2nds 2024 VFL thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Would dev be getting a game at the Eagles? I don’t think so

I have a sad feeling he is going to be remembered as the guy who played without a shirt.

I have a sad feeling he is going to be remembered as the guy who played without a shirt.

I just don’t know what his standout and consistent traits are.

Went out and watched again today, without knowing the stats or reading anything on here I thought Harry Sharp and James Tunstill were very good, Jarryd Lyons good, James Madden and Luke Beecken did some good things as well.

Will McLachlan has lightning pace and some tricks about him, we were only 10 meters away when he kicked that miracle banana goal late in the last.

Shadeau Brain was great in the air but really butchered the ball a bit today, maybe trying to impress too much.

Very ordinary affair.

Certainly not one to remember.

Was like a Big Brothers vs Little Brothers game ........ Big Bros can score when required and therefore don't need to be as forceful or diligent in defence as a result (i.e. don't hurt Little Bros, and no need to strain yourself picking anyone up when without the ball).

That being said, there was more confirmation that, our recruiters did a good job in the mid-season draft, and Lloyd & Torrent coming along nicely. And a successful return to the paddock for Carter Michael.

The worry is ZZ.
Looking nothing like the promising player he projected to be pre-draft. His kicking was always going to be his main area of development/concern (maybe he should consult with Answerth, and the work he has put in to improve his kicking).
But it seems more than that ...... maybe his interrupted pre-season has put him back a long way. Hope this is the case, because he sometimes looks lacking in self confidence, even disinterested. Could be wrong, but I have seen this before in guys feeling homesick/not wanting to be here.

Was like a Big Brothers vs Little Brothers game ........ Big Bros can score when required and therefore don't need to be as forceful or diligent in defence as a result (i.e. don't hurt Little Bros, and no need to strain yourself picking anyone up when without the ball).

That being said, there was more confirmation that, our recruiters did a good job in the mid-season draft, and Lloyd & Torrent coming along nicely. And a successful return to the paddock for Carter Michael.

The worry is ZZ.
Looking nothing like the promising player he projected to be pre-draft. His kicking was always going to be his main area of development/concern (maybe he should consult with Answerth, and the work he has put in to improve his kicking).
But it seems more than that ...... maybe his interrupted pre-season has put him back a long way. Hope this is the case, because he sometimes looks lacking in self confidence, even disinterested. Could be wrong, but I have seen this before in guys feeling homesick/not wanting to be here.

ZZ was pretty much the only key defender we had playing right? I’d give him time to learn off our more experienced guys when they’re healthy and to get a couple preseasons in him as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The worry is ZZ.
He was recruited as a project player with an excellent athletic profile. He has a 2 year contract initially and the club has to see enough improvement over that time to keep him on our list as a future AFL standard player. We just need to be patient and see what he can do over the next 1.5 years

Maybe Keays/tom Berry defensive half forward/mid. But no spot for him in our team at the moment
I totally agree with you as his kicking is not up to standard for a midfielder. Unfortunately Bailey and Lohmann have his spot in the 1sts. Baileys form has been below standard this year after a fabulous grand final and I reckon he could be easily replaced by Robertson without impacting the team in any way.

The worry is ZZ.
I was hoping we’d take that Tassie lad; Shoenmakers who the Saints took after ours and I must admit I was pretty impressed with him in his debut game against us and think he’ll be a much better player than ZZ at this stage. Not sure what the recruiters saw in ZZ over Shoenmakers (perhaps they never considered him anyway) but they nailed Morris.

I’m sure if Freo or West Coast wanted ZZ they’d have taken him so he may just need to make do with where he’s at if he ain’t happy as some later posts kinda alluded to.

I totally agree with you as his kicking is not up to standard for a midfielder. Unfortunately Bailey and Lohmann have his spot in the 1sts. Baileys form has been below standard this year after a fabulous grand final and I reckon he could be easily replaced by Robertson without impacting the team in any way.
If anyone is replacing Bailey it should be Sharp.

Don't take my ZZ post the wrong way, I'm hoping I'm wrong ............... I'm all for the kid (and I wanted us to take him in the Draft).
I'm aware he has next year as well to earn a new contract, and I hope he does. I just "fear" for him if he doesn't come on from where he is at (including a big improvement in his disposal efficiency).

Don't take my ZZ post the wrong way, I'm hoping I'm wrong ............... I'm all for the kid (and I wanted us to take him in the Draft).
I'm aware he has next year as well to earn a new contract, and I hope he does. I just "fear" for him if he doesn't come on from where he is at (including a big improvement in his disposal efficiency).

Very reminiscent of Andrews' beginning. Raw, green athletic tall. We know how that ended.
Zac shows promise. He had a bellow par game yesterday. It happens, he is young, he will learn. It would have been very fortunate if he was ready, as there is a spot for the taking at the moment, but he is not. Patience is required. I have faith in our development.

think zakostelsky will get another 2 years (potentially more) no matter what. bit of a late convert to full time afl from my understanding and will be a WIP for at least 3~ years before we can likely make a call on whether he will be much chop or not. bit similar to payne in that hes far more of an athlete than a footballer coming into the system.

think zakostelsky will get another 2 years (potentially more) no matter what. bit of a late convert to full time afl from my understanding and will be a WIP for at least 3~ years before we can likely make a call on whether he will be much chop or not. bit similar to payne in that hes far more of an athlete than a footballer coming into the system.

Sounds like he only fully committed to trying to make the AFL around 3 years ago so he's coming from a way back.

And we know future long term key backs was absolutely a hole in our list. Exactly the sort of late pick we needed to make and then give time to develop

Remove this Banner Ad

Back