AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Been a fair bit of debate on where Nick should be at come the end of 2023, I don't think talent is the be all and end all, nor the forward craft so many seem to obsess over. I feel it is his combative, or lack there of nature that is holding him back.
If he had more forward craft there would be no debate as to whether or not he's in the side.

Been a fair bit of debate on where Nick should be at come the end of 2023, I don't think talent is the be all and end all, nor the forward craft so many seem to obsess over. I feel it is his combative, or lack there of nature that is holding him back.
I feel it has just been development. He did not take a backwards step in the VFL this year and he rucked against some aggressive rucks and kept going all day.

Might have to do with body confidence. He's still a bit of a beanpole.

I don't think he lacks aggression. Flies in with his knees often. He lacks size, that'll come. I'm very happy with where he is at. Would be the height of stupidity to develop him this far and let him go right before he should be maturing into AFL football.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Encouraging headline but I am not sure it reflects the discussion.

Has Bryan actually been playing forward in match sim and drills?
Given he has missed a few with concussion he has not done a lot but he did play a bit forward in the sim he got the knock in the head .

He's looking good but still clearly struggling to make the weight.

You see how much thicker Phillips is all over. There's 5kg to 7kg of muscle in that.

I'm prepared for a frustrating season. Playing some footy in the 2s with Phillips would be a good thing. The next step in Bryan's evolution is to be a viable 1 goal a game, 2 contested mark forward.

I'm not worried about his ruck play because he's always been a natural, including the midfield running patterns that see him accumulate quite well when he's in form. We're really just waiting for him to grow into his body. Hence the likely frustration.

It highlights that there is a need to start the next project. There is basically a 4 year write off.

You see how much thicker Phillips is all over. There's 5kg to 7kg of muscle in that.

I'm prepared for a frustrating season. Playing some footy in the 2s with Phillips would be a good thing. The next step in Bryan's evolution is to be a viable 1 goal a game, 2 contested mark forward.

I'm not worried about his ruck play because he's always been a natural, including the midfield running patterns that see him accumulate quite well when he's in form. We're really just waiting for him to grow into his body. Hence the likely frustration.

It highlights that there is a need to start the next project. There is basically a 4 year write off.

Do we make 23 year old ruckmen and ruckwomen the all ages cut-off for rising star noms?

He's 4 years younger than Tim English who I see as a similar type player. English only really became consistent as of last year with intermittent form the previous two years. On that basis I'm only expecting Bryan to influence games in 2024 and start influencing seasons (multiple consecutive games) in 2026

It's funny isn't it. Was 87kg when drafted, now supposed to be 101 so he's put on ~15kg in three years. According to the official stats he's supposed to be 2cm taller than Phillips and the same weight, while Draper is 4kg heavier and another 2cm taller than Bryan.

Still looks like a twig next to them though, don't know where he put those kilos.

He's 4 years younger than Tim English who I see as a similar type player. English only really became consistent as of last year with intermittent form the previous two years. On that basis I'm only expecting Bryan to influence games in 2024 and start influencing seasons (multiple consecutive games) in 2026

That'd be a fair way behind English. He was pretty damn solid in his second year when injuries struck - and then was a genuine no.1 ruck in his 3rd year. I think the whole 'ruckmen take a bit longer' bit is overstated.

Bryan was healthy all year and was third in line in his 3rd year.

I think/hope Scott will give him more of a chance this year, but he isn't anywhere close to where English was at the same stage.

If he's stuck in the VFL all year again this year, he'd be crazy not to look for a move.

That'd be a fair way behind English. He was pretty damn solid in his second year when injuries struck - and then was a genuine no.1 ruck in his 3rd year. I think the whole 'ruckmen take a bit longer' bit is overstated.

Bryan was healthy all year and was third in line in his 3rd year.

I think/hope Scott will give him more of a chance this year, but he isn't anywhere close to where English was at the same stage.

If he's stuck in the VFL all year again this year, he'd be crazy not to look for a move.

In his 3rd season the Bulldogs were getting smashed each week in the hitouts departments, and English was a first round selection. It's very rare for a ruckman to be any good until they're 4-5 years in the system (sometimes longer). Beveridge steadfastly refusing to play a genuine ruckman was always a weird choice, English shouldn't have been playing as their first ruck in year 3 IMO.

In his 3rd season the Bulldogs were getting smashed each week in the hitouts departments, and English was a first round selection. It's very rare for a ruckman to be any good until they're 4-5 years in the system (sometimes longer). Beveridge steadfastly refusing to play a genuine ruckman was always a weird choice, English shouldn't have been playing as their first ruck in year 3 IMO.

Goes to show how useless hitouts are, doggies were still top 3 for clearances differential. Unless you've got Ryder or Sandilands, the hit out metric is only a small part of a rucks value.

Depends how you look at it - you could say English wouldn't be the player he is now if he didn't have that AFL experience early on.

Most successful ruckmen are getting proper AFL game time in their 3rd year - if Bryan isn't getting any in his 4th, I think he's gone. I really like him, I just can't see him sticking around if he's behind Phillips for another year.

It's funny isn't it. Was 87kg when drafted, now supposed to be 101 so he's put on ~15kg in three years. According to the official stats he's supposed to be 2cm taller than Phillips and the same weight, while Draper is 4kg heavier and another 2cm taller than Bryan.

Still looks like a twig next to them though, don't know where he put those kilos.

He's a beast compared to what he was which was more Zach Reid than not.

I find it hard to believe 30 year old ruckman aren't 110kg.

Pav played his career at about 100kg. I believe his weight because I've been built about the same. Guys like Begley, Voss, Stringer and even Peteacca all weighed in at 95kg plus, at different times, which seems right to me.

A 30 year old ruck is about as dense as Pav but between 11 and 15cm taller. It can't equate to a difference of only 1 or 2 kgs. Physical interactions between these players almost always follow the eye test (with the ruck dominating) but the taller guys tend not to be as strong as the 6'3 to 6'4 guy built like Pav or Paul Barnard. It's really only weight that accounts for the difference.

He's a beast compared to what he was which was more Zach Reid than not.

I find it hard to believe 30 year old ruckman aren't 110kg.

Pav played his career at about 100kg. I believe his weight because I've been built about the same. Guys like Begley, Voss, Stringer and even Peteacca all weighed in at 95kg plus, at different times, which seems right to me.

A 30 year old ruck is about as dense as Pav but between 11 and 15cm taller. It can't equate to a difference of only 1 or 2 kgs. Physical interactions between these players almost always follow the eye test (with the ruck dominating) but the taller guys tend not to be as strong as the 6'3 to 6'4 guy built like Pav or Paul Barnard. It's really only weight that accounts for the difference.

I'd think most are 105 - 115 - Natanui at 112kg and 202cm seems about right, he's a big unit, Draper seems 5kg under.

112kg - Nic Naitanui | AFL

111kg - Max Gawn | AFL

104kg - Brodie Grundy | AFL

110kg - Sean Darcy | AFL

105kg - Sam Draper | AFL

Pretty sure Hawkins has said he's under 100kg these days, so if that's accurate then Natanui being ~ 15kg heavier than Hawkins would be about right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back