21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 301 Ollie Wines

Title: “Ollie Wines: The Bull with a Brownlow Heart”

By Fremantle Football Club
Published: August 5, 2024

Ollie Wines: The Bull with a Brownlow Heart

In the rugged amphitheater of Australian rules football, where sinew meets spirit, Ollie Wines charges—a raging bull, a ubiquitous force. His story? It’s a confluence of grit, loyalty, and the kind of tackling that eviscerates opponents’ dreams.

The Bull Emerges: Adversity as Forge

Wines—born in Echuca, baptized in resilience. His junior days—the Murray River whispering secrets, the Echuca Football Club nurturing his fire. But life? It’s no straight goalpost. Adversity—like a fierce opponent—tested him. Yet, Wines charged—shoulders low, eyes aflame. He wasn’t just a player; he was a bull—a relentless force, a holistic embodiment of Port Adelaide’s ethos.

Tackling Machine, Brownlow Heart: The Wines Formula

Wines’ game? It’s a formula: equal parts grunt and grace. His tackles—like thunderclaps—echo through stadiums. Opponents? They feel it—the ground shaking, their resolve crumbling. But Wines isn’t just a bull; he’s a Brownlow heart. His 2021 season—eviscerating records, tying Dustin Martin’s 2017 vote tally. The Brownlow—the ultimate accolade, a medal that beats in rhythm with his relentless pulse.

Loyalty, Unwavering: Pippen Vibes

Remember Scottie Pippen—the Chicago Bulls’ ubiquitous wingman? Wines shares that loyalty. He could’ve danced elsewhere, but Port Adelaide—the teal canvas—held his heart. Co-captaincy? It’s not just a title; it’s a commitment—a holistic embrace of club and community. Wines—the Pippen of Alberton Oval, threading passes, lifting teammates. His loyalty? It’s a legacy—a mural painted in teal and black.

Goal Sense, Brownlow Dreams: The Bull’s Canvas

And goals? Wines has that sense—the kind that transcends stats. He’s not just a midfielder; he’s a painter—stroking goals onto the canvas. The Brownlow? It’s not just a medal; it’s a dream—a sun rising over the Murray, casting shadows on the MCG. Wines—the bull with a Brownlow heart, charging toward destiny.

Learn more:

Got a story idea? Contact our sports desk at sports@fremantledockers.com.au.

Still weighing up players for my pick. I won't take him but Nick Stevens' Wiki page has an interesting section:

"Although Stevens never played for his beloved Collingwood, he managed to play four games for the Diamond Valley Magpies over 35 Superules team. Whilst grossly overweight, he showed glimpses of fitness and an ability to accept bets he would never honour.

Throughout 2023-24, Stevens went head to head with arch nemesis Brett Stabb on whatsapp. Unfortunately the results were much like his footy career, trying valiantly but ultimately getting beaten week in week out."

Westside Pavlovas select Jarrod Harbrow.

Rounding out our defence is a genuine small defender who we will deploy to the opposition's best small forward. Harbrow received a B&F at Gold Coast in 2018 and I believe is their current games record holder. With lightning pace, notable agility and strong skills - he was a 19 disposal, 5 intercept, 3 rebound 50, 3 score involvements per game player over 250+ games. We have another pacy defender who will help nullify contests and convert defence into attack.

theasian over to you.
He was on my list from round 1 but I went cold on him with the balance of my team an issue

Sydney Select Stephen Coniglio.

Versatile mid is a good user and also a two way runner. Has also a couple of 20 and 1 seasons, so can also slot across HF releasing Martin or Aker to the Midfield.

Updated Sydney Team

B ??? Andrews Gibson
HB Mackie Croad Mcveigh
C I Smith L Ball M Duncan
HF Akermanis Cloke Martin
F M Williams Roughead Puopolo
Foll Lade J.P Kennedy N Dal Santo
IC ??? Coniglio ??? ???

He was on my list from round 1 but I went cold on him with the balance of my team an issue
I'm guessing in your side Hurn would take the opposition's best small forward? If so I can see why you'd not need a Harbrow type. Although I got him as much for his prolific rebounds as I really don't think you can have too many players who are strong in that area. I also think any side looks silly without 7 genuine defenders - it'll be interesting to see which sides fill that quota.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If anyone else has an issue I can retract this post and select my old player.

Westside Pavlovas select Luke Davies-Uniacke.

In the end, with A grade midfielders diminishing, I wanted to lock in one of them. Today's game reminded me of one of my remaining candidates for stoppage rotations. LDU's been on my radar for a late pick as I've been particularly impressed with his last two seasons. During that time he's gone at 27 disposals (13 contested), 6-7 clearances, 5 inside 50s and 4 tackles per game. A line breaking midfielder who can burst from stoppages at pace and hurt the opposition. His running goals are always a highlight. In a strong side he'd be even more of a jet than what we've seen so far. Brownlow potential before his time is up.

Could easily be an elite wingman too, if we wanted an extra rotation there.

Pick 18 I feel is a reasonable time to select a fairly young player (still 100+ games) who is putting together high calibre footy. Goodwin has greater potential to be used up forward or in defence with the addition of an extra midfielder.

Midfield rotation options: Selwood, Harvey, Goodwin, Miller, LDU, Hannebery, Pavlich, Deledio, Stewart. Some are primarily in other positions but would be used for a 5-10 minute burst here and there.

FB: Stewart Frawley Vlastuin
HB: Lumumba Sicily Malceski

C: Hannebery Goodwin Embley
FOL: -- Selwood LDU

HF: Harvey Pavlich Deledio
FF: Wingard Hogan C.Cameron

IC: Miller -- -- --

Last edited:
If anyone else has an issue I can retract this post and select my old player.

Westside Pavlovas select Luke Davies-Uniacke.

In the end, with A grade midfielders diminishing, I wanted to lock in one of them. Today's game reminded me of one of my remaining candidates for stoppage rotations. LDU's been on my radar for a late pick as I've been particularly impressed with his last two seasons. During that time he's gone at 27 disposals (13 contested), 6-7 clearances, 5 inside 50s and 4 tackles per game. A line breaking midfielder who can burst from stoppages at pace and hurt the opposition. His running goals are always a highlight. In a strong side he'd be even more of a jet than what we've seen so far. Brownlow potential before his time is up.

Could easily be an elite wingman too, if we wanted an extra rotation there.

Pick 18 I feel is a reasonable time to select a fairly young player (still 100+ games) who is putting together high calibre footy. Goodwin has greater potential to be used up forward or in defence with the addition of an extra midfielder.

Midfield rotation options: Selwood, Harvey, Goodwin, Miller, LDU, Hannebery, Pavlich, Deledio, Stewart. Some are primarily in other positions but would be used for a 5-10 minute burst here and there.

FB: Stewart Frawley Vlastuin
HB: Lumumba Sicily Malceski

C: Hannebery Goodwin Embley
FOL: -- Selwood LDU

HF: Harvey Pavlich Deledio
FF: Wingard Hogan C.Cameron

IC: Miller -- -- --
Recency bias. I watched the first quarter and thought this guy moves like Pendles

Remove this Banner Ad

21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back