List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Not really. He strikes me as more of a Ginbey type, likely to develop inside. His game is about power, not skills or outside run.

Seems to be in the 8-20 range at the moment.

Little bit earlier, probably 5-10 currently. Picking him would be a best available selection, but I don’t think he offers anything we don’t have already. He’d be competing with Johnson for a spot, and I’d still be backing Erasmus to become a player too.

I like Xavier Lindsay who’d be in the mix for a later first round pick. He’s got speed and skill on the outside, shown good signs when played inside too. I think he’d be a good fit and a point of difference.
Is Moraes going to be in our range (assume Port suck) and does he suit? Seems like an outside type + goal kicker.

Not really. He strikes me as more of a Ginbey type, likely to develop inside. His game is about power, not skills or outside run.

Seems to be in the 8-20 range at the moment.

Little bit earlier, probably 5-10 currently. Picking him would be a best available selection, but I don’t think he offers anything we don’t have already. He’d be competing with Johnson for a spot, and I’d still be backing Erasmus to become a player too.

I like Xavier Lindsay who’d be in the mix for a later first round pick. He’s got speed and skill on the outside, shown good signs when played inside too. I think he’d be a good fit and a point of difference.

So he is being played out of position for Peel?

So he is being played out of position for Peel?

Not in the league side. He’s a young player, that’s where the spot is. And he’s shown he’s good at it.

But if he gets drafted top 15, it’s not because he played half back for Peel. It’s because he proved himself in the midfield for WA. Which is where he’ll no doubt play for Peel Colts if he goes back there.

Same as how Ginbey played half back at WAFL level, played mid at the U18 Champs and then put himself into the top 10 mix.

Not in the league side. He’s a young player, that’s where the spot is. And he’s shown he’s good at it.

But if he gets drafted top 15, it’s not because he played half back for Peel. It’s because he proved himself in the midfield for WA. Which is where he’ll no doubt play for Peel Colts if he goes back there.

Same as how Ginbey played half back at WAFL level, played mid at the U18 Champs and then put himself into the top 10 mix.

Yep fair point.

I'm not sure why you are objective to picking up Berry or Kako if they are available at our last 1st round pick considering their talent and how it fills a need. Instead you'd rather take a bigger risk on a few small forwards from SA when we gave already done that with Delean. Sounds like history repeating itself. If Walls believes Berry can be a long term small for Freo then I'd rather them take Berry with an earlier pick.

Yep fair point.

I'm not sure why you are objective to picking up Berry or Kako if they are available at our last 1st round pick considering their talent and how it fills a need. Instead you'd rather take a bigger risk on a few small forwards from SA when we gave already done that with Delean. Sounds like history repeating itself. If Walls believes Berry can be a long term small for Freo then I'd rather them take Berry with an earlier pick.

I’m more against drafting both of them which some have suggested. If we view small forward as such a weakness that it needs multiple picks (and I’ve spent the last 10 years saying we need to draft the position) then I’d go one early and then look at the position again later on.

And as good as the likes of Pickett and Weightman are as early picks, they’re not consistently performing any better than say Moore, Curtis and Owies. I mention the other names to say there are options, not just Berry and Kako - especially for when we inevitably trade our picks.

I’m more against drafting both of them which some have suggested. If we view small forward as such a weakness that it needs multiple picks (and I’ve spent the last 10 years saying we need to draft the position) then I’d go one early and then look at the position again later on.

And as good as the likes of Pickett and Weightman are as early picks, they’re not consistently performing any better than say Moore, Curtis and Owies. I mention the other names to say there are options, not just Berry and Kako - especially for when we inevitably trade our picks.

Yep

I'm not suggesting both. I'd want whoever is best.

Gerreyn answered a couple of questions people had been asking in a confident display by the big man. He launched at contested marks all game and managed to clunk a couple of strong ones, and he dominated in his backup ruck stints against Country's secondary rucks. Overall, he continued to show the combination of size and skills that has draft watchers intrigued.

Davis has been a consistent performer for WA across their four champs games and signed off with probably his best, booting three goals in a valiant effort against Vic Country. He was increasingly dangerous as the contest wore on, showcasing his versatile skill set and athletic profile, able to impact in the air and on the ground.

I really like Murphy Reid who's jumped up rankings recently. He has great skills, speed and would be ideal as a player who could start fosward/wing
and then develop into an onballer later on. What do you think of him Chris25?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

noobermensch, One of the suggestions has been that we could target a HBF in this draft, with a focus on run and disposal skills.

It could lead to a move of Chapman to the midfield, or perhaps as a Ryan replacement somewhere down the line.

Is it an area of strength in this draft?

Do you have any suggestions for prospects that fit that kind of profile for us?

noobermensch, One of the suggestions has been that we could target a HBF in this draft, with a focus on run and disposal skills.

It could lead to a move of Chapman to the midfield, or perhaps as a Ryan replacement somewhere down the line.

Is it an area of strength in this draft?

Do you have any suggestions for prospects that fit that kind of profile for us?
I wouldnt say its an area of strength necessarily but there are a few likely to be available at different points. The earliest taken will probably be Tobie Travaglia:

You're probably looking at mid to late first round for Tobie which might fall near your first round picks.

A more second round type, or late first at the highest is Harry Oliver:

And then you have some deeper targets in Kade Herbert and Lachie Jaques:

And of course there are always guys drafted as midfielders that end up playing half back at AFL level.

Gerreyn answered a couple of questions people had been asking in a confident display by the big man. He launched at contested marks all game and managed to clunk a couple of strong ones, and he dominated in his backup ruck stints against Country's secondary rucks. Overall, he continued to show the combination of size and skills that has draft watchers intrigued.

He’s not big enough to ruck I don’t think, but there a bit of the Texan about him

Optimistic question. If we do end up with two top 10 picks from the Pies and Port deal, and Warner is a year away, what's the chances of dealing with Richmond / West Coast to get their top 3 Pick (assuming no compensation)? Can never have too much top end talent

Optimistic question. If we do end up with two top 10 picks from the Pies and Port deal, and Warner is a year away, what's the chances of dealing with Richmond / West Coast to get their top 3 Pick (assuming no compensation)? Can never have too much top end talent

Who are you targetting with that pick?

Unless there is someone we want then there is no point.

I want Kako and he should be there at pick 9

Again no chance
i think it would take all 3 first rounders for Sydney to consider trading Warner this year. Or perhaps the highest 2 and a future first. I'd still do a trade if it involved 3 first rounders and the Saints second round pick. Look at what our team would look like with Warner in it. We could also rotate Warner, Young and Serong forward to improve our forward line like Sydney does with Heeney and Warner.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back