21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

i'm surprised that he's not been picked, but i'm going with cam mooney

3x premiership player, all oztrayan, 2x geelong leading goalkicker (in premiership years, no less)

i feel he'll perfectly complement tom lynch as mobile tall forward options
Mooney gets overlooked as he actually wasn't a permanent key forward most of his career. He was a little bit early and then in his final 5 years.

And yes he was in a great team for that last stretch but his combined goal/assist average when he was a key forward spoke for itself - seriously, the tallies would surprise most people. Mooney was also the perfect fulcrum for the small/mediums to work off and tough as nails, could take a contested mark. Slotted into ruck, CHB, deep forward and CHF through his career. Unselfish in key forward terms as he often passed them off.

But for these types I'm trying not to lean into my Geelong bias and let others make the picks generally.

B: ? - Steven May - ?
HB: Luke Hodge - Jake Lever - ?
C: ? - Sam Walsh - ?
HF: ? - Cam Mooney - ?
F: ? - Tom Lynch - ?
Foll: Todd Goldstein - ? - ?
I/c: ? - ? - ? - ?

Really worried about who I am not selecting with this pick but with a few more key forwards going, it's time I pick my 2nd tall forward.

Hawthorn selects Jack Gunston

3 flags, 5xAA squad, big finals performer and can play multiple roles.

Depending on where my remaining picks go, I may slot him in at full forward. Some may argue that he is a 3rd tall but I will remind them that the same thing was said when Buddy left but Gunston thrived in the 2nd key forward role, kicking 50+ goals in 3 of the next 4 years, earning All Australian and leading the Hawthron goalkicking a few times amongst some very handy forwards.

RedmanWasHere

If I get voted down because I went with a future HOF player in Reid, that'll be the end of it.

I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you do, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.
XOXOX AE 💋❤️💋
I'm definitely with you on this one mate. I've already picked Butters and Serong because the payoff is huge. Why pick Paul Liccuria for example when both of those players will be better.

There's got to be some element of mystery or the unknown so that one day we can look back on the thread and go, wow we got it right.

I'm going to be making a couple of big calls late game and I feel those calls will allow me to target more elite players overall.

If I get voted down because I went with a future HOF player in Reid, that'll be the end of it.

I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you do, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will kill you.
XOXOX AE 💋❤️💋
What has he produced to the level of literally everyone else taken so far?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Comparable to Dusty in his first season. I think it's worth a punt. If he didn't pick Reid in that round, wouldn't have lasted 2-3 more rounds.

I thought Luke Jackson was a gutsy pick and well worth the investment.

I'm definitely with you on this one mate. I've already picked Butters and Serong because the payoff is huge. Why pick Paul Liccuria for example when both of those players will be better.

There's got to be some element of mystery or the unknown so that one day we can look back on the thread and go, wow we got it right.

I'm going to be making a couple of big calls late game and I feel those calls will allow me to target more elite players overall.
I mean, Serong and Reid aren't really comparable. Serong has shown the floor of his peak is a very high standard. Reid hasn't shown more than being a very very good first year player.
Comparable to Dusty in his first season. I think it's worth a punt. If he didn't pick Reid in that round, wouldn't have lasted 2-3 more rounds.

I thought Luke Jackson was a gutsy pick and well worth the investment.
That's all well and good. But I'm voting on how good they are, not how good they will be.

XOXOX AE 💋❤️💋

Agree with both of you.

I reckon it will be more about looking back on this thread in 10 years and determining who 'won'.

I mean, Serong and Reid aren't really comparable. Serong has shown the floor of his peak is a very high standard. Reid hasn't shown more than being a very very good first year player.

That's all well and good. But I'm voting on how good they are, not how good they will be.
Tend to agree to some degree. I personally wouldn't have selected Reid and is why I picked Butters and Serong because they've shown they are elite and are both top 10 players RN and would be over the last 5 years. I think they've done enough to warrant being taken seriously just as much as Walsh and Daicos.

Really worried about who I am not selecting with this pick but with a few more key forwards going, it's time I pick my 2nd tall forward.

Depending on where my remaining picks go, I may slot him in at full forward. Some may argue that he is a 3rd tall but I will remind them that the same thing was said when Buddy left but Gunston thrived in the 2nd key forward role, kicking 50+ goals in 3 of the next 4 years, earning All Australian and leading the Hawthron goalkicking a few times amongst some very handy forwards.

RedmanWasHere
Indeed.

Someone like Mihocek is the same. Can certainly be a great Full-Forward if you also have a handful of other players in the forward line capable of kicking 40 to 60 goals in a season.

Agree with both of you.

I reckon it will be more about looking back on this thread in 10 years and determining who 'won'.
GIF by Australian Open

That's not what the pick is about, not the draft to my understanding.

I thought before we started Guardian Hawk outlined it can also be on perceived projection.

This is why he was taken pick 80 something.

RedmanWasHere
Yeah I strongly considered Gunston and I think the talk of him as a medium forward is overstated. He did show he could play that 2nd tall forward and was in fact a key reason why the loss of Franklin did not hurt too much - look at Gunston's outstanding 2014 and 2015 goal contribution (goals/assists) tallies. Also, sadly from my perspective, a crucial difference in the classic 2013 PF. Geelong had no real match up for him and without Enright to fill the right spaces Gunston ran riot. He stood up in finals, which is a big plus.

Hogan if he was in that Hawthorn side (I know they had some lean later years, but still) I think would've still been a bit more prolific and has the little bit of extra size about him to balance out my so far relatively small line up.

Pick 113 - Windrunners - Luke Parker

Tough as nails, 3 x B&F winner in that Sydney team is no joke. Brings a level of grunt that compliments my midfield very nicely (not that #1 tackler of all time Scott Pendlebury is soft! Or Merrett for that matter..). All Australian as well and premiership player. Strong overhead as a midfielder for his size and can obviously impact up forward brilliantly as well.

Very happy with our engine room.

FB - Weitering -
HB Enright - -
C - Parker -
R Gawn Pendlebury Merrett
HF - - -
FF - Walker -
B ----

boncer34

Tend to agree to some degree. I personally wouldn't have selected Reid and is why I picked Butters and Serong because they've shown they are elite and are both top 10 players RN and would be over the last 5 years. I think they've done enough to warrant being taken seriously just as much as Walsh and Daicos.
Yep. All were on my list(s) that I'm using to track.
That's not what the pick is about, not the draft to my understanding.

I thought before we started Guardian Hawk outlined it can also be on perceived projection.

This is why he was taken pick 80 something.
Where was that? Not doubting you just didn't see it.

Remove this Banner Ad

21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back