely peaking with great personalities in announcing, players had character and the game had raw energy and felt like it was rising. It all feels a bit flat and tired now.

Steele’s name has come up as a potential trade out. Or him wanting out. Not advocating it, but if it came to pass I wonder what would happen.

Where would he go, and what would we get? End of R1 from a contending team? Many don’t think this draft is good at the top end. But it apparently stretches out in to the second round with similar levels of talent.

Would that be good long term? Certainly not short term.

Steele’s name has come up as a potential trade out. Or him wanting out. Not advocating it, but if it came to pass I wonder what would happen.

Where would he go, and what would we get? End of R1 from a contending team? Many don’t think this draft is good at the top end. But it apparently stretches out in to the second round with similar levels of talent.

Would that be good long term? Certainly not short term.

The media probably suggested it.
if it happened the same media would rejoice in saying how horrible we were for trading out our captain.

I just don't think this is a very strong front end of this draft. Really prefer to get our natural pick and get out. Losing Battle is probably a 25% to 50% chance of replacing him with player of equal quality about 10% of an upgrade. To me the best options would be Jagga Smith and Trainor. Players like Langford and Reid look good but they are all mid to late firsts. There are a lot of mids but none are amazing. Smith probably likely to go high now unless Murphy Reid does jump up hard.
So your approach for a team that lacks serious midfield talent as well as midfield depth is to pick 1 young mid and be done with it? How is that going to help our midfield?

I just don't think this is a very strong front end of this draft. Really prefer to get our natural pick and get out. Losing Battle is probably a 25% to 50% chance of replacing him with player of equal quality about 10% of an upgrade. To me the best options would be Jagga Smith and Trainor. Players like Langford and Reid look good but they are all mid to late firsts. There are a lot of mids but none are amazing. Smith probably likely to go high now unless Murphy Reid does jump up hard.
No one knows how the young players are going to turn out.. did the bulldogs know Bont is going to be the GOAT? or Dunkley is going to be better than good? no, they just drafted enough mids and hope at least 1 or 2 are going to be good.. there’s is no certainty in life.. just look at how Billings turned out.

It depends on the junior talent.

All the strategy that Pelican put in place was fine...except they ignored the actual process of identifying talent.
They assumed if you took Pick X you would get player Y.
And a coach that can mould the team and develop talent. Think Mccartin, Billings, Clark and Coffield will be much better players if they played for Geelong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hoping to catch the AFL half asleep, Andrew Bassat and Ross Lyon arrived at League headquarters early to make their presentation seeking fair compensation if Josh Battle were to leave.

KUeZUwc.jpeg
Now THIS is gold!

So your approach for a team that lacks serious midfield talent as well as midfield depth is to pick 1 young mid and be done with it? How is that going to help our midfield?

One in the first round. We have multiple picks in multiple drafts. I’ve suggested taking players like Luke Parker for short term top ups. We can pick lots of mids but the chances are that we are not going to draft our way out. The old guys will retire in a few years and we’ll be in a much harder position.

You can’t go too young
Things fall apart very quickly

I agree but get mature mids because we are desperate. Try the players we do have down back.

No one knows how the young players are going to turn out.. did the bulldogs know Bont is going to be the GOAT? or Dunkley is going to be better than good? no, they just drafted enough mids and hope at least 1 or 2 are going to be good.. there’s is no certainty in life.. just look at how Billings turned out.

Are you happy to rebuild for another decade?

I saw Josh battle today. Seemed very engaged at the family clinic. He signed my daughter’s poster and I said to him ‘that’s the signature we need on a contract.’ He tried hard to ignore the comment but after 2-3 seconds turned and smiled/chuckled…..read into what you will. The body language was very positive though.

Hope he stays. Was great with the kids at the junior clinic today and looks ready for another 6 big seasons of footy.

I agree but get mature mids because we are desperate. Try the players we do have down back.
If they young guys get injured or poorly out of form we need a backup
Hayes would cost nothing.
Not sure about Tomlinson.

Outside of that if battle goes our depth is very thin

Van Es
Cordy
Keeler
Shoenmaker
Howard
Mclennan
Wilkie

Hayens def sures that up for 1-2 years. Stay strong defensively and play the kids in the middle. Owens more than capable as a big body.
Means if the bottom falls out it doesn’t get too messy

I saw Josh battle today. Seemed very engaged at the family clinic. He signed my daughter’s poster and I said to him ‘that’s the signature we need on a contract.’ He tried hard to ignore the comment but after 2-3 seconds turned and smiled/chuckled…..read into what you will. The body language was very positive though.

Hope he stays. Was great with the kids at the junior clinic today and looks ready for another 6 big seasons of footy.
Just to clarify, this is the Saints clinic he was at, wasn’t it?

He tried hard to ignore the comment but after 2-3 seconds turned and smiled/chuckled…..read into what you will. The body language was very positive though.
No wink??

Tell me he winked??

If not .... and it was just a smile and a nervous chuckle ....goneski I reckon

Come on down Pick 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Back