21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Onto my spiel(s):

Pick 84: Brad Ottens

This one I was very nervous about, I didn't think he'd get through to me. I had a plan for my ruck combination and this guy is the best ruck/forward of the 21st century,and with Lingsface picking right after me I knew I had to take him here, similar to taking Hawkins first up.

Pick 87: Michael Hurley

This was one where I didn't think he'd last through the next two rounds. I had the best shut down key defender IMO, now I needed some offensive power at CHB, and Hurley is perfect for that, as well as being excellent at shutting down key forwards. Completes my excellent spine and I feel like I'm ahead of the game now.

Just woke up.

I went to sleep before 11:30pm Victorian time.

Sorry guys for the 9 hour hold up.

So far:

B: J. Crouch, H. Grundy, C. Cornes.
HB: H. Young, J. Lukosius, M. Wilson.
M: A. McLeod, N. Anderson, R. Crowley.
HF: M. Georgiades, Dan. Bradshaw, P. Chapman.
F: Z. Bailey, H. McKay, J. Porplyzia.
R: B. Grundy, S. Mitchell, T. Green.

IC:

Jackson Trengove.
S. King.
M. Johnson.
H. Ballantyne.

I'm needing a small forward this time with occasional midfield times.

Apologies to those who had PAUL CHAPMAN in their back pockets.

Guardian Hawk.

Good morning.

Last edited:
OK, so I'm in a bit of a bind...

About half of the drafters so far have sent me preference sheets at some stage and thus far, I have not selected any players from those preferences.

However, I have the next pick after RedmanWasHere and since Lenny (still sad) and Robbie (as back up) were already taken, I picked a new 1 and 2 last night. Problem is, I have received a preference sheet with the exact same 1 and 2 (for someone that picks after me).

Hmmmm....Unlike the AFL, I think the integrity of this draft is paramount (and I called out prior to the start that this conflict was a risk) so I think what I will do is select the "no 2 guy" instead and leave the No 1 guy to fall to this poster's pick.

I think that's the price to be paid for being host and the fairest way to do it do no one think there's a risk I'll take people's picks if they are sent through.

(Fingers crossed Redman doesn't pick either of those players and throw a spanner in the works)

About half of the drafters so far have sent me preference sheets at some stage and thus far, I have not selected any players from those preferences.

However, I have the next pick after RedmanWasHere and since Lenny (still sad) and Robbie (as back up) were already taken, I picked a new 1 and 2 last night. Problem is, I have received a preference sheet with the exact same 1 and 2 (for someone that picks after me).

Hmmmm....Unlike the AFL, I think the integrity of this draft is paramount (and I called out prior to the start that this conflict was a risk) so I think what I will do is select the "no 2 guy" instead and leave the No 1 guy to fall to this poster's pick.

I think that's the price to be paid for being host and the fairest way to do it do no one think there's a risk I'll take people's picks if they are sent through.

(Fingers crossed Redman doesn't pick either of those players and throw a spanner in the works)
I think as long as you advertise that those two are also on your list it's fine to take them.

Just woke up.

I went to sleep before 11:30pm Victorian time.

Sorry guys for the 9 hour hold up.

So far:

B: ?, ?, C. Cornes.
HB: ?, McLeod, ?
M: ?, ?,?
HF: ?, ?, ?
F: ?, Bradshaw, ?
R: Grundy, S. Mitchell, ?

IC:

? x4.

I'm needing a small forward this time with occasional midfield times.

Apologies to those who had PAUL CHAPMAN in their back pockets.

Guardian Hawk.

Good morning.

Fwoar..close call. Chappie was on both my list and the preference sheet I was referncing but not the 1 and 2 I was talking about (no 3 for me, only cos I took Greene last pick and now badly need a midfielder). Amazing how similarly we are rating the players at this stage of the draft. I thought there'd be a bit more divergence by now.

Bad luck, you pick who you pick.

However, maybe we need 2 options for the pick submissions, maybe you as the middle and someone at the end of the draft order

It's a tough one as you probably need to submit a few names if you are away a few hours

So I'm noticing the Hawks have a real "interstate" flavour at the moment with only 1 player based in Victoria so far...

but with Pick 94, I'm selecting another underrated player from a non-Vic club....Travis Boak.

3 time All australian, B&F winner in 2 other seasons, 21st all time for Brownlow votes, Boak has been a top level mid for a long time and is a welcome addition to my midfield. He's no Lenny, but he's the next best thing in terms of character, consistency and team first play.

Last edited:

I think as long as you were planning to take that player before Redman and it was not Redman's preferences that gave you the idea then it is fine.

I think as long as you advertise that those two are also on your list it's fine to take them.

Bad luck, you pick who you pick.

However, maybe we need 2 options for the pick submissions, maybe you as the middle and someone at the end of the draft order

It's a tough one as you probably need to submit a few names if you are away a few hours

Thanks guys. I think I feel more comfortable not taking someone's number 1 - but I do like the idea of having someone else receive the preferences if my pick is before the selection I am receiving the list for.

Is it just me or is anyone else's life put on hold for now due to this thread/game?
Song comp is even on the back burner. Just vote for the prime numbered songs.

just wish there werent huge delays between picks

Fwoar..close call. Chappie was on both my list and the preference sheet I was referncing but not the 1 and 2 I was talking about (no 3 for me, only cos I took Greene last pick and now badly need a midfielder). Amazing how similarly we are rating the players at this stage of the draft. I thought there'd be a bit more divergence by now.
I was VERY close to picking him too. I went for a bit more scoring power over a true forward//mid hybrid.
Chappy was a beast.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it just me or is anyone else's life put on hold for now due to this thread/game?
Absolutely. My productivity at work has dropped about 30% (which in my line of work I cannot afford to do so will have to find the hours somehow).

On a related note, I'm a bit disappointed in you Redman. When it worked out your pick was before mine (every other round) in this draft I thought "well that's ok" given your more unique choices (Coughlan, McEvoy, etc) in the other thread. Now in this one you have taken my man Sammy, Chappie and others I would have picked.

You're definitely adding to the time it takes to pick. Lift your game and start picking random players again please (Shadeau Brain perhaps?)

Song comp is even on the back burner. Just vote for the prime numbered songs.

just wish there werent huge delays between picks

I've stopped partaking in the song contest for this game too.

Rumor has it Freo strongly considering Lindsay Gilbee with their next pick

I think as long as you were planning to take that player before Redman and it was not Redman's preferences that gave you the idea then it is fine.
It wasn't Redman but my picks are planned out at least a few rounds in advance. Problem is, I have no way of proving that it was my intention to pick the player all along so I think I'll avoid people's first preference to ensure there is no doubt.

It wasn't Redman but my picks are planned out at least a few rounds in advance. Problem is, I have no way of proving that it was my intention to pick the player all along so I think I'll avoid people's first preference to ensure there is no doubt.
Just make sure people use spoilers. Then you only look at them if necessary

I’m happy to be sent preferences occasionally to avoid this especially from people at the opposite end of the draft.

Remove this Banner Ad

21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back