Training 2024 Training - reports, pics etc

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think we have one except a high level of physicality when at our best. But i think at times Dees midfield/def, Brisbane's midfield/def have the same level of physicality. Pies in their mid/def also have similar hardness available.

I think the only team that stands out for being really different is the Pies who have no key forwards of any note and an elite kicking game offensively that offsets the lack of quality key fwds.

Everyone else is just building strong lists and we are where we are because our list of players is now very strong. I think we dump kick it into the forward line very similar to Doggies key forwards.

So our one wood is physicality and our achilles heel is the corresponding injuries that comes from the style.

We can improve our kicking and inside 50 connections but Acres, Walsh, Cripps, Doch, Hollands cant compete with Daicos x 2, Pendles and Sidebottom on those type of kicks/vision. Basically we need Acres/Cripps, Cerra, Hewett etc to bash them into physical submission.
If we can reduce our dump kicking out of stoppages by quick hands to release a player who has enough time to actually kick the ball to our advantage combined with overall better/aggressive field kicking ala the filth we could absolutely dominate the next few years. That would make us a well rounded side that doesn't solely rely on bash and crash that leaves your prime movers all banged up come finals time. I hope the running power brought in helps us with lightning ball movement where we finally start kicking seemingly easy goals where opposition defenders can get back leaving loads of space and hopefully an even spread of goalkickers. Relying on Charlie is unwise and unfair really it's also too predictable as is bash and crash only. Way too one sided for mine, easy to plan against and it's why we didn't win flag 17 last year.
Has anyone taken notice of the boys kicking drills/skills and overlap run at training this preseason to suggest we are adding that string to our bow?
The 2k is favoured over the 3k for Vo2 Max calculation, so it's a great indication for overall running performance but it isn't the best for sport specific running whereby a lot of efforts in footy are short sprints rather than long, steady state efforts.

The 2k is only favoured (to my knowledge) because it is less burden on the players bodies, so they can pull up and even go for a training session afterward.

If we can reduce our dump kicking out of stoppages by quick hands to release a player who has enough time to actually kick the ball to our advantage combined with overall better/aggressive field kicking ala the filth we could absolutely dominate the next few years. That would make us a well rounded side that doesn't solely rely on bash and crash that leaves your prime movers all banged up come finals time. I hope the running power brought in helps us with lightning ball movement where we finally start kicking seemingly easy goals where opposition defenders can get back leaving loads of space and hopefully an even spread of goalkickers. Relying on Charlie is unwise and unfair really it's also too predictable as is bash and crash only. Way too one sided for mine, easy to plan against and it's why we didn't win flag 17 last year.
Has anyone taken notice of the boys kicking drills/skills and overlap run at training this preseason to suggest we are adding that string to our bow?
Yo Yo test is probably the best indicator by the sounds of what you are describing.
Does anyone know player Yo Yo scores?

I'd suggest our only shortcoming is the mid to forward 'connection'.

Our forwards are still learning to play together as are the mids playing with a consistent forward six.

Reckon we'll see marked improvement in this aspect this year, such that we'll hand out a few serious beltings.

The psychological effect (on both teams) of repeated 'easy' goals is much understated.

Team doesn't lack points of difference.

Charlie and Harry are extremely potent marking targets.

Saad, Williams and Newman are a very dangerous set of rebounders who can get up the ground and be damaging

But as a general sense, I think we have one of the strongest sets of repeat effort players in the comp, which lets us play a higher pressure game, because Acres or Docherty or Walsh or a Hollands brother is backing up and gut-running defensively.

Our midfield might be slow (Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett, Cerra) but they can play a very in your face contested game, because the outside players are working hard to get the out-number, so it matters less if the opposition gets out of the contest.

Even better, on the attack the hard-running extras creates lots of opportunities to run the ball or keep it in motion as there are lots of options for the player with the ball.

Makes the game more dynamic in our favour

This is another piece in the puzzle that will be interesting.

Can we play Cripps Hewett Kennedy all in the same midfield? All contested beasts that win a lot of ball but are slow. If a side get us on the outside we will struggle defensively with those three in the middle. However, if they win the majority of contests we are well in front.

IMO Cerra Walsh are a bit different. They can also win contested ball but are better at covering the ground. Having Holland x 2, Docherty Durdin Motlop Cuningham Martin helping through the guts will really help

The addition of Williams E.Hollands Fantatsia around the flanks should help our run at well

I don’t know the answer and it may be a mix of both but will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Modern footy there aren't really designated outside and inside players like there used to be. Some are more inside, some are more outside but everyone is both due to the team aspect and up and back running and contested nature of the modern game. For example, when the team breaks from defence, everyone is an outside player pushing hard forward to get numbers/options forward and move the ball quickly. Those who aren't, they aren't because they are failing in the running department to make the ground quick enough to get into position to be an option.

Same when defending, when the opposition break, everyone is an outside defender, all the players are. Those slow mids and slow forwards who get run off are failing because they aren't doing the running.

Our wingers and half backs are good contested players now and that has improved us. Outside positions where the players face plenty of contested situations. Where we are still a little weak is our onball mix. Onball is a contested/inside position with heaps of outside play. The outside game of our onballers is mediocre while the inside game is really good. That's the area to improve for us as it was with our wingers and flankers. Improving the balance.

You can have a few one way runners in your team providing they are really good. But there is a limit. The problem with Cripps, Hewett and Kennedy is that they are one way runners. If you want them to be defending they will work hard and get to the defensive side of the ball, they will drop back inside 50 and their efforts will be spent doing that. Problem is when we break they will be the ones jogging forward and just not getting to the contest and that hurts our ball movement, you see that with us all the time. Defending really hard, unable to get the ball forward and move it quickly. We saw that in the finals series and earlier this season. We defended really well, got numbers back but had nothing going forward. Cerra and Walsh being so good glosses over this weakness.

The other thing you can do is if you want them attacking you allow them to stay forward of the ball. This was something we did after the Essendon loss and was a big reason for our turnaround. Can we do it in big games against really good sides? Come finals we didn't so that would suggests we aren't game to or no.

I'd be happy to see one or two players in the side with this license. But not three. We need another two way runner in the middle and if that player has break away speed and we can use that to hurt the opposition and open the game up then even better. Keep our hard defensive structure but improve our ball movement when we break and go forward.

We relied heavily on Cerra and Walsh who carried too much of the load and both suffered from hamstring injuries. We need another in there and we need to be able to rotate them more often.

I'd like to think Docherty can go into the middle and give us another two way runner in there or if not him maybe O Hollands steps up in an onball role or Wilson comes on early or E Hollands steps up in there. Carroll is a player we have also forgotten about. Give us a 25 possession onballer who has good skills and hurt factor who runs both ways at speed, applies good pressure and we are definitely one of the favorites for the flag. There are options. We just need that bit of luck that one of them turns out.

If we are going to step it up with the best of the best and seriously challenge for the premiership then we need to improve a bit. Brisbane IMO brought us back to earth and exposed our weaknesses. We gave up a 5 goal lead to lose comfortably, we got absolutely belted after quarter time for the majority of that match. They got us with break away speed in the middle, we could not catch them to apply pressure and make tackles, we were too slow. Their half backs ran off our forwards too easily. Their mids were better two way runners and they ran the legs off our mids. We were desperate for half back run and midfield run to counteract this and could not find it, we simply ran out of onfield depth in this area that day.

Defensive run should improve. Marchbank fitter. Inject Williams and Boyd into the side to partner Saad. Cincotta fitter, Kemp and McGovern in good shape gives us good run and depth. Midfield rotations should be better. But we need to find some new quality faces in the middle of the ground to bring the closing speed and two way run to go to the next level. We didn't have that in 2023 so we need to find it in 2024.

2 of Cripps, Kennedy and Hewett. Can't have too many who will only work one way in the modern game of team defence and team attack. Our team defence was good in 2023. Our team attack was good when we left the defenders unprotected and they were good enough to defend on their own. In 2024 we need to be playing 4 quarters with good teams defence and good team attack to win the flag.

Brilliant backup. Means that Cripps, Hewett and Kennedy don't have to play every game and should finish the season fresher. They all had injuries and needed to sit games out this season, that will happen again no doubt. Other clubs have had to confront this before, most famously Hawthorn with Josh Kennedy. Much the same situation, we are not unique here.

The other thing we need to do is nail the sub. We got the sub wrong 90% of the time last season, picking low impact players consistently. Sub needs to be a quick, high impact, high damage player, preferable an onballer. Someone we can inject right into the game.

The exciting thing about this coming season is that we know we are a really high quality side but also knowing that we have some new faces coming through with talent and that some or even just one of them really turning out lifts us to another level.

Speed and intensity around the ball and two way running. The best two teams at that were in the grand final this season. There is no doubting the importance of those two aspects of the game. Can't hide from it.

Last edited:
Very fair comments.

I’d like to see Cripps play a bit “fresher” during the year and that is where Kennedy & Hewett become vital. IMO Cripps struggles when he becomes banged up. That’s the way he plays. I hope during the year we freshen him up a few times. I would rather have him fit and playing 15 games than 23 games and struggling in many.

Be such a bonus to be confident and win games without him
Cripps should be looking at playing around 16 home and away games. Hawthorn did a great job at managing some of their stars such as Hodge. Hawthorn's cream when they were winning flags never planned to play every game. Our list is there now for many of the players on it.

Think we should really be looking to do this with many of our players who have depth under them. The small forward and the half backs. The wingers.

Cerra and Walsh doing regular hamstrings is a worry for mine. They should be looked at to rotate more and have the odd game off. Do we have to depth to do it? Maybe, we will see.

Would like to see Walsh and Cerra spend more time in other positions and on the bench. Problem is we are short on speed and two way run in the middle so they get pushed a bit hard. Would also like to see Cripp go forward more. Maybe with E Hollands we will.

Very fair comments.

I’d like to see Cripps play a bit “fresher” during the year and that is where Kennedy & Hewett become vital. IMO Cripps struggles when he becomes banged up. That’s the way he plays. I hope during the year we freshen him up a few times. I would rather have him fit and playing 15 games than 23 games and struggling in many.

Be such a bonus to be confident and win games without him
You know we are in a good state if we can afford to be this strategic with players management, but the players also have to buy into it too. e.g. Geelong a couple of years ago

I like the idea of giving players a freshen up as the season progresses..

There’s the mid season bye and the pre finals bye, so should depend on how well certain players are travelling physically/mentally by how they are micromanaged…

It’s quite possible that players who haven’t missed games through injury/suspension will be rotated by the club with possibly 1 or 2 games off for the long term management as the season progresses….

Freshens players up while rewarding your form players in the wings that are banging the door down, next in line…

You know we are in a good state if we can afford to be this strategic with players management, but the players also have to buy into it too. e.g. Geelong a couple of years ago

Importance of a good start to the season. If we can bank wins early we can be smart about mamaging our players because hopefully we will have in form players pushing for games

The days of "gifting' games are over

Last edited:
I personally feel like the only side which balances contested possession and run in the midfield is Port Adelaide. I’m not much of a stats man. So the statement is made purely on observation. I am conscious the stats may well indicate something else.

All I am trying to say is that while I would prefer more midfield run, I think most other sides suffer the same challenges in the midfield as we face regarding pace / contested possession balance.

With 5 on the bench, no reason why all of Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett, Cerra, Walsh can't play in the same side and I suspect they will
Not quite sure. Doc and Elijah affect this mix. Some chance Ollie gets more than cameos inside too. Is going to be very interesting.

I “love” Kennedy, but can see a scenario where he misses.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With 5 on the bench, no reason why all of Cripps, Kennedy, Hewett, Cerra, Walsh can't play in the same side and I suspect they will
I would hope Hewett and Kennedy playing isn’t at the expense of Elijah hollands and Cottrell. If we had to pick 3 out of those 4 I’d leave out Kennedy and play Hewett Cotts and Elijah

I’d like to just run over sides and Cripps Hewett Walsh Cerra provide enough grunt as well as doc

Just as a comparison point, look at the intensity level they're prepared to ramp up to (and down from):

I looked...

You'll have to explain why this clip is a comparison/different/better to our training as you've given no context. Its just a vague observation without sufficient detail.

I would hope Hewett and Kennedy playing isn’t at the expense of Elijah hollands and Cottrell. If we had to pick 3 out of those 4 I’d leave out Kennedy and play Hewett Cotts and Elijah

I’d like to just run over sides and Cripps Hewett Walsh Cerra provide enough grunt as well as doc
have to agree, assuming all are fit, kennedy is last picked (of the 'inside' mids) for mine but like JSOS, should get a lot of match time this year.

Not quite sure. Doc and Elijah affect this mix. Some chance Ollie gets more than cameos inside too. Is going to be very interesting.

My feel is a mix of Cripps, Kennedy/Hewett (1 of), Cerra, Walsh supported by Docherty, E.Hollands, O.Hollands and the small forwards is our best option.

During the year we may play all three contested players, and it depends upon opposition, but this is how I expect us to play the majority of the year

isn't it supposedly staying 4+sub for this year?

5 I believe, but could be wrong

Already have Doc and E Hollands in the side

Boyd Weitering McGovern
Williams Marchbank Saad

Acres Cripps Doc
Pittonet Cerra Hewett

Fantasia Curnow Martin
TDK McKay Motlop

Newman Kennedy O Holland Walsh E Hollands

But, perhaps Kennedy is fighting for a spot with Cottrell depending on conditions and or health of list at any point in time

Hope the above addresses your post

5 I believe, but could be wrong

Already have Doc and E Hollands in the side

Boyd Weitering McGovern
Williams Marchbank Saad

Acres Cripps Doc
Pittonet Cerra Hewett

Fantasia Curnow Martin
TDK McKay Motlop

Newman Kennedy O Holland Walsh E Hollands

But, perhaps Kennedy is fighting for a spot with Cottrell depending on conditions and or health of list at any point in time

Hope the above addresses your post
Agree with this lineup over everything I’ve seen so far, only thing I’d change is the two ruck setup to one in favour for bringing Corey Durdin in. I’d favour TDK over Pitto too.

Really balanced though and would be happy as Larry to roll this out round one

isn't it supposedly staying 4+sub for this year?
That’s most likely.

AFL not keen to change 22+1 primarily for administrative reasons :(
Likely that the rules about nominating subs, team selection (working out a way subs won’t be nominated as “outs” if they’ve played the week before) and timing of such things will be tweaked instead.
Clubs were asked for feedback and no official announcement as yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Training 2024 Training - reports, pics etc

Remove this Banner Ad

Back