Past #24: Levi Greenwood - officially traded to Collingwood FC for pick 25 (2014) - retires rd16 2021 due to concussion symptoms - go well Pig

Remove this Banner Ad

Just asked Robbo his thoughts on Levi's game on the Tackle. They published the question...GTFO!

12:01
spacer.gif

[Comment From Gasometer Gasometer: ]
Thoughts on Levi Greenwood's game Robbo?

Monday July 8, 2013 12:01 Gasometer

12:02
Robbo:
fantastic. was concerned about him, wondering where his football was going... not concerned any more. In NM's best 22

I thought he was gone as well !

Now a vital part of the midfield. 26 touches, 5 bone crunching tackles & a goal. Well played pig !

His tank is 1 of the best at the club as well...

I'll admit, I had thought his disposal was below the standard required. But Saturday's game showed that he brings a level of hardness and desperation we need. And his use of the ball was pretty good anyway! :thumbsu:

He is yet another example that a spell in the VFL, even a lengthy one, isn't the bolt to the head of your career. It is why I think out of form or inconsistent players should get the tap on the shoulder and guys who are playing well consistently in the VFL be given a go.

As I said previously.

It's amazing what happens when you reward someone who has been in very good form at VFL level.

It was long overdue and he has taken his opportunity with both hands and driven it into the ground.

I'm a Scotty fan, but he has stuffed up by not playing Greenwood. There are hard inside mids and there are very hard inside mids.....and then there is Ziebell and Greenhead.

If we go back to around Scotts arrival, there were many posts about his man love for Levi. Then why the hell hasnt Levi been dropped threads. Perhaps Scott had to show him tough love to get the most out of him. I was calling for Greenwood in when JZ was suspended so i do believe it a little late, but hey - he dropped an out of form Levi and brought back in a hungry one.

He is yet another example that a spell in the VFL, even a lengthy one, isn't the bolt to the head of your career. It is why I think out of form or inconsistent players should get the tap on the shoulder and guys who are playing well consistently in the VFL be given a go.
Ditto Lindsay's radio interview the other day ; discussing when he had the yips in 2011, he said he needed a spell in the VFL, and in hindsight the coach should have done it sooner.

Certainly delivered a big **** you to Brad Scott today.

Really? I doubt Scott sees it that way. Being human, he probably feels that he handled it perfectly, rightly or wrongly. He resisted the temptation to bring Levi back until after we plated the suns, knowing that Levi's pantsing by Ablett was what saw him dropped in the first place. He probably thought it would be no good for his confidence to suffer again at the hands of Gazza, so he brought him in the next week and has been rewarded with two good performances.

Like I say, if that's Brad's thinking he may or may not be right, but I doubt that Scotty was hoping Levi would be ordinary. I bet he's rapt for the bloke.

Lovable bloke on field.

Don’t think he’s a pure shutdown player and playing him as a “tagger” each week won’t work. He is a genuine inside mid that hurts players physically and can play smart football. Some of his handball’s in traffic were great - one to setup Ziebell(?) in particular, however there were a few - and the whole balance inside looks better with him in there. Dare I say he might just be one of the couple of mature midfielder’s that Snake_Baker was demanding we recruit. It will certainly help if we find one of them internally.

Dare I say he might just be one of the couple of mature midfielder’s that Snake_Baker was demanding we recruit. It will certainly help if we find one of them internally.
The best part about this is that he only just turned 24!! So he's still quite young in the grand scheme of things. A more then perfect age for a 'mature' midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we go back to around Scotts arrival, there were many posts about his man love for Levi. Then why the hell hasnt Levi been dropped threads. Perhaps Scott had to show him tough love to get the most out of him. I was calling for Greenwood in when JZ was suspended so i do believe it a little late, but hey - he dropped an out of form Levi and brought back in a hungry one.

I'm talking strictly about the 2013 season. Greenwood's VFL form has been equal to or better than other fringe players like Jacobs, Siera and Anthony that have been given opportunities ahead of him. I'm guessing Scott thought we had enough inside mids but it seems pretty clear now that we were lacking Levi's maniac desire and physicality in the guts. Swallow and Cunners are tough nuts but they are ball hunters first and foremost. Ziebell and Levi hunt everything.

Absolutely correct.

Gee I wonder which 90's center player for North Levi plays like = Steveo

It was a disgrace that Scott had this tough nut in the magoos when soft spanners like LA and Sirra was getting a game. He is genuinely tough, and with Jackie Z, makes opposition players look over their shoulders constantly.
He forces oppostion errors and tackles to hurt. LA could not tackle a 5 year old kid.

You should all look at the bump/tackle the meat grinder put on the so called tough Luke Hodge in Launceston 2 years ago. It was bloody superb. Levi does that every week. Hodge didn't know what to do.

Not a disgrace at all. He turned over the ball too much in his last games, as a heap of voices on this forum complained about. No one doubts his toughness. Its his disposal that was a problem. BS has coached him brilliantly - sent him back and said we can't play you until you're not a liability with the ball. Greenwood responded.

Lovable bloke on field.

Don’t think he’s a pure shutdown player and playing him as a “tagger” each week won’t work. He is a genuine inside mid that hurts players physically and can play smart football. Some of his handball’s in traffic were great - one to setup Ziebell(?) in particular, however there were a few - and the whole balance inside looks better with him in there. Dare I say he might just be one of the couple of mature midfielder’s that Snake_Baker was demanding we recruit. It will certainly help if we find one of them internally.

Agreed and think he does fill one of those spots. I too have been saying we need to recruit for the MF, i feel we have all other bases covered enough. As our form this year showed we're ready to take that next step, so its time to add a mature player or two. The beauty of Levi standing up is that its pretty well covered, perhaps one more but that should be from FA imo. Meaning we can continue to stockpile the best young talent we can via the draft.

You do realise Aaron black was averaging similar numbers and not much for goals in the VFL... Stats aren't everything

stats aren't everything but they tell us something. They tell us that Kennedy isn't ready. If we played him now we'd do him an injustice. What's wrong with making him wait until he's really playing well in VFL regularly? We want him to have a long career not a short one because he's been marked as insufficient on the basis of a few bad games in AFL.
Second to get him in, we'd have to take someone out, probably Spud. Spud is better than Kennedy at the moment.

stats aren't everything but they tell us something. They tell us that Kennedy isn't ready. If we played him now we'd do him an injustice. What's wrong with making him wait until he's really playing well in VFL regularly? We want him to have a long career not a short one because he's been marked as insufficient on the basis of a few bad games in AFL.
Second to get him in, we'd have to take someone out, probably Spud. Spud is better than Kennedy at the moment.

I hope not..

Remove this Banner Ad

Past #24: Levi Greenwood - officially traded to Collingwood FC for pick 25 (2014) - retires rd16 2021 due to concussion symptoms - go well Pig

Remove this Banner Ad

Back