List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

i think it would take all 3 first rounders for Sydney to consider trading Warner this year. Or perhaps the highest 2 and a future first. I'd still do a trade if it involved 3 first rounders and the Saints second round pick. Look at what our team would look like with Warner in it. We could also rotate Warner, Young and Serong forward to improve our forward line like Sydney does with Heeney and Warner.
3 firsts and an early second is madness.

For a trade to happen in reality rather than theory. No. I don't think Warner is coming this year. In my opinion he could very well be leading the Brownlow at the moment. He's kicked 24 goals so averaging about the same in goals per game to Jye Amiss.
He's also still clearly the third best mid in that team. I think Warner values are a little out of hand. If Port and Pies miss the 8 you take the two top 10s and ask Sydney if they're interested since we won't be able to match that next year.

If they say no, fair enough, we move on. If Warner leaving is as sure a thing as it seems to be, they really should be doing what we've done though. Make the best of it and turn it into another player.

For a trade to happen in reality rather than theory. No. I don't think Warner is coming this year. In my opinion he could very well be leading the Brownlow at the moment. He's kicked 24 goals so averaging about the same in goals per game to Jye Amiss.
I don’t either. All reports are we will look to set ourselves up for next year.

Likely retain at least two decent picks for 2024 ND (which could be an early first and early second). Trading 1-2 later firsts or one first and one second into 2025. Consider last trade period and our trade with Port. It’s looking likely that Saints pick will be decent.

Trade Saints 2024 2nd and F2 for F1.
Trade Ports 2024 1st for F1.

Keep two 2024 firsts and a later pick for 2024.

Resulting in 3 firsts in 2025.

Worner being out of contract makes for an improved trade negotiation stand point. We will still be coughing up but Sydney can’t sit there and hold up the hand saying no deal.

He's also still clearly the third best mid in that team. I think Warner values are a little out of hand. If Port and Pies miss the 8 you take the two top 10s and ask Sydney if they're interested since we won't be able to match that next year.

If they say no, fair enough, we move on. If Warner leaving is as sure a thing as it seems to be, they really should be doing what we've done though. Make the best of it and turn it into another player.
You make valid points. I feel Sydney are in the window. They have past evidence of holding players to contract and retaining Warner in 2025 gives them best shot at progressing deep into the finals.

He is the best goalkicking mid who rests forward in the comp. On current form 3rd best mid in his team makes him the 4th best mid in the comp because he's so damaging with ball in hand. Like I said Im talking about what I think would have to happen to get him when contracted. Next year his trade value would be less even if he has another terrific year but we would struggle to be able to gain those trade assets. I think most here underestimate his trade value to be honest.

He is the best goalkicking mid who rests forward in the comp. On current form 3rd best mid in his team makes him the 4th best mid in the comp because he's so damaging with ball in hand. Like I said Im talking about what I think would have to happen to get him when contracted. Next year his trade value would be less even if he has another terrific year but we would struggle to be able to gain those trade assets. I think most here underestimate his trade value to be honest.
Swans do not have 3 of the 4 best mids in the comp. That will come back to Earth over the rest of the season. Two top 10 picks straight up is as big as any trade. That's perfectly fine "overs" and that ball is in Sydney's court. You might be right that it's not enough for this year but that ball can be in Sydney's court.

Warner is incredible but I think his form playing in the best side in the comp is clouding a few things. His field kicking is borderline poor, he's not perfect and I'd want a pretty perfect player for more than two top 10s.

I think I just rate top 10s as very close to sure things provided you can draft and develop.

If Chad Warner ends the season (including finals) with 40 goals and a key role in a premiership team his trade value would be one of the highest in recent memory. He's on track for that kind of year.

If we end up with 2 top 10s id rather us just take them and go for Warner next year. Cant have enough top end talent.
You can, see GWS and GCS. The blokes not getting games just get poached for way less.

I think we can take one as long as they have decent scope for games. We take 2 or 3 and good chance 1 or 2 don't get opportunities and leave.

You can, see GWS and GCS. The blokes not getting games just get poached for way less.

I think we can take one as long as they have decent scope for games. We take 2 or 3 and good chance 1 or 2 don't get opportunities and leave.
I mean we will likely lose Erasmus due to this. I do see your point. Id be ok if we took the 2 top 10s and traded the later one into next year. All this rides on the demise of port and coll ofcourse 😅

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't help but shake the fact that this whole Chad situation gives me serious Dezzy vibes...

I get what your saying but Des was playing with what you could easily say was the best ever midfield.
The chad ain't, the Sydney midfield is good but it ain't even close to that brissie midfield and if I was comparing he might be the akkermanis not the headland.

Firmly on team draft the two highest picks this year, roll the third into next year for deathrides sake and have us with two firsts (one late, one mystery) and a future late first for Sydney in '25, take it or leave it.

We'll be fine without the Chad, we just won't be the Kevin Durant Warriors.

Firmly on team draft the two highest picks this year, roll the third into next year for deathrides sake and have us with two firsts (one late, one mystery) and a future late first for Sydney in '25, take it or leave it.

We'll be fine without the Chad, we just won't be the Kevin Durant Warriors.
There's just too big a diminishing returns on high draft picks for where our list is at. One at most, I'll be staggered if take both to the draft tbh

We haven't drafted a first rounder since Ras in 2021, is this not an age gap of high level talent forming in our list? What am I missing?
It's very hard to give these game time with how settled and young the list is. With no top 10 WA talent, it's even harder to keep them

Remove this Banner Ad

Back