21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

I actually read somewhere that at least in England you can donate your skull to your local shakespearean company after you die so they can use your head in Hamlet. Not sure how true that is though. Apparently it takes quite a bit of paperwork to own a human skull.

Not to mention the preparation and preservatives as well.

Plus "Alas poor, Maverick, I knew him well" doesn't quite roil off the tongue as well.

Yep, even put it in the rules. I think it adds to the game (and gives further flexibility) so why not?
I could do with Matthew Scarlett but Would have to give up too much for him.

I think if you've got an impalance it might be handy to trade.

How would that work.

Basically each person picks 60+ songs each and all would be added to that person's Spotify playlist and, then, once done, it'd be shared here to BF.

What's the end game.

Everyone has a listen to each song per playlist and gives a rating and brief (or detailed) opinion of each playlist.

Preferably close to the end of a year.

Lonely Monday GIF by Just Ape

Yep, even put it in the rules. I think it adds to the game (and gives further flexibility) so why not?
As much as I like the idea in theory for trading, I used such an early pick on Sicily compared to yours for Fisher that I don't see how we'd really come to an agreement. I would have Sicily closer to the McGovern quality area than he is to Fisher - despite the latter probably slipping further than he should have.

Then let's say we swapped - you'd still need a full back and I'd need an A grade third tall/interceptor (despite what you said earlier, I do still see Stewart more likely to match up on a small than Sicily).

It's probably still easiest for you to find a full back and me a CHB or to leave Sicily there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually read somewhere that at least in England you can donate your skull to your local shakespearean company after you die so they can use your head in Hamlet. Not sure how true that is though. Apparently it takes quite a bit of paperwork to own a human skull.
Oh please be true

As much as I like the idea in theory for trading, I used such an early pick on Sicily compared to yours for Fisher that I don't see how we'd really come to an agreement. I would have Sicily closer to the McGovern quality area than he is to Fisher - despite the latter probably slipping further than he should have.

Then let's say we swapped - you'd still need a full back and I'd need an A grade third tall/interceptor (despite what you said earlier, I do still see Stewart more likely to match up on a small than Sicily).

It's probably still easiest for you to find a full back and me a CHB or to leave Sicily there.
Okey doke . Fair enough.

(Sicily is a personal favourite of mine but I could have seen from a neutral perspective how they may have been rated closish. Fisher was an undersized CHB that was a good user and a strong rebounder. He was All Australian once, unlucky another time (but in the squad) . That description could identically be written for Sicily, except for 1 more squad selection. I would personally have Sicily well ahead so understand and appreciate your point of view).

There's still a pretty decent CHB out there in my view, and a couple of options for FB too.

Busy day did not give reason for my picks.
I was busy and thought Cotchin had slipped through but Fadge picked up the unbelievable slider.

Camporeale
Smooth moving wingman was a real rolls royce for parts of his career I do not have a type like him yet so thought I would take him here, will play wing and set up some nice play for me. Also comes with father son twins haha.

Bowden
I have some really solid defenders that will have any side covered I think, now I need a good user who can play loose and I will give him the license to be as loose as he likes and hunt 25 kicks a game with some intercept marking when needed. A Switch master and adds another layer to my defence with Scarlett Rance and CLement all doing different roles.

Bowden
I have some really solid defenders that will have any side covered I think, now I need a good user who can play loose and I will give him the license to be as loose as he likes and hunt 25 kicks a game with some intercept marking when needed. A Switch master and adds another layer to my defence with Scarlett Rance and CLement all doing different roles.

Better not start rushing behinds ad nauseum.

Okey doke . Fair enough.

(Sicily is a personal favourite of mine but I could have seen from a neutral perspective how they may have been rated closish. Fisher was an undersized CHB that was a good user and a strong rebounder. He was All Australian once, unlucky another time (but in the squad) . That description could identically be written for Sicily, except for 1 more squad selection. I would personally have Sicily well ahead so understand and appreciate your point of view).

There's still a pretty decent CHB out there in my view, and a couple of options for FB too.
Yeah good points. Sicily I simply see as having put together a more sustained run of excellence than Fisher. Swinging him up forward is a bonus and I still think his 1v1 capacity against talls gets criticised more than it should.

Out of interest do you have Gibson well ahead of Sicily? I did have the option for Gibson at that pick and rate his career incredibly highly. Interested in your thoughts on how they compare. Fairly or unfairly, I thought if they swapped sides for their entire careers Sicily may have been even more dominant and thought of higher.

Adam Simpson (306 Games)

2× AFL premiership player: 1996, 1999
AFL Rising Star nominee: 1996
Syd Barker Medal: 2002
All-Australian team: 2002
North Melbourne captain: 2004–2008

Here we are, back in 1995, the year of flannel shirts, grunge music, and Adam Simpson striding onto the field. Let’s dive into why Simmo is our man for the Fremantle Dockers’ midfield:
  1. The Steely Midfield General:Adam Simpson was like a seasoned sea captain—steady, resolute, and with a compass that always pointed toward victory. His presence in the center square was akin to the epicenter of a seismic shift. When he stepped onto the turf, you could practically hear the opposition midfielders gulp. Why? Because Simmo brought a blend of silk and steel. He wasn’t just a ball magnet; he was a conductor, orchestrating the game’s tempo with a baton made of pure determination.
  2. Silky Skills:
    • Left-Footed Elegance: Picture this: Simpson gliding across the dew-kissed grass, the ball seemingly attached to his left boot by an invisible string. His disposal was poetry—precise, graceful, and utterly devastating.
    • Vision and Decision-Making: Simmo had the eyes of an owl (minus the nocturnal habits). He’d spot a teammate in the pocket while being tackled by three opponents, and somehow, that Sherrin would find its way to its intended recipient. His decision-making was like a well-crafted suspense novel—you never knew what twist awaited, but it was bound to be brilliant.
  3. The Unseen Work:
    • Tireless Running: While others puffed and panted, Simmo covered ground like a marathon runner chasing a PB. He’d sprint forward, then double back to cover defensively. His tank was bigger than a country dam after a monsoon.
    • Clearance Wizardry: At stoppages, he’d emerge from the scrum with the ball as if he’d conjured it from thin air. His clearance work was like a magician pulling rabbits out of a hat—except the rabbits were leather-clad and stitched.
  4. Leadership That Rumbled Like Thunder:
    • Captaincy Material: When Simmo donned the captain’s armband, it wasn’t just a fashion statement. He led by example—no histrionics, no chest-thumping. Just a quiet resolve that said, “Follow me, lads.”
    • The Huddle Whisperer: In those crucial moments, when the Dockers huddled together like conspirators planning a heist, Simmo’s words resonated. His speeches weren’t fiery—they were pragmatic, like a sage advising warriors before battle. “Stick to the structures, boys,” he’d say. And they did.
  5. The Premierships:
    • '96 and '99: Simmo wasn’t just there for the ride; he was steering the ship. Those premiership medals weren’t handed to him; he earned them with sweat, grit, and a dash of that trademark left boot magic.
    • Experience Counts: By ‘96, he’d already tasted the ultimate success. Imagine having a seasoned campaigner like him in the Dockers’ inaugural lineup. It’s like adding a rare spice to an already promising recipe.
Adam Simpson isn’t just a player; he’s a saga waiting to unfold. He’ll be the heartbeat of our midfield, the strategist in the trenches, and the one who rallies the troops when the storm clouds gather. And when the final siren sounds, the fans will look back and say, “Simmo—we chose wisely.”

I realise I haven't given reasons either:

Callan Ward

My midfield needs a bit more balance and as I saw the players on my list in this regard get smaller and smaller so I knew I had to pull the trigger. He's balanced, he provides equal offense and defence in the middle and just someone you can rely on.

Tom Papley

Forward line needed crumbing and defensive pressure which made me choose between him and another guy that I'm kinda hoping that'll be around next time. Papley was the best credentialed small forward left so I took the risk thinking he wouldn't be around next pick.

As far as only having 3 defenders right now... There's still a lot of quality there. I'm banking I can make up for it later.

it's at the point where you're going who fits the role, who can complement the rest of the team, and who can play multiple roles

as such, i'm going for james mcdonald

he's the original gut-running defensive half-forward, who can also go into the midfield and be a cooler as well as winning a heap of contested ball

he was also surprisingly lightning quick

over to you Sphynx

B: ? - Steve May - Jake Lever
HB: Luke Hodge - Chris Tarrant - ?
C: ? - Sam Walsh - ?
HF: ? - Cam Mooney - James McDonald
F: ? - Tom Lynch - Aaron Davey
Foll: Todd Goldstein - Jordan Lewis - Jack Viney
I/c: ? - ? - ? - ?

Last edited:
I realise I haven't given reasons either:

Callan Ward

My midfield needs a bit more balance and as I saw the players on my list in this regard get smaller and smaller so I knew I had to pull the trigger. He's balanced, he provides equal offense and defence in the middle and just someone you can rely on.

Tom Papley

Forward line needed crumbing and defensive pressure which made me choose between him and another guy that I'm kinda hoping that'll be around next time. Papley was the best credentialed small forward left so I took the risk thinking he wouldn't be around next pick.

As far as only having 3 defenders right now... There's still a lot of quality there. I'm banking I can make up for it later.
Heart Smile GIF

Remove this Banner Ad

21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back