21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

It is a really good start to a team. If I had to be really critical, and this is me being too critical really, Sicily is not great with the bigger key forwards and Stewart, while an amazing intercepter is not a beast of a key defender either.

Pavlich and Hogan are good key forwards too, but neither are the sort who could really rip another team apart.

Again though, that is me being too harsh. It is a quality spine.
Pavlich ripped Geelong apart in multiple finals. He's a centre half forward who kicked 8+ goals 4 times and 6+ goals on 14 occassions in the modern game. Plus had B.O.G performances in midfield and in defence. That's a crazy call to say he didn't rip teams apart, he was a consistently dominant player.

Hogan could well be starting a late career Hawkins type run. If he'd played in better teams earlier he'd be better appreciated.

Sicily isn't locked into CHB necessarily. For now he sits there. It'll depend on what's left in KPD stocks. In a supreme defence full of quality readers of the game, Sicily as a CHB can work. It's when he gets stuck close to goal on a monster, in an undermanned defence, that he can struggle.

Also none of this was meant to come across as abrasive - I appreciate the input.

I am actually super surprised by that. I was almost certain you would go for a key defender :p
I'm going to do something different for my key defenders.

Game structures are much different these days than they used to be. A tall defender with one string to his bow isn't as advantageous in today's modern game. We rely heavily on structures, third man up etc. IT's why I've avoided particular players. Scarlett was an exception but I wasn't prepared to spend my tickets early on him.

I'm going to do something different for my key defenders.

Game structures are much different these days than they used to be. A tall defender with one string to his bow isn't as advantageous in today's modern game. We rely heavily on structures, third man up etc. IT's why I've avoided particular players. Scarlett was an exception but I wasn't prepared to spend my tickets early on him.

The odd thing with Key Defenders is I think there are quite a few really good ones who never even got an AA. I think KPD's probably bat deeper in terms of quality than most positions so it does make sense not to go too early knowing you can pick up some good ones in the later rounds.

I am actually super surprised by that. I was almost certain you would go for a key defender :p
Will definitely have to take defenders next round. I took Serong now because with him being top tier RN he wouldn't last another 20 picks. Hopefully my defenders are safe

I'd like to know if anyone had considered Serong soon.

Will definitely have to take defenders next round. I took Serong now because with him being top tier RN he wouldn't last another 20 picks. Hopefully my defenders are safe

In truth he was not on my radar just yet, but I am not touching my midfield too much at the moment. I got the extractor I needed and I am focusing on other things right now.

The odd thing with Key Defenders is I think there are quite a few really good ones who never even got an AA. I think KPD's probably bat deeper in terms of quality than most positions so it does make sense not to go too early knowing you can pick up some good ones in the later rounds.
Agree. I'm thinking more about the tall key defenders rather than the running ones. I've got a reasonable understanding of what my defenders look like but will have to see if I can get them.

Serong was too much like Selwood with worse skills to make an ideal partnership in my team.

I can see how you could create a midfield with picks in this region by essentially targeting current AA players though i.e pairing Serong with Butters makes sense.

What's emerging is that people really don't rate the man with the 21st most amount of Brownlow votes in history: Travis Boak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In truth he was not on my radar just yet, but I am not touching my midfield too much at the moment. I got the extractor I needed and I am focusing on other things right now.
I went for elite kicks, inside 50s, clearances and contested posessions. Can't go wrong with Butters and Serong.

Got a bit of a decision to make regarding the third one and what he brings, but also who I pick for the wings. I would have selected Lenny Hayes for that third man if he was available.

I went for elite kicks, inside 50s, clearances and contested posessions. Can't go wrong with Butters and Serong.

Got a bit of a decision to make regarding the third one and what he brings, but also who I pick for the wings. I would have selected Lenny Hayes for that third man if he was available.

Yes I think wings are important and I have a few ideas. I even have a midfielder I plan on getting in the next 4 or 5 rounds despite the fact he never got a single AA, but I really rated him and have no idea how he didn't as he was such a good player.

Funny that. I kind of agree but I think the really good ones separate themselves.

Harry Taylor Vs Tom Barrass for example.

1v1 let's say Taylor a 9/10 and Barrass an 8.

Intercept marks around the same but Taylor gave a lot more offense with his kicking

Rough and rushed as I'm at work but you get the idea

Yes I think wings are important and I have a few ideas. I even have a midfielder I plan on getting in the next 4 or 5 rounds despite the fact he never got a single AA, but I really rated him and have no idea how he didn't as he was such a good player.
By the time I pick my defenders, the third mid. Both of my wingers will definitely be gone.

Funny that. I kind of agree but I think the really good ones separate themselves.

Harry Taylor Vs Tom Barrass for example.

1v1 let's say Taylor a 9/10 and Barrass an 8.

Intercept marks around the same but Taylor gave a lot more offense with his kicking

Rough and rushed as I'm at work but you get the idea

I must admit I went into this thinking "which positions have the largest drop offs after you take the best 3 or 4 players" and it is why I targetted two of Rioli, Betts and Milne as quality small forwards are really hard to find, even harder than KPF's.

That was my thinking, and I am still doing it too, trying to figure out which positions bat deeper so I can ignore those positions for the moment and focus on the positions where it will be really hard to find anyone even half decent if I wait too long.

I must admit I went into this thinking "which positions have the largest drop offs after you take the best 3 or 4 players" and it is why I targetted two of Rioli, Betts and Milne as quality small forwards are really hard to find, even harder than KPF's.

That was my thinking, and I am still doing it too, trying to figure out which positions bat deeper so I can ignore those positions for the moment and focus on the positions where it will be really hard to find anyone even half decent if I wait too long.
Yes but...............You can easiiy slot a midfielder in as a small forward. We would agree that the best small forwards are gone.

We have Betts/Milne/Gray/Breust/Rioli

Then we've got the next tier, but beyond that I'd rather select a more skilled mid and thrown them in as a forward. That's just my take on it. Defenders are a little different.

I'd play Mcluggage before I'd play a 3rd tier forward pocket player any day of the week.

I'm actually of a different view as I think Akermanis, Breust, Farmer, S.Johnson, Chapman, LeCras, Gray and Greene more than hold up against your names. The ones from this group that could play multiple position or small/tall in style I'd see as perhaps even more valuable (Rioli does have positional versatility, the other two you mentioned not so much).

Yes but...............You can easiiy slot a midfielder in as a small forward. We would agree that the best small forwards are gone.

We have Betts/Milne/Gray/Breust/Rioli

Then we've got the next tier, but beyond that I'd rather select a more skilled mid and thrown them in as a forward. That's just my take on it. Defenders are a little different.

I'd play Mcluggage before I'd play a 3rd tier forward pocket player any day of the week.
A bunch of great genuine forward/mids have also been taken anyway - who ripped games apart when forward but were still elite whenever in midfield.

For example SJ as a veteran was a top 10 in the Brownlow type player when permanently in midfield. He just happened to fill a niche best as a 70/30 forward/mid for the majority of his career.

I'm actually of a different view as I think Akermanis, Breust, Farmer, S.Johnson, Chapman, LeCras, Gray and Greene more than hold up against your names. The ones from this group that could play multiple position or small/tall in style I'd see as perhaps even more valuable (Rioli does have positional versatility, the other two you mentioned not so much).

Several of those are more medium forwards though, and less the crumber that a small forward often is.

A bunch of great genuine forward/mids have also been taken anyway - who ripped games apart when forward but were still elite whenever in midfield.
But how many midfielders only played in the mid but would have dominated in the forward line. Obviously from team structure you put your best mids in the midfield. if my next mid lasts he's mostly played midfield but could easily dominate as a forward pocket.

Several of those are more medium forwards though, and less the crumber that a small forward often is.
Anyone with electric pace, elite at crumbing/snapping goals and reading the ball off the ground or off a target man I have in the same category. If they could also take marks and had an extra 10cm - great. Small/tall combo players are just smalls with more strings to their bow.

Remove this Banner Ad

21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back