List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

OMG, not the Tom Hawkins merry go round again. For starters he had the biggest one year leap in productivity of any forward I can remember the last 20 years, certainly the exception not the norm.

Also, you do realise this is Kings 6th year on an AFL list? Sure he has missed games, but Hawkins was close to best on ground in a GF in his 5th year. By his 6th year, same age King is now, he was the best forward in the comp.

Comparisons are laughable. King has regressed. Was showing far more promise 2-3 years ago.
Hawkins played with arguably the best midfield of the last 20 years, and King is playing in a side with the worst midfield in the comp.

King hasn’t regressed, he’s struggling for luck with a couple of unfortunate injuries.

King is a jet and one of the few players on our list with the capacity to become elite. God forbid we look to lock him in long term.

Since this is the trade thread, Id like to ask who could/should we realistically target at the end of the year?

How about Caldwell? If Crouch never came, we'd have him coming good right about now.

Brayshaw & Callaghan, both are no brainers if we could throw our war chest in their direction.

Duggan, I'm guessing Battle will leave, with our compo being so high we won't try to stop him. If he stays, Ainsworth and Duggan are probably all who are left as free agents.

Anyway, I guess I'm just spitballing here, but would love to hear about any names we are potentially looking at.

Since this is the trade thread, Id like to ask who could/should we realistically target at the end of the year?

How about Caldwell? If Crouch never came, we'd have him coming good right about now.

Brayshaw & Callaghan, both are no brainers if we could throw our war chest in their direction.

Duggan, I'm guessing Battle will leave, with our compo being so high we won't try to stop him. If he stays, Ainsworth and Duggan are probably all who are left as free agents.

Anyway, I guess I'm just spitballing here, but would love to hear about any names we are potentially looking at.
Realistically there wont be many looking to join so suggestions like Parker are probably closest to the mark. I can also see us taking salary dumps so should make for "interesting" time.

OMG, not the Tom Hawkins merry go round again. For starters he had the biggest one year leap in productivity of any forward I can remember the last 20 years, certainly the exception not the norm.

Also, you do realise this is Kings 6th year on an AFL list? Sure he has missed games, but Hawkins was close to best on ground in a GF in his 5th year. By his 6th year, same age King is now, he was the best forward in the comp.

Comparisons are laughable. King has regressed. Was showing far more promise 2-3 years ago.
Whats your argument exactly? That he was playing better before two shoulder surgeries and bone bruising on his knee?

We definitely won’t give up our first rounder or battle compo if he leaves.

Can’t see us giving up a 2nd round draft pick either tbh

Think it will be a quiet trade period for us. We already have 15 players on our list from other clubs, don’t think it’s the answer right now to go and get more

Whats your argument exactly? That he was playing better before two shoulder surgeries and bone bruising on his knee?
Next year will be his 7th year on an AFL list. Huge holes in his game, and referencing Hawkins who had the most spectucular breakout year of any forward the last 20 years is simply unrealistic.

I am not saying King is hopeless or that he must be traded, but talks of a long term deal are worriesome to me.

His body language is shocking. What exactly would we be rewarding him for?

If Max is concerned he is not getting 1m a year for a 5 year extension thrown at him, then who cares? Let him ask for a trade.

If he is reasonable, he should be acutely aware that he is not playing remotely close to a level that would justify that kind of money.

Let's see how he goes next year before we put a mega contract in front of him.

Absolutely no way Caldwell or Durham leave the Bombers. They will both get good deals to stay.

Would be interested if there is a cap squeeze on a club like Carlton. Not sure if Cerra and Hewett are exactly what we need but they are better than what we have currently.

I know it was a running joke last off-season but we should keep half an on eye Dylan Shiel. Out of contract and surely the Bombers wouldn’t fight to keep him. Short term option, but he has the physical attributes we need. He would need to show his body is right though. Played a nice game tonight. Got 26 touches and I think the most tackles on the ground, or close to it.

It's a classic case of a "double edged sword"
100%
I can’t decide whether I’d prefer Battle to go or stay.
I really rate him, and it’s always harder to lose players who were drafted to the club, but that pick just after ours as it stands is very, very tempting.

Just finished up at the pub with a few mates talking footy dribble.

One of them is a doggies supporter and made a really good suggestion.

If we end up with picks 4+5 (battle)

Why not draft the best mid available at pick 4 and trade pick 5 for Smith.

That would net us a midfielder we need now and one to develop, win win.

On CPH2145 using BigFooty.com mobile app
What are his issues? Because I think he’s had a few, hasn’t he?
When last did he play?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Next year will be his 7th year on an AFL list. Huge holes in his game, and referencing Hawkins who had the most spectucular breakout year of any forward the last 20 years is simply unrealistic.

I am not saying King is hopeless or that he must be traded, but talks of a long term deal are worriesome to me.

His body language is shocking. What exactly would we be rewarding him for?

If Max is concerned he is not getting 1m a year for a 5 year extension thrown at him, then who cares? Let him ask for a trade.

If he is reasonable, he should be acutely aware that he is not playing remotely close to a level that would justify that kind of money.

Let's see how he goes next year before we put a mega contract in front of him.
I think he is over rated but next year, injury free and with a clear head maybe he will look like an AFL standard player and we'll all be glad he plays for us, it's a big ask but shite happens.

I think he is over rated but next year, injury free and with a clear head maybe he will look like an AFL standard player and we'll all be glad he plays for us, it's a big ask but shite happens.
Something needs to click for him...and I hope for his sake and ours that it does. Eventually all these excuses everyone makes - some perhaps justified, but most over emotional and sentimental with starstruck wondering and waiting on what he "could" be, rather than what he is - are going to run dry for him.
Patience can only go so far.

Last edited:
Something needs to click for him...and I hope for his sake and ours that it does. Eventually all these excuses everyone makes - some perhaps justified, but most over emotional and sentimental with starstruck wondering and waiting on what he "could" be, rather than what he is - are going to run dry for him.
If Max had grown up a Crows fan or an Essendon fan we'd have traded him by now and if Higgins hadn't been at those finals with a little Saints jumper on he'd probably still be a Tiger.

Je ne regrette rien.

Gee you'd look at macrae for sure
Bailey too much baggage and probs.

Parker would be ok to help along short term
id prefer looking at s.berry's brodies peatling ward types,guys who could be there when/if we click,but if nothing shakes free then im happy to spend the cap on the macraes and parkers of this world,knowing the space will be readily available soon again for when we can get a gun free agent

as for max king,i will support and get on board with whatever the club decides to do with him,but if it is a long term contract and he continues to pout sook look dejected before eventually getting traded for a 2rdp or f2rdp im out,that will be the last straw,because what im seeing week in week out from him is not what ive seen from others in a form slump,at least parker belted some prick in the 2nds and i bet he comes back angry and focused and will be back in the ones quickly,ming just looks pardon the pun from 2 lines up-but week

I think what hurts us is the lack of quality across the midfield and forward, which basically is the engine room of where a game is won and lost, and no surprise it’s our defence keeping us remotely in games.

You could take your pick of A-grade quality and talent across the back half (Wilkie, Sinclair, Nas and Battle), then across the rest of the ground IMO Steele, Higgins and Marshall are the only ones I would consider (maybe Wood and Hill could be added but reality is they’re link up players on a wing).

Hopefully next 2-3 years we see players like Windy, Mitchito, Pou, Henry, Wilson, King etc come on, with a bit of luck also Caminiti, Keeler, Garcia etc.

Anyone disregarding the list I think is just trying to wave its the coaches fault flag again, because that’s clearly worked the last few times. No doubt there needs to be a better strategy across forward transition, but I don’t see how any coach gets sustained success with this current squad which competes at the top end.

This is one of those things that's kind of true. We have needed quality and depth in the midfield for years but lets not pretend that the whole midfield is shit. We took a risk by carrying very little depth and so when Crouch got injured and then Steele got knocked around our season fell apart. Seb Ross also fell over a cliff.

In the modern game the midfield is more than just the inside mids. Henry, Hill, Wood, Marshall, Wilson, Windhager etc are all outside players that roll end to end with the play, Then you have high half forwards and your running backs that are also pretty much midfielders these days.

We are missing a very specific type of mid. Those inside types. But then Lyon won't play guys who can't spread as well. He kept mentioning the Geelong flag side when he started. I think he looked at how they played with a very minimal inside brigade but exceptional outside ball movement as a model for us.

To me we have enough to play well but for what ever reason the side doesn't gel well. Perhaps just not enough games together to really bed in the game plan. Injury to small forwards and a down season from King and Owens probably had more of a detrimental effect than the mids even. Lots of sides will lose clearance and still win matches in modern footy.

Absolutely no way Caldwell or Durham leave the Bombers. They will both get good deals to stay.

Would be interested if there is a cap squeeze on a club like Carlton. Not sure if Cerra and Hewett are exactly what we need but they are better than what we have currently.

I know it was a running joke last off-season but we should keep half an on eye Dylan Shiel. Out of contract and surely the Bombers wouldn’t fight to keep him. Short term option, but he has the physical attributes we need. He would need to show his body is right though. Played a nice game tonight. Got 26 touches and I think the most tackles on the ground, or close to it.

Shiel is cooked he must average 2 games a season or something. It would be like buying a broken SebRoss.

Gee you'd look at macrae for sure
Bailey too much baggage and probs.

Parker would be ok to help along short term

Bailey Smith is too outside for us. That's one area we have cover. We need guys who can play inside mid. Macrae makes more sense because he's more first use.

A lot of it has to fall on coaching. With his brother as a direct measure leading the Coleman you can only hope we find a way to get the ball inside 50 with more purpose. If we had one of our tall forwards dominating you could make a case for him being shit but it looks to me like the entries are horrible and misdirected and he hasn't been developed to make his own luck.

Weirdly early last year with Zlugger and Hammer in the tall forward posts, we delivered the ball with precision and purpose.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back