AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far off the pace it’s not funny. I have my doubts he can make it at this level

Maybe the difference from a dominant VFL display that translate to AFL standard is most notable for rucks. Phillips today played similar to how Bryan played last week. Maybe it’s more a time at the AFL level that is needed for Bryan now?

Maybe the difference from a dominant VFL display that translate to AFL standard is most notable for rucks. Phillips today played similar to how Bryan played last week. Maybe it’s more a time at the AFL level that is needed for Bryan now?
No he’s a long, long, long way off it

He’s not ready, and you accept that when you pick him ahead of Phillips who many wanted in the bin going into next year but is clearly still better than him

He’s not ready, and you accept that when you pick him ahead of Phillips who many wanted in the bin going into next year but is clearly still better than him
The games where Phillips has played we have looked so much better. So has Draper. Phillips is a must for next year. Big bodied ruckman will help our development.

Bryan needs to spend preseason in the gym & most of next year in the VFL. English for the Dogs was skinny as early in his career, look at him now.

I still think Nick will come good.
Rucks take time to mature into their tall seize and really start to come good in their mid to late 20s.

Better to have Nick toiling away and building himself up for our future team rather than leave our ruck stocks to chance.

does he deserve one? not sure. i think you need to earn a spot. Richmond are going to come hard next week, it might be throwing him to the wolves and he looked like he needs another 2-3 years in the VFL

It's a tough one - he's been really good in the VFL, but then looked way out of his depth yesterday. I think I'd like to see him given a chance to make up for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He was very ordinary.
Personally I would play him again just to see how he responds. He has worked bloody hard in the VFL this year and earned his shot again. I suspect he was a bit shell shocked coming from a VFL team that has a hard working midfield and then being a part of the soft **** brigade that turned out for us yesterday.

does he deserve one? not sure. i think you need to earn a spot. Richmond are going to come hard next week, it might be throwing him to the wolves and he looked like he needs another 2-3 years in the VFL
He has earned selection. His VFL form has been great. Like the rest of the side he had a very poor game. The whole side was that far off the pace it was not funny.

English was being pushed around early days.
Bryan for me is still 2-3 years before i expect anything. Just keep exposing him gradually.
Spot on. You don't get many 20 year old skinny 6'8" guys who can step in & do well. Give the guy a couple of years & I reckon he could be pretty good.

Playing two rucks who have limited or no forward craft is always a risky business - Moreso when the opposing ruck dominates the game - We are wasting a spot in the 22 by having a second ruck.

Well yeh he’s 3 years younger than draper and Draper still isn’t a finished product. Ruckman take until they’re 25 or so
Most ruckmen take till they are around 25 till they become good AFL players. Most of the ones who are good at a younger age will become true greats of the game or have their careers ended early by injury. Most still need time to build their bodies up.

Most ruckmen take till they are around 25 till they become good AFL players. Most of the ones who are good at a younger age will become true greats of the game or have their careers ended early by injury. Most still need time to build their bodies up.
The ones that perform early are guys like grundy or Jackson who have elite athleticism and are almost just a tall midfielder. The classic style ruckmen, which Bryan is take years.

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back