21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

We better finally get a ruck, just in case someone else takes him as he could also rotate forward and across 2004/2005 played a lot up there.

Westside Pavlovas select Michael Gardiner.

His legacy likely suffers because of the generational ruck Cox that emerged and took over in the same team. However Gardiner was still an All Australian ruck prior to that, had multiple seasons as a ruck/forward where he went at 1.3 goals a game and was a towering presence who took 5 marks per game over his career. Was very useful at St Kilda in the twilight of his career too.

We better finally get a ruck, just in case someone else takes him as he could also rotate forward and across 2004/2005 played a lot up there.

Westside Pavlovas select Michael Gardiner.

His legacy likely suffers because of the generational ruck Cox that emerged and took over in the same team. However Gardiner was still an All Australian ruck prior to that, had multiple seasons as a ruck/forward where he went at 1.3 goals a game and was a towering presence who took 5 marks per game over his career. Was very useful at St Kilda in the twilight of his career too.

True, but there is a slight caveat to one of those seasons

1722925251864.png

as yes he did average 1.3 goals in that season, but he only played 3 games.

Also I am being a bit of a dick, he was a good player.

Fremantle Dockers select with #356 Tanner Bruhn

We needed a young player to round out our team to provide the growth necessary over the next 10 years. We chose Tanner for his ability to find the ball, and weave his magic in front of goals. An exciting mid/forward who has gained a lot of respect from Chris Scott by being given full midfield responsibilities.

A clone of Fly McRae we see huge potential in Tanner and believe he will be the next big thing in the AFL in 2025.

True, but there is a slight caveat to one of those seasons

View attachment 2070504

as yes he did average 1.3 goals in that season, but he only played 3 games.

Also I am being a bit of a dick, he was a good player.
Fair enough, but we have no evidence to say he wouldn't have maintained that average given he backed it up over the entire 2005 season. ;) Hence we combine the 2004/2005 games and we are happy with our findings.

And yes you and Purple have been oddly dickish about my team at times - it's been good fun!

Fair enough, but we have no evidence to say he wouldn't have maintained that average given he backed it up over the entire 2005 season. ;) Hence we combine the 2004/2005 games and we are happy with our findings.

And yes you and Purple have been oddly dickish about my team at times - it's been good fun!
This is why I want to put it in the main forum on Google Forms so there's no bias.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't on my radar but mostly because I only have 1 player left to draft and I am not really in need of another half back.
Bruhn's been playing Center and when he was at GWS was a bit more up forward.

Ah, well that shows how much attention I have been paying to him. I thought he played off half back

That's not too bad a return this season 19 disposals nearly 4 tackles a game (can play forward) although Scott's got him in the MF which I think is really smart giving game time to a young kid over older players like Adelaide is doing RN. He's on about 5 clearances a game this season, good contested ball winner.
1722926055170.png

Sydney Select Brayden Maynard

To play in the Back Pocket and to flatten players if necessary

That's not too bad a return this season 19 disposals nearly 4 tackles a game (can play forward) although Scott's got him in the MF which I think is really smart giving game time to a young kid over older players like Adelaide is doing RN. He's on about 5 clearances a game this season, good contested ball winner.
View attachment 2070523
Yeah Bruhn's only really had 32 games as a midfielder - the ones at Geelong. So it's very early days.

One thing to keep in mind is he is currently used as a burst player who gets just 60%-ish time on ground. In fact Scott manages most midfielders like that since 2022. Heavy rotations = less stats. It's unknown whether this will change as he develops and can maybe get the standard 80-85% midfield time that most players do.

Frustratingly Bruhn's had injury niggles interrupting him so far. Just as he breaks into some strong form he cops a knock and misses a couple of games, then struggles on his first one back. If he can get continuity he will develop really nicely. His ball use has already come on leaps and bounds compared to a year ago, and he is showing more signs of the contested bull he'll become. Already very strong for clearances and tackles, especially if you normalise it to game time. I'm hoping 2025 is his breakout year.

Jack Steven

I added a pivot table to the workbook.

Drafted ClubCOUNTA of Drafted Club
Oakleigh Chargers24
Geelong Falcons21
Sandringham Dragons16
Northern Knights15
Dandenong Stingrays15
Calder Cannons15
Port Adelaide14
Murray Bushrangers13
East Fremantle12
Bendigo Pioneers11
Swan Districts9
Western Jets8

Forgot to update my team. This is how we'd line up with the three tall forwards (likely it's Hogan who ends up in a Gunston type role and Schulz anchored closer to the goal square):

FB: T.Stewart J.Frawley J.Harbrow
HB: H.Lumumba J.Sicily N.Malceski

C: A.Embley S.Goodwin D.Hannebery
FOL: M.Gardiner J.Selwood L.Davies-Uniacke

HF: B.Harvey M.Pavlich B.Deledio
FF: J.Schulz J.Hogan C.Cameron

IC: T.Miller C.Wingard N.Vlastuin -

i am so excited to see what trent rivers can develop into as a midfielder in 2025 and beyond

he hasn't got the accolades that hayden young has had bestowed upon him, but i'm quietly confident that he's just as impactful a player with a full preseason as a mid under his belt

as a half back rebounder he's already a premiership player, and with the combo of strong half back / mid types in my side i'm confident he'll be a ripper for the :pear: coming off the pine in rotation role with hodge, lewis, simpson

Guardian Hawk , yr up

B: Neville Jetta - Steven May - Jake Lever
HB: Luke Hodge - Chris Tarrant - Kade Simpson
C: Daniel Wells - Sam Walsh - Peter Burgoyne
HF: Kane Lambert - Cameron Mooney - James McDonald
F: Justin Koszchitzke - Tom J Lynch - Aaron Davey
Foll: Todd Goldstein - Jordan Lewis - Jack Viney
I/c: Caleb Windsor - Jacob Van Rooyen - Trent Rivers

Remove this Banner Ad

21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back