News 2024 St.Kilda Media Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

This year of shit football is going cost us in the long run.

We can kiss goodbye prime time footy goodbye. That makes it harder to attract money into the club.

We are in a crowded market to attract players. What is our point of difference as a club?

We don't have marquee games attracting large crowds.
We aren't a competitive top 8-10 side.
We don't get the prime time fixtures.
We don't play in finals.

"Come join a bottom 4 side and play 4.40 Sunday twilight in front of an empty stadium" isn't attractive.

This year is classic St Kilda shooting itself in the foot.
Yeah, look. Even when playing better footy we bombed every marquee game opportunity so that's neither here not there.
We haven't attracted a top end player since Sammy and Gtrain, so that's nither here nor there also.
If we're not a competitive top 8-10 side, well of course we wont play finals.
We never get prime fixtures anywar because the league favour a select few clubs that doesn't include us.

Don't go down that rabbit hole. There's nothing good down there.

We average 2.6 less i50s per game than Carlton and 1.3 less than Collingwood and 0.6 less than Freo .... all currently in the top 6 of the ladder .... all with significantly better midfields than ours

Where is this evidence of a superflood?

Clearly you never lived through the 80s
This is just evidence of people swallowing the media propaganda about us being boring and defensive. Gerard Wheatley says we are unwatchable on 360, all oppo supporters say we're terrible so it must be true. A few Saints supporters are saying we were better under Ratten, a laughable claim.

The most brainless thing I've heard some supporters repeat is this stupid claim from Caroline Wilson and Daniel Cherny that we should "get our house into order" before we start chirping up about inequality, like somehow our club complains more than others. Other coaches whinge about umpires forever - something Ross never does, I don't hear the same accusation then. I wonder why?

We ARE getting our house in order, but apparently according to a lot of posters here St Kilda should be playing beautiful football just like the Hawks (who until about 8 games ago were losing by cricket scores most weeks) and "all my Saints mates have stopped going to the footy so that must mean we're heading down shit creek"... no mate, shit creek was where the good ship Ratts was floating down at a rate of knots, we're turning this ship around, and doing it against the current without our strongest oarsman Brad Crouch and a few young players down on belief with zero leadership from our meek seniors.

Any levers that other teams can pull - draft concessions for poor performance, state academies, a proud and successful club tradition and culture, massive crowds from set in stone blockbuster games to attract players who want the big time, media love in (imagine if Ross got the adulation that Ken Hinkley or Adam Simpson got, rather than grudging respect), sway with the AFL based on financial contribution to the game like the Pies, Blues, Eagles etc are simply unavailable for us, just like on field we're doing it the hard way and it just takes longer.

And you watch those Saints supporting mates who are as disgusted as that footy puritan Gerard Wheatley with our unfashionable style start coming to games again once it starts to click and our players are a hardened unit playing a tight consistent system and scaring the shit out of oppo teams - this will happen but getting to that point from where we were at the end of 22 takes time, pain, and patience.

I saw at the start of last year, and fleeting glimpses this year what our best might look like, I believe.

Steady as she goes.

Last edited:

I agree to some extent with this, but l want to ask what do you mean by "turn it around"?
Is it win/loss, game style, vibe or all of the above?
I'm running on the assumption we don't attract a real meaningful trade target and will only have organic growth to really on.

You remain unattractive while you look like you’re regressing. Lyon should have finals as a minimum. He’ll get an easy fixture, hopefully a better injury run and he has a lot of the youth starting to hit the fast climb range. If we need a mid he needs to get hold of a bridging player that isn’t ideal and draft some for the long term.

We need to keep finding Bonner, Stocker types that can come in and hold a spot or fill holes. They cost nothing so are no loss if they get pushed out in a couple of years. Hopefully pick off some low profile trades like Peatling or Sheldrick types.

Yeah, look. Even when playing better footy we bombed every marquee game opportunity so that's neither here not there.
We haven't attracted a top end player since Sammy and Gtrain, so that's nither here nor there also.
If we're not a competitive top 8-10 side, well of course we wont play finals.
We never get prime fixtures anywar because the league favour a select few clubs that doesn't include us.

Don't go down that rabbit hole. There's nothing good down there.

That’s such a depressing attitude. You make your own luck in the AFL. If you are playing shit footy no one wants to televise your games do you get shunted to Sundays. If you are bottom 8 side, you don’t get high profile games. We need to stop worrying about obstacles and start looking for opportunities.

That’s such a depressing attitude. You make your own luck in the AFL. If you are playing shit footy no one wants to televise your games do you get shunted to Sundays. If you are bottom 8 side, you don’t get high profile games. We need to stop worrying about obstacles and start looking for opportunities.
I just think the rest happens when we can offer a good product. Until that happens it's little value making a fuss about it.

It’s been an atrocious few days for Max King, form wise, media wise and unfortunately fan wise, compounded by a season ending injury.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZIpPmhrlew&ab_channel=SaintsTV

Caro just whacked Bassett yet again. She can’t help herself. Debate the issue you old hag. What is he saying that isn’t 100% accurate.
As for Walsh saying we have forgotten about Mitch and Windy. He must have been pissed and forgot every club had the opportunity to take either of them. Just like Hawthorn took McKenzie off us.
Ugle Hagan on the other hand🙄
Have you ever noticed that Caro rarely smiles on FC.

She can't...!!!!!!

Her face would crack.....!!!!

:p :p

I think we made a mistake trading out Bruce frankly. Bruce was a very decent forward before his injuries and I think expecting King to just slot in that position without that support was naive.
That's really funny. Bruce was at times worse. I awalys remember the 10 meter out from goal square, straight in front and still missed it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

She can't...!!!!!!

I see her around Malvern. One time she let me go in front of of her at the supermarket because I had less stuff. I've liked her ever since, people in Malvern are usually all campaigners. She seems quite friendly in real life I suspect the Iron Lady thing is a bit of a persona for the media. She started the Volcano act before it was fashionable.

I see her around Malvern. One time she let me go in front of of her at the supermarket because I had less stuff. I've liked her ever since, people in Malvern are usually all campaigners. She seems quite friendly in real life I suspect the Iron Lady thing is a bit of a persona for the media. She started the Volcano act before it was fashionable.

Jesus Gringo, you're anyone's.

She can't...!!!!!!

Moaning Caro

2wGcCcT.jpeg

This from The Guardian this morning :

"No matter what you expected of St Kilda this year, surely you expected better than that. Sunday was the quintessential Ross Lyon game – minus the win, and minus the effort. The coach tried to remain upbeat in the post-match press conference. As always, he sought to deflect, to charm and to set the narrative around the team. But he was fooling no one, perhaps with the exception of his former media colleagues who continue to pull their punches. For it was blindingly obvious on Sunday – St Kilda don’t have the stars, they certainly don’t have the midfield and they don’t really have anything that makes you want to watch them, or believe in them.

Lyon has been granted an unusual amount of power at St Kilda. He’s shaped a lot of change around him – recruiters, development staff, CEOs. When he was appointed, he laid out his vision for how he wanted the team to play, and how he wanted the club to be run. He was disarming, and he was blunt. He gave us all the old aphorisms. Football has changed, he said, and he would change with it. He’d be less of a lunatic in the box. He’d be less of an autocrat. He’d be “Cuddly Ross”.

What he doesn’t have, and what he hasn’t been able to change, is the list. He said he barely looked at the list before taking on the job at Fremantle and St Kilda. But in his previous role, he had Matthew Pavlich and he had a young Nathan Fyfe. This time around, he inherited a list that looked plain, clogged and poorly constructed.

Early on in his tenure, the Saints caught the competition on the hop. They were limited, but they were super fit and they were relentless. But it’s since stalled. The Saints are a grim watch right now. The coach seems a bit bewildered by it all. He thought they’d be better than this. “Failure’s feedback,” is one of his favourites. He keeps saying it, and they keep losing the same way.

The supporter base has seen it all, heard it all and been subjected to too much. But they expected better than this. Losing is hard enough. Losing and scratching around for a couple of goals a quarter is just depressing.

“A year of exploration,” Lyon called his first year. 2024 has been more of a reality check. For him, it’s the realisation that a coach can’t just waltz in and overcome decades of poor drafting, poor trading and poor development. For everyone else, it’s Lyon’s own limitations that are glaring – the inability, or unwillingness, to foster a brand of football that is sustainable and, at the very least, watchable."

"No matter what you expected of St Kilda this year, surely you expected better than that. Sunday was the quintessential Ross Lyon game – minus the win, and minus the effort. The coach tried to remain upbeat in the post-match press conference. As always, he sought to deflect, to charm and to set the narrative around the team. But he was fooling no one, perhaps with the exception of his former media colleagues who continue to pull their punches. For it was blindingly obvious on Sunday – St Kilda don’t have the stars, they certainly don’t have the midfield and they don’t really have anything that makes you want to watch them, or believe in them.

Lyon has been granted an unusual amount of power at St Kilda. He’s shaped a lot of change around him – recruiters, development staff, CEOs. When he was appointed, he laid out his vision for how he wanted the team to play, and how he wanted the club to be run. He was disarming, and he was blunt. He gave us all the old aphorisms. Football has changed, he said, and he would change with it. He’d be less of a lunatic in the box. He’d be less of an autocrat. He’d be “Cuddly Ross”.

What he doesn’t have, and what he hasn’t been able to change, is the list. He said he barely looked at the list before taking on the job at Fremantle and St Kilda. But in his previous role, he had Matthew Pavlich and he had a young Nathan Fyfe. This time around, he inherited a list that looked plain, clogged and poorly constructed.

Early on in his tenure, the Saints caught the competition on the hop. They were limited, but they were super fit and they were relentless. But it’s since stalled. The Saints are a grim watch right now. The coach seems a bit bewildered by it all. He thought they’d be better than this. “Failure’s feedback,” is one of his favourites. He keeps saying it, and they keep losing the same way.

The supporter base has seen it all, heard it all and been subjected to too much. But they expected better than this. Losing is hard enough. Losing and scratching around for a couple of goals a quarter is just depressing.

“A year of exploration,” Lyon called his first year. 2024 has been more of a reality check. For him, it’s the realisation that a coach can’t just waltz in and overcome decades of poor drafting, poor trading and poor development. For everyone else, it’s Lyon’s own limitations that are glaring – the inability, or unwillingness, to foster a brand of football that is sustainable and, at the very least, watchable."

Ho hum.

Another boring, repetitive, regurgitated piece of “journalism”. It’s almost plagiarism with so many “journos” writing the same articles with the same analysis.

Find something else to write about clowns

UcWjZWk.gif

Fellas quick, stacks on St Kilda!

None of this schit will go forgotten when we turn this ship around.

This media bashing is pathetic. There’s some reasonable points in amongst the absurd hyperbole and cherry picking or blatant making up of facts/stats:
  • I don’t disagree we play an unattractive brand. But I’ve long suspected it is in part due to the list limitations. I can only imagine the abuse we’d be getting if we were playing “free flowing” footy and getting beaten by 50+ points every 2nd week”.
  • To say Philipou has gone backwards ignores the fact that he had changed positions and the expectations on him have increased exponentially and ignores his development in the VFL.
  • To attack our development is an outdated and lazy view. Historically I don’t disagree but in the last few years we are definitely on the right track.
  • To put Essendon or even hawthorn up as a poster child as to what we should be doing is laughable. Essendon have done what we have done, topped up on average players for a sugar hit this year. And I still think they will likely miss the 8 - their percentage tells the story. Hawthorn may be having a good patch but development is not linear and they’re not in the 8 and no guarantee to be in there next year.
- To say we are miles behind every team in turns of talent and have no stars is moronic. I agree the list is a long way off and needs a lot of work but we had 2 all Australians last year. Which is more than half the teams in the comp. And every team in the league would love to have NWM on their list. I still believe our defence is in the best 4 or 5 in the league. And with a half decent midfield it would be even better.

I’m over the media. A bunch of lazy, unintelligent fools, with memory’s of a gold fish.

We’re in a tricky spot but things are never as good or as bad as they seem. We need to stick to the process and keep attacking the draft and developing.

Last edited:
These are the negative articles that the media vultures were hoping they could write about St Kilda and Ross Lyon last year but they had to put them on hold when we defied expectations by finishing in the Top 8 and playing finals.

With us dropping off this year all the vultures are making up for lost time by wheeling out all their negative articles about us now.

This is the perfect week for them to have a free hit too as we're playing Sydney so us winning to make them look stupid is unlikely

Remove this Banner Ad

Back