Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

tXbJBXbU.jpg

Nick Blakey
Nick Blakey is a prodigious talent with a laser-sharp left boot, an outstanding overhead ability and searing pace. The QBE Sydney Swans Academy product booted 21 goals in 19 games in a brilliant debut season en route to winning the club’s 2019 Rising Star award, and while he added a lively element to the forward line last year, he’s likely to play on a wing or in the midfield in 2020. Nick is the son of former Fitzroy and North Melbourne champion John Blakey, who’s had a variety of roles on the Swans’ coaching panel since 2006.

Nick Blakey
DOB: 27 February 2000
DEBUT: 2019
DRAFT: #10, 2018 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: University Of NSW-Eastern Suburbs (NSW)

Last edited by a moderator:
Perhaps we have made it all too easy for Nick , because he is flashy etc but we picked him for games when he didn't perform early, he got contract extensions early, has a long deal, get his promotions, goes to the beach , gets to be the lizard and it's all just very casual and fun for him.
Reminds me of a young Joe Daniher Actually.

I don't think he's a downhill skier. I do suspect he is a bit mentally fragile. I want to believe he will overcome his fragility to become a club great.

128 games in, leaving it a bit late to become a club great.

128 games in, leaving it a bit late to become a club great.

Only 24 years old. All Australian. Adams Goodes medallist.

After Opening Night this year, Kane Cornes said:

"He's closing in on being a top-15 player in the League for me, Nick Blakey. I'm a huge fan of him. Every time I see him I think, 'wow, I'd love to have him in my team'.

"He's one of the most watchable players in the game and the sky's the limit on how good this guy can be."

You don't have to care what Kane Cornes said but the point is he is already a good player and has a lot of career in front of him. He can play another 200 games. His dad was a very durable player (played 359 games). Plenty of time for him to achieve a level comparable to many of our club captains and that's the kind of level I mean by club great. Heck, I'm happy to include the likes of Teddy, Reg, Smooch and LRT as club greats. I'm not talking Adam Goodes or even Paul Kelly level.

Players usually tend to play for frees when their opponents are going harder at the ball and being more aggressive. They feel a little contact and are looking for the umps to bail them out. There's a simple solution to the problem. And something that should be part of the team ethos, just go harder at the ball than your opponent and you don't have to worry about whether the umpire calls a free for you or not, winning the ball should always be your primary intention.

Playing for the free should never enter your mind, go as hard at the ball as you possibly can and win it on merit, that way you leave little to outside forces and take control of the situation.

If you're not hard enough. Hit the gym and come back stronger and stay hungry for the ball.

Liz has some great attributes. But he needs to toughen up and he can be anything, but he's a little too soft at the moment and that's why there's such a disparity between his best and his worst. I'd be willing to wager that his quiet games are those where the opposition puts a stronger body on him and it takes his focus off the game and he gets preoccupied with the dirty tactics of his opponent rather than what he needs to do to impact the game.

Last edited:
Players usually tend to play for frees when their opponents are going harder at the ball and being more aggressive. They feel a little contact and are looking for the umps to bail them out. There's a simple solution to the problem. And something that should be part of the team ethos, just go harder at the ball than your opponent and you don't have to worry about whether the umpire calls a free for you or not, winning the ball should always be your primary intention.

Playing for the free should never enter your mind, go as hard at the ball as you possibly can and win it on merit, that way you leave little to outside forces and take control of the situation.

If you're not hard enough. Hit the gym and come back stronger and stay hungry for the ball.

Liz has some great attributes. But he needs to toughen up and he can be anything, but he's a little too soft at the moment and that's why there's such a disparity between his best and his worst. I'd be willing to wager that his quiet games are those where the opposition puts a stronger body on him and it takes his focus off the game and he gets preoccupied with the dirty tactics of his opponent rather than what he needs to do to impact the game.
You just described 95% our our current list.

Only 24 years old. All Australian. Adams Goodes medallist.

After Opening Night this year, Kane Cornes said:

"He's closing in on being a top-15 player in the League for me, Nick Blakey. I'm a huge fan of him. Every time I see him I think, 'wow, I'd love to have him in my team'.

"He's one of the most watchable players in the game and the sky's the limit on how good this guy can be."

You don't have to care what Kane Cornes said but the point is he is already a good player and has a lot of career in front of him. He can play another 200 games. His dad was a very durable player (played 359 games). Plenty of time for him to achieve a level comparable to many of our club captains and that's the kind of level I mean by club great. Heck, I'm happy to include the likes of Teddy, Reg, Smooch and LRT as club greats. I'm not talking Adam Goodes or even Paul Kelly level.

All fair he has a lot of talent so am marking him harshly after the granny.
sorry

You just described 95% our our current list.
I've seen it in quite a few of our players. Warner and Gulden did it during finals as well, among others. I hate seeing it because is symptomatic of a player who is not going hard enough. If you haven't met the challenge with the right amount of aggression, make sure you bring it to the next contest. If a player is repeatedly looking at the umps then they're just soft and need to harden up. End of story.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #22 Nick Blakey: 2024 All Australian

Remove this Banner Ad

Back