21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair enough. I thought you'd genuinely jumped the shark as far as Merrett = overrated.
haha, he's not overrated, but I would never have picked him in my squad because I haven't watched a lot of him and I've got a preference to players I've watched closely and enjoyed watching play.

There's a ton of good players that have been picked up that I wouldn't have picked unless it was on an absolute needs basis. Eg McKay from Carlton, or I guess Hooker who I picked because he was best needs at the time. I'm personally not fond of Essendon.

If I needed a key forward and Taylor Walker was available I'd take him, but I can't stand him.

RedmanWasHere

I asked co-pilot for some suggestions for future drafts

1. State of Origin Round:
    • State Pride: Designate a specific round where coaches can only select players from their home state. It’s a nod to the old State of Origin clashes and adds regional flavor.
  2. Age Brackets:
    • Young Guns: A round dedicated to players under 21 years old. Coaches can invest in future stars.
    • Veterans: Another round for players over 30. Experience matters, after all!
  3. Club Legends:
    • One-Club Players: Coaches earn bonus points for selecting players who spent their entire careers at one club. Think Matthew Richardson (Richmond) or Luke Hodge (Hawthorn).
    • Retired Jerseys: Coaches can “retire” a jersey number (like the NBA) if they pick a legendary player associated with it. No other coach can select that number.
  4. Rookie Round:
    • Rising Stars: Coaches can only pick players who were drafted as rookies (Category B or Category A). It’s a nod to those who defied the odds.
  5. International Flavor:
    • International Picks: Coaches must select at least one player who hails from outside Australia. It’s a celebration of the global appeal of footy.
    • Irish Recruits: Bonus points if they pick an Irish player who transitioned from Gaelic football to AFL.
  6. Injury Histories:
    • The Comeback Kids: Coaches can choose players who battled injuries but made triumphant returns. It’s a risk-reward scenario.
  7. Club Legends as Coaches:
    • Guest Coaches Redux: Invite retired AFL legends (think Chris Judd, Leigh Matthews, or Paul Roos) to join the draft as coaches. Their insights and banter would be gold.
  8. Draft Steals and Bargains:
    • Hidden Gems, Part II: Coaches get bonus points for picking players who were overlooked in their original drafts.
    • Late Bloomers, AFL Edition: A round for players who hit their peak later in their careers (like Shaun Burgoyne or Michael Barlow).
  9. Wildcard Round:
    • Wildcard Picks: Coaches can choose any player from any position. It’s a free-for-all—strategy meets chaos!

Some interesting options here. I'm not sure if specific rounds would work or if it would be better to have it up to the coach to choose when to pick a certain player.

My feeling is if we did this with a full 44 from 1987 we could have:
  • Must choose one player from every club
  • Must have (5) players under the age of 21, or have a minimum games requirement
  • 300 gamer
  • (what if player) maybe injury prone, didn't fit in with the team etc.
  • Dual club players
  • 1 club players
  • Must have X number of players that played junior footy in your home state
Wildcard rounds could be an interesting way of making coaches think outside the square to pick players in a particular round.

RedmanWasHere

I asked co-pilot for some suggestions for future drafts

1. State of Origin Round:
    • State Pride: Designate a specific round where coaches can only select players from their home state. It’s a nod to the old State of Origin clashes and adds regional flavor.
  2. Age Brackets:
    • Young Guns: A round dedicated to players under 21 years old. Coaches can invest in future stars.
    • Veterans: Another round for players over 30. Experience matters, after all!
  3. Club Legends:
    • One-Club Players: Coaches earn bonus points for selecting players who spent their entire careers at one club. Think Matthew Richardson (Richmond) or Luke Hodge (Hawthorn).
    • Retired Jerseys: Coaches can “retire” a jersey number (like the NBA) if they pick a legendary player associated with it. No other coach can select that number.
  4. Rookie Round:
    • Rising Stars: Coaches can only pick players who were drafted as rookies (Category B or Category A). It’s a nod to those who defied the odds.
  5. International Flavor:
    • International Picks: Coaches must select at least one player who hails from outside Australia. It’s a celebration of the global appeal of footy.
    • Irish Recruits: Bonus points if they pick an Irish player who transitioned from Gaelic football to AFL.
  6. Injury Histories:
    • The Comeback Kids: Coaches can choose players who battled injuries but made triumphant returns. It’s a risk-reward scenario.
  7. Club Legends as Coaches:
    • Guest Coaches Redux: Invite retired AFL legends (think Chris Judd, Leigh Matthews, or Paul Roos) to join the draft as coaches. Their insights and banter would be gold.
  8. Draft Steals and Bargains:
    • Hidden Gems, Part II: Coaches get bonus points for picking players who were overlooked in their original drafts.
    • Late Bloomers, AFL Edition: A round for players who hit their peak later in their careers (like Shaun Burgoyne or Michael Barlow).
  9. Wildcard Round:
    • Wildcard Picks: Coaches can choose any player from any position. It’s a free-for-all—strategy meets chaos!

Some interesting options here. I'm not sure if specific rounds would work or if it would be better to have it up to the coach to choose when to pick a certain player.

My feeling is if we did this with a full 44 from 1987 we could have:
  • Must choose one player from every club
  • Must have (5) players under the age of 21, or have a minimum games requirement
  • 300 gamer
  • (what if player) maybe injury prone, didn't fit in with the team etc.
  • Dual club players
  • 1 club players
  • Must have X number of players that played junior footy in your home state
Wildcard rounds could be an interesting way of making coaches think outside the square to pick players in a particular round.

Allow me to add a 10th.

Undrafted draft.

Players who, in the last 25 years not to have been taken in a draft (yet.)

There's enough to fill out a whole league plus Tassie and, possibly, a 20th side.

Brent Guerra reggie

Shaun Higgins

FB: Sheppard - Morris - B Scott
HB: Whitfield - C Bolton - J Lloyd
C: Mundy - Bartel - Sidebottom
HF: L Power - J Cameron - Treloar
FF: Elliot - Larkey - N Davis
R: Primus - Fyfe - Swan
Int: Fraser, Higgins, x, x

Fadge

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Medhurst
An excitment machine who could kick 40-50 goals in a year and control the air and ground a great player to bring off the bench in rotation with other smaller players.

Cornes
You may not like him but he was a hell of a player can tag or come off the bench. He is a 4 time best and fairest winner and in a side that was near the top and All Australian in those years as well. The only reason I got this steal is because people do not like him as a media man and personally I love the CORNNN.

Medhurst
An excitment machine who could kick 40-50 goals in a year and control the air and ground a great player to bring off the bench in rotation with other smaller players.

Cornes
You may not like him but he was a hell of a player can tag or come off the bench. He is a 4 time best and fairest winner and in a side that was near the top and All Australian in those years as well. The only reason I got this steal is because people do not like him as a media man and personally I love the CORNNN.
I did consider Cornes as it didn't worry me having an unpopular/abrasive player in the side.

With my midfield I simply thought adding him would keep it more one paced whereas LDU had a bit more burst/X factor potential. For my last midfielder I may add a more defensive player to balance things out.

With our 20th pick, the Collingwood Football Club select Will Ashcroft.

When too much running power is never enough in today's competition, we are super excited to add Will to the unbelievable midfield rotation of Bontempelli, Horne-Francis, Daicos, Rankine and Ling (with Gulden and Shuey on the wings).

As good as Sheezel has been, this player was the short priced Rising Star favourite before his 2023 season finished prematurely with an ACL injury, and I expect him to be one of the premier players in the competition for the next decade.

Remove this Banner Ad

21st Century draft - full 22 edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Back