21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Wow.

I honestly didn’t think I’d have these options at the next pick, as I seriously considered these 3 for the Hall pick.

I listed out a list of about 300 players and found that KPF was by far the most scarce list/commodity so I decided to prioritize it after the Judd pick.

The toss up is between Josh Kennedy and Fraser Gherig. Both dual Coleman Medalists, JK a 3 x AA vs Fraser as a 2 x AA.

I think most people would lean to JK, but I’m the opposite.

It’s down to personal taste, so my pick is Fraser Gherig.

One of the best athletes to play the game, unbelievable power, speed and agility for his size. He was basically Charlie Curnow before Charlie Curnow ….if you added 15kg’s to Charlie.

He still holds the AFL powerlifting records. He still holds some AFL 20m sprint records for KPP’s.

Fraser has a goals per game average of 2.75 if you remove his seasons played at full back, which is above Hall and ranks him only just behind Buddy, Fev and Lloyd.

An absolutely alpha dominating presence, I found too hard to pass up the prospect of having Hall at CHF and the G train at FF in a very intimidating tall forward setup.

Picks to date:

C - Judd
CHF - Hall
FF - Gherig

Kennedy was ta
Wow.

I honestly didn’t think I’d have these options at the next pick, as I seriously considered these 3 for the Hall pick.

I listed out a list of about 300 players and found that KPF was by far the most scarce list/commodity so I decided to prioritize it after the Judd pick.

The toss up is between Josh Kennedy and Fraser Gherig. Both dual Coleman Medalists, JK a 3 x AA vs Fraser as a 2 x AA.

I think most people would lean to JK, but I’m the opposite.

It’s down to personal taste, so my pick is Fraser Gherig.

One of the best athletes to play the game, unbelievable power, speed and agility for his size. He was basically Charlie Curnow before Charlie Curnow ….if you added 15kg’s to Charlie.

He still holds the AFL powerlifting records. He still holds some AFL 20m sprint records for KPP’s.

Fraser has a goals per game average of 2.75 if you remove his seasons played at full back, which is above Hall and ranks him only just behind Buddy, Fev and Lloyd.

An absolutely alpha dominating presence, I found too hard to pass up the prospect of having Hall at CHF and the G train at FF in a very intimidating tall forward setup.

Picks to date:

C - Judd
CHF - Hall
FF - Gherig
Kennedy has been selected.

And damn, I ummed and ahhed in Hall v Tredrea (real 50/50) at pick 26, and planned for Gehrig with my next choice (the pick after next).

Seems your picks have fallen at the right time.

You guys have picked just about every player I wanted for my next pick! I thought Aker might slip through too.

Bastards!!!! ;)

whatwhatsaywhat is next?
Ive got a massively underappreciated player coming up. Probs will miss out on my mid tho.

I reckon Ill round out with a couple of players I like.

Ooh.... a few picks before you get that opportunity...
Think Im safe.

Got a current player I think is the most underrated player in AFL to pick up later

By the fans that is.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow, have I found this selection hard!

I had two A tier key forwards left 3 picks ago and thought I was safe, which REALLY suited my strategy/structure.

Unfortunately, both Gehrig and Curnow were taken in the last couple of picks and I perceive there to be a big drop to the next best.

The strategy once that forward slot was filled was to then focus on the midfield, but in going a round earlier, I notice all of my "S-tier" mids are now gone, meaning I really would have been happy to start selecting mids next round.

I've had a real wrestle selecting between a few players as that next level (A -tier) mid. I tend to prefer guys whose career has completed (as you don't know what's to come for still competing players) but I have ignored some highly regarded and credentialed former players in favour of a current one.

My rationale is that 5xAA is the highest of all midfielders left and my chosen player is a 4xAA with plenty of years left. He is also more unique in being more of a bull and a greater ability to impact forward of the ball.

With that long into, with pick 43, Hawthorn selects Christian Petracca

(Now can someone tell me they would have chosen him next as I have some discomfort with my pivot and am finding being smack bang in the middle of the draft hard as every pick has the maximum number of picks until my next selection)

I had two A tier key forwards left 3 picks ago and thought I was safe, which REALLY suited my strategy/structure.

Unfortunately, both Gehrig and Curnow were taken in the last couple of picks and I perceive there to be a big drop to the next best.

The strategy once that forward slot was filled was to then focus on the midfield, but in going a round earlier, I notice all of my "S-tier" mids are now gone, meaning I really would have been happy to start selecting mids next round.

I've had a real wrestle selecting between a few players as that next level (A -tier) mid. I tend to prefer guys whose career has completed (as you don't know what's to come for still competing players) but I have ignored some highly regarded and credentialed former players in favour of a current one.

My rationale is that 5xAA is the highest of all midfielders left and my chosen player is a 4xAA with plenty of years left. He is also more unique in being more of a bull and a greater ability to impact forward of the ball.

(Now can someone tell me they would have chosen him next as I have some discomfort with my pivot and am finding being smack bang in the middle of the draft hard as every pick has the maximum number of picks until my next selection)
He was one of 4 on my next list.

Great pick imo and having the middle picks sucks 🤣😆

I mean he wasn’t my preferred pick but he’s on the shortlist 😄

Great explosive mid/fwd that has been very consistent

RedmanWasHere you’re up

It is getting harder to make selections. So many positions to fill, and I can't tell if not filling position X now is going to bite me on the arse in the later rounds when I have to select players in that position after all the best ones have been taken.

Also just including the team names along with who the players are

35. Gold Coast - Ben Cousins
36. Melbourne - Eddie Betts
37. Carlton - Steven Milne
38. Sydney - Jason Akermanis
39. Westside Pavlovas Brent Harvey
40. Fremantle - Charlie Curnow
41. North Melbourne - Fraser Gehrig
42. Port Adelaide - Steven May
43. Hawthorn - Christian Petracca
44. Manninghorse - Chad Cornes

Pick 45 - Windrunners - Taylor Walker

Last of the top tier KPFs I had on my list so gotta take him now.

Not as well decorated/celebrated but averages as many goals a game as Jack Riewoldt and more than Nick or Hawkins and in a generally worse side.

Also sits in the top 20 for goal assists 😄

boncer34 you’re up!

Remove this Banner Ad

21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back