40. Fremantle - Charlie Curnow
41. North Melbourne - Fraser Gehrig
42. Port Adelaide - Steven May
43. Hawthorn - Christian Petracca
44. Manninghorse - Chad Cornes
45. Windrunners - Taylor Walker
46. GWS - Scott Lucas

Wow, have I found this selection hard!

I had two A tier key forwards left 3 picks ago and thought I was safe, which REALLY suited my strategy/structure.

Unfortunately, both Gehrig and Curnow were taken in the last couple of picks and I perceive there to be a big drop to the next best.

The strategy once that forward slot was filled was to then focus on the midfield, but in going a round earlier, I notice all of my "S-tier" mids are now gone, meaning I really would have been happy to start selecting mids next round.

I've had a real wrestle selecting between a few players as that next level (A -tier) mid. I tend to prefer guys whose career has completed (as you don't know what's to come for still competing players) but I have ignored some highly regarded and credentialed former players in favour of a current one.

My rationale is that 5xAA is the highest of all midfielders left and my chosen player is a 4xAA with plenty of years left. He is also more unique in being more of a bull and a greater ability to impact forward of the ball.

With that long into, with pick 43, Hawthorn selects Christian Petracca

(Now can someone tell me they would have chosen him next as I have some discomfort with my pivot and am finding being smack bang in the middle of the draft hard as every pick has the maximum number of picks until my next selection)
I was thinking round 15.....but seriously good pick. I'm lucky to have lasted out with Curnow tbh.

Still Taylor Walker, Gunston, There will be guys like Larkey picked up later. I'm thinking for balance you need some young players for the X factor, or the unknown.

EDIT: lol Walker just got picked up I hadn't seen it.

I was thinking round 15.....but seriously good pick. I'm lucky to have lasted out with Curnow tbh.

Still Taylor Walker, Gunston, There will be guys like Larkey picked up later. I'm thinking for balance you need some young players for the X factor, or the unknown.

EDIT: lol Walker just got picked up I hadn't seen it.

There are still key forwards out there like Jesse Hogan or Nick Larkey but the real cream of the crop are now gone.

Glenn was a performance enhancing footballer, whil Alan was more recreational.

I think we might have the same player in mind.

He was one of the best by position in the modern era imo

Not sure. We shall see. I'm 100% set on my next player. Absolute gun. Probably well recognized here, but in the wider community forgotten.

The guy currently playing is definitely underrated by the wider AFL community but not within the system. He would be well recognized by opp coaches. He nearly never gets talked about but is top tier.

Not sure. We shall see. I'm 100% set on my next player. Absolute gun. Probably well recognized here, but in the wider community forgotten.

The guy currently playing is definitely underrated by the wider AFL community but not within the system. He would be well recognized by opp coaches. He nearly never gets talked about but is top tier.

So pencil in Dan Houston and Heath Scotland.

So pencil in Dan Houston and Heath Scotland.
george costanza damnit GIF by HULU

I'll go Aaron Sandilands

Totally dominate Ruck and could arguably compete against anyone and do well.

Can someone please tag next up.

Work dunny break is over 😁

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I am not good at making sense of the spiderman graph but I do know there is close on 400 goal difference.
at the same point in terms of seasons in the AFL J Cameron had about 25 percent more goals.
Cameron has had 8 years over 40 goals Curnow 3 till now so he is looking good but only 3 good seasons so far in his career he has a bit to go to be at Camerons level.

It might be 18 years too late, but the Collingwood Football Club have revisited the ankle x-rays and given the all-clear.

With that, with pick 48 in the 21st Century Draft, Collingwood select Steve Johnson.

516 goals from 293 games;
3 x Premiership player;
3 x All-Australian;
Norm Smith Medallist.

He switches jumpers in the 2011 Grand Final, and Collingwood are premiers.

I see him as a unique player who can go into the midfield and rack up 30, or park himself on a forward flank and have 20 and 3.

Amazing player and would be a great bloke to have a beer with at a premiership reunion.

It might be 18 years too late, but the Collingwood Football Club have revisited the ankle x-rays and given the all-clear.

With that, with pick 48 in the 21st Century Draft, Collingwood select Steve Johnson.

3 x Premiership player;
3 x All-Australian;
Norm Smith Medallist.

I see him as a unique player who can go into the midfield and rack up 30, or park himself on a forward flank and have 20 and 3.

Amazing player and would be a great bloke to have a beer with at a premiership reunion.

A great choice.

3 x Premiership player;
3 x All-Australian;
Norm Smith Medallist.

I was so close to getting STEVIE - You can get Fadged!

3 x Premiership player;
3 x All-Australian;
Norm Smith Medallist.

Once the key forwards were gone, really wanted Stevie J at pick 43 (but reluctantly felt the midfield might be important to address). Basically assumed he would be gone but hoped it was just that I rate him more highly than others (I rate him top 20 player of the 2000's). Hurts to see him go elsewhere.

Edit: Going by this thread, perhaps I don't rate that much higher than others.

Reggie is going to be offline for a little bit and has sent me a preference list.

As such, with pick 49, Cappadocia selects....Dane Swan.

(which in my opinion is a pretty good slider - and the retired player I referenced in relation to my tough choice to go for Petracca instead).

eth-dog - you're up.

Reggie is going to be offline for a little bit and has sent me a preference list.

As such, with pick 49, Cappadocia selects....Dane Swan.

(which in my opinion is a pretty good slider - and the retired player I referenced in relation to my tough choice to go for Petracca instead).

Good on Reggie for doing that and keeping the thread moving.

eth-dog is next

Remove this Banner Ad

21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back