List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

We haven't drafted a first rounder since Ras in 2021, is this not an age gap of high level talent forming in our list? What am I missing?
It’s mainly due to our young list profile. Now I will say that we still have gaps in the team, but if we bring in 2 first rounders in the draft they will expect to be playing senior footy pretty quickly. We don’t want three Neil Erasmus types racking it up at peel that we will eventually give to someone else on the cheap for a second round pick.
However this board does get into a slight overrating of our list mode in the week after a big win like last week at Sydney.

Recency bias means we all look back on last Saturday and think “well, who would I drop out of this side? They are all going to be guns, every single one of the 23!”

That’s obviously not going to happen. For me we have specific talent gaps for crumbing small forwards, a half back flanker with elite foot skills and another burst midfielder with elite speed.

The more players you can get into this 22 that can be trusted and relied on not to shit themselves on prelim and grand final day in future, the higher chance we have of winning a flag. We have several already, but there’s quite a few there still that I don’t trust just yet. That’s the ultimate end goal, obviously to win that maiden flag.

You can, see GWS and GCS. The blokes not getting games just get poached for way less.

I think we can take one as long as they have decent scope for games. We take 2 or 3 and good chance 1 or 2 don't get opportunities and leave.

Kako and Berry would be pushing for best 22 pretty quickly I think. (Walters is still playing for us when his form does not warrant it)

Banfield or OMeara would get pushed out by a quality outside mid.

I think a good half back would be able to push for a spot.

I don't think our bottom 3 or 4 players are so good, that a good young player could not push them out of the 22.

But if they're good enough to force someone out of the 22, isn't that the point? We want selection pressure, not just injury cover?

Kako and Berry would be pushing for best 22 pretty quickly I think. (Walters is still playing for us when his form does not warrant it)

Banfield or OMeara would get pushed out by a quality outside mid.

I think a good half back would be able to push for a spot.

I don't think our bottom 3 or 4 players are so good, that a good young player could not push them out of the 22.

I'm not debating that a first rounder can't be best 22 early on, I am debating that the odds of 2 or 3 being b22 early on is low.

I'm not debating that a first rounder can't be best 22 early on, I am debating that the odds of 2 or 3 being b22 early on is low.
I agree the chance they will improve our team in the short term is low, but the more swings we have increases that likelihood, doesnt it?

It's not even about them being more talented then our role players, there is pre season required to get the body to AFL standard and unless an absolute gun, to know the role. With no freebies anymore, it is very hard for them to push out even role players, slowing development more, increasing the risk of busting.

Trading for a gun increases depth (someone is pushed out) and increases the ceiling. It's a no trainer if the cap allows it

I agree the chance they will improve our team in the short term is low, but the more swings we have increases that likelihood, doesnt it?
It does in the short term, but if you're trading them forward then you eventually take the same number of picks at the top end. They are just spread out.

It's not even about them being more talented then our role players, there is pre season required to get the body to AFL standard and unless an absolute gun, to know the role. With no freebies anymore, it is very hard for them to push out even role players, slowing development more, increasing the risk of busting.

Trading for a gun increases depth (someone is pushed out) and increases the ceiling. It's a no trainer if the cap allows it

For whatever reason, not sure it matters exactly why.

We definitely need to start drafting with our 1st pick at some point to refresh the list over time, but the vast majority of our team is <27.
We have used 2nd round picks the past couple of years - Hugh Davies (2022), Cooper Simpson (2023) and Ollie Murphy (2023). Also looks like the Cat B rookie Josh Draper (2022) is handy. First round pick Neil Erasmus (2021) is only 4 weeks off being the same draft class as 2022.

In my opinion we definitely should use a first round pick in 2024 but we haven’t gone Completely off the draft grid like West Coast and Port have in some years.

Quite a few role players have been pushed out:
Worner, Wagner, Hughes and Brodie still on the list but fall into that category (not certain what the definition of role players is, but I will go for a player on a list who is not best 22, either in the present or future, but who is ready to play).

Hamling and Logue.

I really like Murphy Reid who's jumped up rankings recently. He has great skills, speed and would be ideal as a player who could start fosward/wing
and then develop into an onballer later on.
What do you think of him Chris25?

Reid is one who looks to have climbed into that 5-15 range. There’s a bit of Warner to his game, I think he’ll end up being that forward running midfielder.

Of the early midfield prospects, I think he’d suit us better than some others.

noobermensch, One of the suggestions has been that we could target a HBF in this draft, with a focus on run and disposal skills.

It could lead to a move of Chapman to the midfield, or perhaps as a Ryan replacement somewhere down the line.

Is it an area of strength in this draft?

Do you have any suggestions for prospects that fit that kind of profile for us?

I wouldn’t hesitate to use a first rounder on Travaglia.

Also think Xavier Lindsay is being underrated. He should be well in the first round mix. Playing more midfield this year with excellent skills, some teams will like him off half back and I reckon it’s where we’d start him.

And I just don’t understand why Angus Clarke isn’t being spoken about more on here - although I don’t think the same could be said about in recruiting circles. Country SA boy who was injured preseason. Super kick, good intercept marker and started to show off his speed more as the Champs went on. He’s a top 20 prospect for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But if you need 2-3 first round picks in order to get an increased likelihood to find a player that will work their way into the 22 - why not just use those same 2-3 picks in a trade for a youngish player (Warner) that will 100% be in our top 5 players instantly. Removes all the guesswork and speculation.

He's also still clearly the third best mid in that team. I think Warner values are a little out of hand. If Port and Pies miss the 8 you take the two top 10s and ask Sydney if they're interested since we won't be able to match that next year.

If they say no, fair enough, we move on. If Warner leaving is as sure a thing as it seems to be, they really should be doing what we've done though. Make the best of it and turn it into another player.

Sydney will severely undervalue draft picks, because they get half their top players via the academy. It’s fortunate the afl is changing the rules. It will take a year or two before Sydney realize the gravy train has stopped.

In saying that Chad Warner is worth two top 10 picks. Hopefully Sydney read the tea leaves, win the premiership and are in a favourable mood.

Playing senior WAFL post Champs for Peel, Allan acquitted himself well in his old third tall & rebounding defender role. The most impressive aspect of his performance has to be his ferocious tackling display, registering 12 on the official stats sheet along side many other pressure acts. On a day where the Peel defenders were often content to chip the ball sideways to each other, Allan had a couple of passages of play where he took the game on with dash and dare to break the lines and creating scoring opportunities.

Bo Allan - looks ready made for Freo, plays seemlessly at Peel…
get him at half back for two years then push him into the guts and rotate through there.

Kayle Gerreyn - keep his arse half the size of Rocky and he will stay mobile - future big man-
Really like this fella.

Trade in the small forward- Kako will be gone with what we use on Warner or Bolton.

We are is set - yeeewww

Bo Allan - looks ready made for Freo, plays seamlessly at Peel…
get him at half back for two years then push him into the guts and rotate through there.

Kayle Gerreyn - keep his arse half the size of Rocky and he will stay mobile - future big man-
Really like this fella.

Trade in the small forward- Kako will be gone with what we use on Warner or Bolton.

We are is set - yeeewww

I still struggle a bit with where to place Bo Allan; I like him as a player and he has had his moments but his kicking is really not that crash hot, he is not a speedster but a 190cm smart crash and bash type player with a good intercept mark who may be able to bring that to the middle of the ground one day. Should we pay a first round for that? As a backman is he better than Brandon Walker or Wagner in the backline (ignoring Clark and Chapman because those two are much better players IMO)? Does he offer a Luke Ryan level of utility backman?

And then in the middle, does he have the nous of a Johnson, Simpson or even an Erasmus? Can he develop that?

A ding dong battle between the two best ruckman in the WAFL Colts this season elevated both their games as they strove to assert center square dominance. Although Smiths team won the game, Gerreyn probably just shaded the matchup with his ability to find more of the football on the spread and damage with his lovely skills. He was also able to hit the scoreboard and though he won fewer hit outs, some of those he did win were lovely touch deflections right down the throat of his midfielders to release attacking moves. Smith was able to use his greater length to give his midfielders first use more often, and was able to use his size around the ground to effect aerial contests.

From the limited vision I've seen, looks similar to Noddy, has distance, not exactly elite pin point passes though
Yeah I agree. Allan just needs to be given the same coaching instructions as we gave Sharp. Kick long at every opportunity. He's a good long kick in my opinion but his short kickig isnt great from the limited vision Ive seen.

Bo Allan - looks ready made for Freo, plays seemlessly at Peel…

Really like this fella.

We are is set - yeeewww
Do you have any eyes on Champion?

After having performed 'extensive research' (a few 5 min vids) into the top 20-25 touted draftees of 2025 I am happy to share my findings with the good posties of the Freo board.

Note that the scope of this report is defined by those players which are not linked to another club, and are also not tall.

Jagga Smith 181cm MID
Smith is an inside midfielder that relies on cleanliness, evasion, pace and quick hands to ply his trade as an inside midfielder. I believe he should model his game on Nick Daicos, and try to use his evasion and quick mind to create space to utilise his skills by foot and hand. Due to his skillset, Smith should be equally at home as first receiver in the middle or running up and down the wings all day. He has not shown a nous for goal kicking or a particularly strong defensive mindset as far as I can see. Not sure he is a great fit for Freo given our list needs.

Strengths
Balance
Low centre of gravity
Movement in traffic
Evasion
Quick hands
Footy IQ
Change of direction
Speed
Finds space in congestion
Accumulator
Skills
Hits the ball at speed
Reading taps
Agility
Decision making
Vision

Weaknesses
Kick to handball ratio
Scoreboard impact
Low tackle count
Height/size
Low metres gained
Defensive game?

Christian Moraes 183cm FWD/MID
Moraes' defining trait is his ability to have a scoreboard impact from the midfield. He has kicked 10 goals from 7 games so far in the Coates Talent League as well as 3 goals from 3 appearances so far in the u18 champs. I believe Moraes would be most at home as a general forward who can run through the middle or wing on an AFL list. He also has all the tools to make a good rebounding defender. I do not rate Moraes as highly as some, though his impact on the scoreboard is clear to see.

Strengths
Attacking mindset
Scoreboard impact
Decent mark
Versatility
Tackling

Weaknesses
Inconsistent Kicking
Defensive qualities?
Height/size

Xavier Lindsay 183cm MID/DEF
Lindsay has great skills, vision and is a one touch player. Would happily plug him into the half back flank or wing for Freo. Projects as an attacking defender with midfield potential to me, though I did not see much defending in the footage I saw. Lindsay appears to have very few weaknesses to his game and I rate him much higher than most.

Strengths
Football IQ
Skills
Pressure
Tackling
Vision
Decision making
Groundwork
One touch
Pace
Finds space in congestion
Long kick
Versatility
Decent mark

Weaknesses
Goal Scoring
Height/size
Can he defend?

Taj Hotton 182cm FWD/MID
Hotton may slide on draft night as a result of injuring his ACL this year. Prior to his injury Hotton was well regarded for his ability to go forward from the midfield and have an impact. This is highlighted by his four goal game for the Sandringham Dragons in round 2 of the Coates Talent League. Given his strong marking for his size, Hotton projects as a general forward at afl level who is able to run through the middle at times. Similar to Christian Moraes in a number of ways, perhaps leaning more towards the FWD component of the MID/FWD archetype. I don't see why Hotton couldn't find a home off the half back should he not make it as a forward.

Strengths
Decent mark
Uses his left foot (though not well)
Scoreboard impact
Versatility
Genuine forward craft

Weaknesses
Lacks penetration by foot
High ball drop
ACL injury
Looks slow in congestion
Low tackle count
Height/size

Sid Draper 180cm MID
Draper is a well rounded inside midfielder that uses pace and evasion to get out of congestion. The only knock I can place on his game is that he does not put up 25+ disposal games with any regularity, often falling around the 20-25 mark. It is difficult to see a genuine inside midfielder like Draper having a huge impact on games without either hitting the scoreboard or racking up higher possession tallies. Reminds me a bit of Cooper Simpson actually.

Strengths
Evasion
Agility
Speed
Clean hands
Acceleration
Hits the ball at speed
Leadership
Pedigree
Consistency
Two way runner

Weaknesses
Height/size
Production
Scoreboard impact
Room for improvement?

Part 1 to be continued......

Last edited:

List Mgmt. 2024 Young Talent Time (Drafting)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back