Remove this Banner Ad

Cbf doing ladder so I’ll just do the most important things

GF: Freo (P) v Pies

Spoon: Richmond

Geelong: 5th then out in Prelim

GC: Make finals for first time then out in EF

Lions: Premiership hangover 4th then out in straight sets

Post-trade period

1. Brisbane Lions - shouldn't fearful of life without Joe given they have an entire pre-season to prepare. Effectively add Doedee, Coleman, McCarthy and Levi Ashcroft to a premiership team. Too stacked to not contend again.
2. Fremantle - hinging heavily on Pearce and Darcy playing bulk footy. Bolton can elevate both midfield and forward lines significantly on top of linear progression that can be expected of so having so many players around the 100-150 game mark.
3. Collingwood - a clear weakness in the second key position aside, Collingwood has a list rivalling its 2023 list in ability. Have added two-prime aged players, most notably Houston who is instantly the club's second best player and can generate scores from the back half, where Collingwood majorly dropped off in 2024.
4. Hawthorn - more than addressed their position of need, and can bank on the continuing development of so many under-25 players, it's very hard to see them going anywhere.
5. GWS Giants - going back into '25 with a very good team, although I am slightly concerned at their inability to add depth despite losing three players. Can the Stringer addition unlock Greene back into midfield? I'd hope so as I'm not sure Coniglio can lead the midfield to a premiership anymore. Should have traded for Shiel too.
6. Geelong - adding Oliver would have made them a very short-priced top four choice. Smith should be a fine addition to an already very versatile midfield. Top four again should shock nobody.
7. Carlton - can expect a better run with injuries. Didn't do enough to add reinforcements, having shed midfield and forward depth and only adding Haynes. Should feel optimistic about a forward line including Kemp, Williams and Motlop with a pre-season.
8. Gold Coast - the club has no excuses. This is the side that should play the club's first final. They've added speed in abundance in the back half, and get another season of chemistry into their high-prised midfield.

9. Sydney Swans - the GF belting curse hasn't been shaken for 29 years, and after picking up precisely zero additions to a squad that doesn't have the key defenders and probably doesn't have the tall forwards to salute in September, I think a really poor season can come from Sydney, much like 2023.
10. St Kilda - I still think they're on the right path, but it's hard to squeeze them in. Midfield still isn't quite there, and needs more time for Philippou, Wilson, Windhager and their two top 10 picks to get going.
11. Western Bulldogs - this continuously underachieving list walked away with nothing to show for again in 2024, despite in my belief, a lot of things falling their way - such as Treloar and Jones having career years at their later ages, Rory Lobb soaring from the clouds to plug a hole at CHB, and Ed Richards having us forget they had Smith on the sideline all year. If this side truly was capable of delivering more, they would have done it this year.
12. Port Adelaide - two extremely underwhelming off-seasons worth of trade-ins must surely come back to bite at some stage. Only one double-up of Port's this year played finals and it was 8th place. Their ladder position was flattering and the gap left by Houston is very tough to fill.
13. Adelaide - happy to be proven wrong and see them fly up. Their acquisitions are all good, none of them great. I think they'll be in the hunt, but 14th place went 11-12 this year. A similar record might see Adelaide finishing around that way. Was a Nicks fan but he's not the bloke to take this list to the next step.
14. Essendon - hard to get excited about their short-term prospects. I think they'll trade back into the draft on the night using Melbourne's F1 and take a good kid and Kako, but they don't have the immediate upside on their list to get back into finals.
15. Melbourne - seems a club completely shot of morale and hope. Could get a great run with injury and savour the backs against the wall mentality and finish higher, but am much much confident in another bottom 5 finish.
16. North Melbourne - still a long way to go, but they've made handy acquisitions that can help them up to 6-7 wins and 80-85%
17. West Coast - like North, they've found some players who give their all and help get this side more competitive again/ They've also still got a long way to go.
18. Richmond - pretty self explanatory

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane
GWS
Carlton
Collingwood

Hawthorn
Sydney
Geelong
Freemantle

Bulldogs
Adelaide