USA 2024 US Presidential Election: Trump vs Harris (pt II)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'll be honest, I'm having trouble thinking about what I'd do if I had a vote in this election.

It isn't that Kamala isn't simply an inspiring candidate. For many, she's a deeply problematic option.

I feel that 'the system' (for lack of a better term) is so fundamentally beyond repair and I despair at the possibility of meaningful change, but I also see that this creates the danger of shrinking the differences between candidates.

Is there a fatalistic impulse? Is it that a second-term Trump gives a 'f*** you' to the entire charade? By not voting Dem in this election, does it amount to the same thing as a vote for Trump in 2016?

I'll keep arguing with myself and let you know the result.
I would have no issue. I would vote Dem all down the ticket, for the US sake and even for the GOP sake. Trumpsim needs to die. GOP, rid of him and his family, might have a chance to regroup and become a proper Conservative Party again, not just Triump fascists.

It's ok. We won't be waiting for the result. If you don't know the answers to the above that you've posed, but now, then there really is no point.

Waiting for FireKrakouer to endorse was more interesting.
Me endorsing Trump was an epic curveball that took many by surprise... my PM inbox has never recovered!

I think that this is only slightly less ill-advised than branding people a 'basket of deplorables'.

I'd suggest that Black-American men in PA and other places know how valuable women are in their lives. Calling them 'uncomfortable' with the idea of a woman as President seems counterproductive.

I'm being too easily misunderstood, and the likes and loves of FireKrakouer are not helpful.

On a day of glorious revolution, FK and his ilk would be summarily shot and/or forced to drink light beer.

I think that this is only slightly less ill-advised than branding people a 'basket of deplorables'.

I'd suggest that Black-American men in PA and other places know how valuable women are in their lives. Calling them 'uncomfortable' with the idea of a woman as President seems counterproductive.
I’d suggest that Obama might know black American men better than you.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d suggest that Obama might know black American men better than you.

I'm not sure what to say. Your assumption that I'm not a Black-American man from PA with two doting sisters and a close relationship to his mother is quite offensive.

It's not about whether or not you 'know' the people you're speaking to: it's about how you reach/turn them.

The implicit criticism in Obama's statement seems counterproductive.

You think it's good to be an idealist in a world where imperfection abounds?

I'm pretty far from an idealist, I think.

True enough that Trump or Harris will win the election, but no, the choice for voters is not 'binary'. Some see their vote as a positive affirmation of one candidate against the other. There might be aspects of that candidate they're not sure about, or which they don't like, but overall they feel satisfied that the choice is a good one.

It is a vote to be 'won'.

In an election where there are two unpalatable options, and which presents the spectacle of a race to the bottom (right), you believe that a person's vote should simply be given by default.

Unfortunately, a vote given by default is counted the same as a vote given in positive affirmation. It acts as a signal of support. For someone who is opposed to/horrified by both candidates, this is a serious problem.

American democracy happily contemplates a third choice: no vote. For a lot of people who are politically active in various ways, this might be their only option.
I think its garbage to say harris and trump are roughly equally unpalatable.

You clearly have no idea how bad things can actually get once you go down the path of dictatorship. A f*** you to democracy is not a good thing. Study up a bit on your political history. Your terribly uniformed opinions are harmful even if they arent deliberately so

I think its garbage to say harris and trump are roughly equally unpalatable.

You clearly have no idea how bad things can actually get once you go down the path of dictatorship. A f*** you to democracy is not a good thing. Study up a bit on your political history. Your terribly uniformed opinions are harmful even if they arent deliberately so

I always appreciate advice given in the right spirit.

I'm doing okay on historical context, thanks. To be truthful, your advice to 'study up' is the same level of silliness as the suggestion that pro-Palestinian protesters don't have an understanding of the Middle East and its history.

For Hillary, anyone who doesn't back Israel's right to 'self-defence' is ignorant.

You say it's 'garbage' that Harris and Trump are 'roughly equally unpalatable'. I say to you that it is in the eye of the beholder, and many people look at Harris and don't like what they see.

Free speech.

Kind the opposite of fascism.

I'd offer a second defence of a post which wasn't meant to be taken seriously, but that'd confirm my identity has an alt account of FK.

I'm not sure what to say. Your assumption that I'm not a Black-American man from PA with two doting sisters and a close relationship to his mother is quite offensive.

It's not about whether or not you 'know' the people you're speaking to: it's about how you reach/turn them.

The implicit criticism in Obama's statement seems counterproductive.
Please, tell Obama, how to reach black american men.

1728615266385.png

I've hardly posted at all in this thread. Still coming to terms with the 'dynamics'.
Stick around m8. The regulars scarcely tolerate any opinion other than "orange man bad" (or the sharing of a tweet stating same) but it's still a fun old time... on Wednesdays there's free cake.

Please, tell Obama, how to reach black american men.

View attachment 2138108

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think Obama won their vote back then by telling them to stop being misogynist.

I feel reasonably sure that you can delineate one set of circumstances from the other.

In a context when support is wavering or going the other way, the messaging to win a vote should probably pay serious attention to tone.

I'm not arguing that Obama's comments will be calamitous; I just think they're a bit ill-advised.

Remove this Banner Ad

USA 2024 US Presidential Election: Trump vs Harris (pt II)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back