2024 Draft Thread.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hi Guys, I don't think I've had the pleasure of posting on the Saints board before. I make draftee videos where I capture every interaction a player has with the play in a given game so you can decide yourself what their strengths and weaknesses are as a prospect. Looks as though you're at least going to get a mid top 10 pick, and possible an extra with a compo pick for Battle. Let me know if there are any prospects in particular you'd like me to post in here as I've got all the top end kids covered.

Here are a few to start with:

I can't believe that Gringo told me all you guys were arseholes.

Do people think Jonty Faull could slide to our 2nd rounder and do we like the thought of taking him? I know we should be all in on mids, but with Membrey due to depart, Allison and Hayes likely delisted and Hammer potentially going to defence, our tall stocks suddenly look extremely slim and I think we need to invest in a developing tall to potentially partner Max. Faull looks like he could be a gun key forward and due to injury early this year, might slide down to our pick, especially if the Whitlock twins and Jobe Shanahan keep up their form and get picked before Faull. I've seen some phantoms with him around 20-35

I like Faul reckon he looks good but probably not a great need.

I like the look of Lalor because he's got the prototype powerful build we're after.

He could be Petracca or Dusty but there's every chance we turn him into Caydn Beetham.

Wrap Lenny Hoffman in cotton wool now and don't let him get any higher.

A lot of big players don't turn out to be all that good.
Body size is good but footy ability has to come first.
Jagga looks like something special in the clips above. He probably won't be the Joel Selwood type win the ball out of the middle player, but he looks like he'll be something. Best available?

I think Lalor could challenge for pick 1 if he finds consistent form in the back half of the season. He's been injured, missed out on preseason and the first two months of games. Had probably the best individual performance of the season in his first game back in the Talent League, then followed it up with a bit of a stinker on the weekend at the Champs. Its tough for the guys (there are several of them this year) that have missed a lot of game time to build back up and still have everyone judging them.

If he does manage to put together that strong run of form, Lalor is a big and brutal physical midfielder that wins the footy inside, has a burst of speed to get separation, nice foot skills to hit targets, and has a touch of brilliance/x-factor. Kicked 7 goals recently in a school footy game so he has that side of things covered as well.

When I watch Lalor I don't see the good ball use. In that Talent League Domiant performance video hardly any of his touches result in a teammate getting the ball cleanly. I want to like him because his second and third efforts look good but the ball use is awful. Murphy Reid is the opposite, somehow a bulk of his touches always end up hitting up teammate.

How slow is Reid meant to be? Is that his knock? He doesn't look obviously slow.

I feel like a tall forward is a need with Membrey, Allison, Hayes all gone at season's end

Sharman, Keeler, Camininti look like enough to choose from to me. Faul looks like Jack Darling type of slightly undersized marking forward. I reckon we need small forwards more. If Collard heads home we only have a battered Butler left. Snags is more a mid sized forward than a small.

Sharman, Keeler, Camininti look like enough to choose from to me. Faul looks like Jack Darling type of slightly undersized marking forward. I reckon we need small forwards more. If Collard heads home we only have a battered Butler left. Snags is more a mid sized forward than a small.
Hmm maybe we just address key forward depth with the mandatory Zebs rook in Will Vesely - he looks like he has some attributes to work with

Hmm maybe we just address key forward depth with the mandatory Zebs rook in Will Vesely - he looks like he has some attributes to work with

If we want an undersized KPF that Max Guzewski kid from GWS is a good goal kicker. Package deal for him and Peatling maybe.

When I watch Lalor I don't see the good ball use. In that Talent League Domiant performance video hardly any of his touches result in a teammate getting the ball cleanly. I want to like him because his second and third efforts look good but the ball use is awful.
Cmon Gringo watch again ... he hit up plenty of teammates ... a couple with 50m passes ... some shorter kicks .... and several long kicks that hit teammates in a 1 on 1 contest which the teamate dropped or was spoilt and a few also just fell short of a leading teammate ... a better player may have got to them

Also he had some good vision out of contested situations ... one was a lovely perfectly weighted 15m handball on his left which allowed his TM to have shot which they missed.

Of course being an inside contested ball winner some handballs or kicks out of a heavily pressured contest may not every time hit the mark .... but there weren't that many

Out of the disposals I counted -

11 kicks hit the target (1 of those was a pt) .... 5 kicks hit his intended target but his TM either dropped the mark or was spoilt and once his TM was outmarked..... 3 kicks (all long) just bounced short or just went over the head of a teammate ... 2 missed totally

9 handballs hit a TM target and were to advantage .... 4 didn't (heavily under pressure - being tackled or in a crowded space)

Kid can play!!

When I watch Lalor I don't see the good ball use. In that Talent League Domiant performance video hardly any of his touches result in a teammate getting the ball cleanly. I want to like him because his second and third efforts look good but the ball use is awful. Murphy Reid is the opposite, somehow a bulk of his touches always end up hitting up teammate.

How slow is Reid meant to be? Is that his knock? He doesn't look obviously slow.
There are a couple of posters floating around that have access to the pre-season Talent League testing, which would give us Reid's 20m sprint times and his agility test. I suspect he's quick enough, but people are misinterpreting the fact that he plays under control as being slow.

Lalor started mid, then went forward as wasn’t really impacting the contest. It wasn’t wet when I was there and left at 3QRT. It will be interesting to see how the rest of the championship plays out.
I'd like to see him show he can dominate at that level, but its a tough ask for him and Finn O'Sullivan to come in after missing so much footy. They'll both be struggling for match fitness and lacking the tank that the others got to build up through a full pre-season. Even Sid Draper's been struggling with that. I had one of his relatives leave a message on one of my videos where I was critical of his defensive efforts, and he mentioned that Sid was severely disadvantaged due to missing so much footy.

Unfortunately its been a common theme with a number of the top end talent this year, which makes figuring out their spot in the pecking order even tougher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This guy has Jagga gone before our first pick

Assuming we get band 1, hopefully we can secure Draper and Lalor - maybe even split the pick 5 to get Lalor later (depending on interest of other clubs come draft time) and another pick in the late first round to capitalise on this even draft

A lot of big players don't turn out to be all that good.
Body size is good but footy ability has to come first.
Jagga looks like something special in the clips above. He probably won't be the Joel Selwood type win the ball out of the middle player, but he looks like he'll be something. Best available?

I’ve been trying to place who Jagga reminds me of & last night it hit me.

He’s a Steele Sidebottom clone.

The body shape, the footy IQ, constant movement & ability to hit up team mates in better positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cmon Gringo watch again ... he hit up plenty of teammates ... a couple with 50m passes ... some shorter kicks .... and several long kicks that hit teammates in a 1 on 1 contest which the teamate dropped or was spoilt and a few also just fell short of a leading teammate ... a better player may have got to them

Also he had some good vision out of contested situations ... one was a lovely perfectly weighted 15m handball on his left which allowed his TM to have shot which they missed.

Of course being an inside contested ball winner some handballs or kicks out of a heavily pressured contest may not every time hit the mark .... but there weren't that many

Out of the disposals I counted -

11 kicks hit the target (1 of those was a pt) .... 5 kicks hit his intended target but his TM either dropped the mark or was spoilt and once his TM was outmarked..... 3 kicks (all long) just bounced short or just went over the head of a teammate ... 2 missed totally

9 handballs hit a TM target and were to advantage .... 4 didn't (heavily under pressure - being tackled or in a crowded space)

Kid can play!!

Just watched again. A few teammates pulled in his kicks but he kicks to contests. I like his attack on the ball but he's not a great user from that. For a high pick I want much better ball use and vision. He doesn't look classy.

I’ve been trying to place who Jagga reminds me of & last night it hit me.

He’s a Steele Sidebottom clone.

The body shape, the footy IQ, constant movement & ability to hit up team mates in better positions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jagga is a gun and so is Murphy Reid. There isn’t a dominate break away mid at the top of the draft but both these players both remind me of sheezel. We are going to nail at least one gun mid. This isn’t a one draft kind of rebuild though 😬 so hopefully next year there is that type
Of player

Assuming we get band 1, hopefully we can secure Draper and Lalor - maybe even split the pick 5 to get Lalor later (depending on interest of other clubs come draft time) and another pick in the late first round to capitalise on this even draft

Yuck. I'd go Trainor to replace Battle and Howard. There is much I like besides Jagga in the front end of the draft. I'd rather trade out for Reid and Berry with Battle compo to be honest. Try to get someone like Langford with a later pick to boost the mids.

Don't rate Lalor's ball use and Draper looks like he's a bit vanilla but has a bit more class. He's probably organic French vanilla but not exciting.

To me O'Sullivan, Smith and Trainor look the best of the top 6 picks.

Jagga is a gun and so is Murphy Reid. There isn’t a dominate break away mid at the top of the draft but both these players both remind me of sheezel. We are going to nail at least one gun mid. This isn’t a one draft kind of rebuild though 😬 so hopefully next year there is that type
Of player

I reckon Reid and Sheezel definitely have similarities. Jagga is hard to work out who he's like. Maybe bits of Rozee, bits of some indigenous players of the past even. His weird lateral movement in traffic is very basketball but he's twitchy unlike Pendles and others from a basketball background. He moves like a speed junky through a busy crowd after stealing a wallet.

Yuck. I'd go Trainor to replace Battle and Howard. There is much I like besides Jagga in the front end of the draft. I'd rather trade out for Reid and Berry with Battle compo to be honest. Try to get someone like Langford with a later pick to boost the mids.

Don't rate Lalor's ball use and Draper looks like he's a bit vanilla but has a bit more class. He's probably organic French vanilla but not exciting.

To me O'Sullivan, Smith and Trainor look the best of the top 6 picks.
If we get band one for battle
I’m 💯 comfortable with trainor at one of those picks. No point taking two mids if they arnt the best at our picks. Last time we took needs over talent we ended up with………. You know the rest!

If we get band one for battle
I’m 💯 comfortable with trainor at one of those picks. No point taking two mids if they arnt the best at our picks. Last time we took needs over talent we ended up with………. You know the rest!

Seems to defeat the purpose somewhat but I can see the logic in it. I think he's a good prospect and looks better than most of the mids outside of Jagga.

If Jagga is gone I'd draft Trainor and try to trade out of the front end of the draft. Get some late first early second rounders. Murphy Reid types with those picks.

if he is on the money it would be hard to pass up trainor,if 2 picks in first 6 surely he is a lock for one of them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back