List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Please 2 - 4 goals battle 😳 just be honest for a change he’s a good player nothing more. He also plays a position we have cover for so that’s just crap imo.

You’ve been hyper critical of Lyon amongst other things and I’m sorry it just doesn’t line up with what’s actually happening.

That's no different from you having an opinion. He's probably going to make us a weaker defensive in the short term and probably do leak more goals.

Battle is better than a GOP or sides wouldn't be offering him big money. There are only a handful of good interceptors in the AFL and guys like Lever and Stewart are some of the most important in the AFL. If we went out to replace him we'd be paying more.

We might have one with Schoenmaker already but he's played a few games and there is probably 2 to 3 years before he's at the same output even if he works out as good or better.

Also setting our selves up to have a big drop off when the older crew retire with a huge age gap between Battle and the large youth group.

Lyon has taken us backwards and should be criticised. If he makes Sunday the norm we'll all be praising him. Especially if he can bring on the kids with no step backwards. If he is here to improve our list, standards and backroom and he doesn't do what he's employed to do he should be held to account like any employee.

9 years for King at the reported $1.1m will probably end up looking like the best bargain in the league.

Cap is going up significantly next year, to get band 1 compo you need your player to sign elsewhere for $900k+

It's a gamble. It's either an incredible bargain with a deal made when he's at his lowest ebb. Or it's a recklessly long contract that will be an anchor we regret as he never reaches the level we hope. You probably do the deal and front load it and then it doesn't really matter if you cull him later if he doesn't make it.

It's a gamble. It's either an incredible bargain with a deal made when he's at his lowest ebb. Or it's a recklessly long contract that will be an anchor we regret as he never reaches the level we hope. You probably do the deal and front load it and then it doesn't really matter if you cull him later if he doesn't make it.

King is really interesting. Personally, I think as a starting full forward he is not worth anything near what is being suggested and would lean more toward it being the anchor.

But if he is to play further up the ground in a Riewoldt/Cameron even Daniher type role, then I think that is a completely different prospect. To date we have really only seen glimpses of that. But I think IF he can play that role he becomes far more valuable. The questions are his tank and his resiliance.

Imagine if we ended up with pick 3 for Battle. Maybe we could get the next Jack Billings!

Just read on another thread that the term 'culled' is being thrown about in regards to Battle.

Does anybody think Battle is being selectively slaughtered by the STKFC, or is term being used to deliberately to paint a negative picture of the club who has been reported as trying hard to retain Battle's services.
Why do people continue to shitcan the club with dog whistles?

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Easy target, so when people can they try and control the narrative just as we tall poppy and try to cut down when they invariably fail. Just as an easy target, it's easier to control that narrative, and it's part of why when you are in the world, you DGAF about the media as most of it is rubbish opinion with snippets of a rando convo thrown in.

Imagine if we ended up with pick 3 for Battle. Maybe we could get the next Jack Billings!

People whinging about how shit Denver Grainger-Barrass is might want to look at which pick he was taken at too.

If he is here to improve our list, standards and backroom and he doesn't do what he's employed to do he should be held to account like any employee.
Absolutely. However, achieving the broader objective of playing deep in to finals means sometimes these things are moving in different directions. Often raising standards means the list takes a hit, or improving the list means playing metrics take a hit. Even raising standards in areas like injury management, can have a significant impact on the best 22.

I think last week was a glimpse of Ross Lyons vision for the game plan. Break even at stoppage, trap it in the forward half, when it does get out be hard to score against and when we win the ball back rebound with pace and potency. Most importantly convert your looks at goal.

As good as it was, it wasn't a complete performance. Sydney still beat us in the contested possessions, made fewer turnovers, and had 27 scoring shots to 19. We just had a bit of luck go our way for once. Will lady luck jump in to bed with us every week? I hope so, but I expect not.

I definitely liked the glimpses we saw of the game plan. It's fast, exciting, predicated on being skillful and combative and would be a lot of fun to watch week in and week out. It's clear to me that when everyone is buying in, and playing with energy, then the game plan stacks up against the very best teams. We still need to find a few, and develop a few but if the players can execute what is being asked of them consistently then I think we will find ourselves deep in finals.

Anyway, here's something we can all enjoy:

1720576141003.png

King is really interesting. Personally, I think as a starting full forward he is not worth anything near what is being suggested and would lean more toward it being the anchor.

But if he is to play further up the ground in a Riewoldt/Cameron even Daniher type role, then I think that is a completely different prospect. To date we have really only seen glimpses of that. But I think IF he can play that role he becomes far more valuable. The questions are his tank and his resiliance.
He kicked like 50.40 in his third full season.

Missed the first season with an ACL
18, 20, 22 in the next three seasons
11 last year after Dougal popped his shoulder - still came back and 2.5 a game even with his shoulder not being 100%
This year is his FIRST bad season, looks out of sorts, low on confidence and has had some niggles.

BUT WE ARE THE WORST TEAM AT LINKING UP WITH THE FORWARD HALF

Yes he can lead better but damn, leading to some of our mids and having them kick it 20m wide of you would make you stop leading as well :tearsofjoy:

Nobody wants Battle to leave, I don't think anybody is cheering for it to happen.
We saw his value on Sunday.
However if he does go UFA, we have to make the best of compensation offered.

We have screamed for an eternity for quality mids, take the best two available, get Parker or Oliver on a salary dump, find a backman nearing their end and offer a two year superannuation deal while we get Keeler, Van Es, Arie and McClennan up to speed.
I won't be happy if Battle leaves. In fact would much rather we trade King for another two firsts at the moment ,( I will surely be proven wrong), but if he does we just HAVE to strengthen our midfield.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app
i dont think we will land two quality mids... feels like clark and coffield all over again

i dont think we will land two quality mids... feels like clark and coffield all over again
How can it feel like that when we don't even know who we'll get?

Our recent picking is looking pretty good. Pou at 10 or whatever he was, Wilson at 18-odd.

I'd prefer we keep Battle but if we end up with another top ten pick for him it's a nice return.

Our recent picking is looking pretty good. Pou at 10 or whatever he was, Wilson at 18-odd.

I'd prefer we keep Battle but if we end up with another top ten pick for him it's a nice return.

been burnt too many times on the promise of an outcome

right now we have a known high performer in battle in a very hard position to fill (our record of drafting and trading CHB has been absolutely appalling for two decades).

meanwhile we are going to say we will get two elite mids. again our drafting of mids hasnt been great. you point to Pou and Wilson but both are very green its not known if they will turn into elite mids. there's potential and promise and they're tracking in the right direction but they're miles off being elite yet.

Yeah everyone has PTSD from the early 2010's but isn't actually looking at the reality of recent times

Here's a list of our key group of 25's and under

Higgins
Max
Nas
Mitchito
Windy
Wilson
Arie
Henry
Phillipou
Caminiti

Most of them are looking like ticks to me.

Yeah everyone has PTSD from the early 2010's but isn't actually looking at the reality of recent times

Here's a list of our key group of 25's and under

Higgins
Max
Nas
Mitchito
Windy
Wilson
Arie
Henry
Phillipou
Caminiti

Most of them are looking like ticks to me.
Blood 🩸 suckers?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Absolutely. However, achieving the broader objective of playing deep in to finals means sometimes these things are moving in different directions. Often raising standards means the list takes a hit, or improving the list means playing metrics take a hit. Even raising standards in areas like injury management, can have a significant impact on the best 22.

I think last week was a glimpse of Ross Lyons vision for the game plan. Break even at stoppage, trap it in the forward half, when it does get out be hard to score against and when we win the ball back rebound with pace and potency. Most importantly convert your looks at goal.

As good as it was, it wasn't a complete performance. Sydney still beat us in the contested possessions, made fewer turnovers, and had 27 scoring shots to 19. We just had a bit of luck go our way for once. Will lady luck jump in to bed with us every week? I hope so, but I expect not.

I definitely liked the glimpses we saw of the game plan. It's fast, exciting, predicated on being skillful and combative and would be a lot of fun to watch week in and week out. It's clear to me that when everyone is buying in, and playing with energy, then the game plan stacks up against the very best teams. We still need to find a few, and develop a few but if the players can execute what is being asked of them consistently then I think we will find ourselves deep in finals.

Anyway, here's something we can all enjoy:

View attachment 2044221
Really like this. Scoring from defensive turnovers is our 1 wood atm. It is really difficult to do consistently. Scoring from centre square clearances is where the money is. It’s why players like Cripps, Dusty, Warner, Henry, Butters, Rozee are so vital. Makes your game plan so much more efficient and sustainable.

Consistently taking the ball the length of the field from a defensive intercept is unsustainable.

Really like this. Scoring from defensive turnovers is our 1 wood atm. It is really difficult to do consistently. Scoring from centre square clearances is where the money is. It’s why players like Cripps, Dusty, Warner, Henry, Butters, Rozee are so vital. Makes your game plan so much more efficient and sustainable.

Consistently taking the ball the length of the field from a defensive intercept is unsustainable.
Do you have evidence for this or did you make this up

He's leaving.... based on what people "feel".

been burnt too many times on the promise of an outcome

right now we have a known high performer in battle in a very hard position to fill (our record of drafting and trading CHB has been absolutely appalling for two decades).

meanwhile we are going to say we will get two elite mids. again our drafting of mids hasnt been great. you point to Pou and Wilson but both are very green its not known if they will turn into elite mids. there's potential and promise and they're tracking in the right direction but they're miles off being elite yet.

Delaney, Frawley, Maister, Bruce ( recruited as a back ) , Austin, Rowe, Marsh..... easy peasy.

That's no different from you having an opinion. He's probably going to make us a weaker defensive in the short term and probably do leak more goals.

Battle is better than a GOP or sides wouldn't be offering him big money. There are only a handful of good interceptors in the AFL and guys like Lever and Stewart are some of the most important in the AFL. If we went out to replace him we'd be paying more.

We might have one with Schoenmaker already but he's played a few games and there is probably 2 to 3 years before he's at the same output even if he works out as good or better.

Also setting our selves up to have a big drop off when the older crew retire with a huge age gap between Battle and the large youth group.

Lyon has taken us backwards and should be criticised. If he makes Sunday the norm we'll all be praising him. Especially if he can bring on the kids with no step backwards. If he is here to improve our list, standards and backroom and he doesn't do what he's employed to do he should be held to account like any employee.
I just think you’re dead wrong gringo on Lyon’s performance and on battles importance.

Imo you’ve ignored what Lyon was brought in to do and the state of our list. We weren’t imo a genuine top 8 team let alone a top 4 yet he’s managed to pinch a finals spot in his first year and probably finishes with 9 wins this year with many close losses. All while missing important players, turning over players and playing our kids. That’s an A from me so what standards exactly are you setting that he hasn’t met?.

As I’ve said before I like battle and would be happy if he stays. Interestingly he’s playing the best football of his career under Lyon in no small part due to the structure and players around him, another Lyon achievement imo. As to how I rate battle imo he’s a good 3rd tall who has some versatility, on his day he’s very good. As has been pointed out battle is a free agent who has had a very good offer in front of him for months and our likely compensation at 5/6 far exceeds his true worth so it’s a win win for us.

The Lyon is lousy, Lyon can’t coach, sack the board stick just seems unhinged to me but as you say we’re all entitled to an opinion.

Last edited:
Good for him! With all the talk he'd already booked his ticket back to Perth, it's good to see he wants to stay. Says a lot about the environment we are creating.

Now let's focus on him improving as a player.
Can’t teach his pace, agility and ability to kick a goal. I’m very happy if the rumours are true because at some point I’m backing him in to start finding his feet and then he’ll be great to watch.

Last edited:
Could be doing a Jamie Cripps. Or not.

Good for him! With all the talk he'd already booked his ticket back to Perth, it's good to see he wants to stay. Says a lot about the environment we are creating.

Now let's focus on him improving as a player.
Thats suprising and agree with the above. Was just thinking làtely , theres some great leaders at the club . Wood, Hill, Wilkie and Hernry seems very positive

Riley Beveridge also linked us to Matt Owies from the Blues.

I understand why we could be interested, considering he's basically been Carlton's third best goal scorer over the past couple of years and it out-of-contract. We had interest in Stengle, so this could be a low-cost option.

List Mgmt. 2024 Trade Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back