Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
I disagree. Wicks had a good patch on the weekend but has been average otherwise. Fox has also struggled. Those are 2 I would have absolutely brought Parker in for.

you make a fair point (as others have also done) if taking things on face value ... parker is a better player than both, and better than several others (at least he was) but it's about how this team works as a whole, rather than the sum of the parts
parker would not be a direct replacement for either wicks or fox, for various reasons ... and the players he would be a direct replacement for (the likes of adams, rowbottom, jordon) are doing what's being asked of them, and plenty more, as part of the team
parker is a bit slower and his disposal is a bit haphazard, and bother of those issues would specifically be problematic the way the team is playing

Last edited:
Wicks doesn't provide pressure.
I can't find stats on it for this year, but his pressure often flies under the radar. In 2021 he caused the 2nd most points from pressure acts anyone had in a season from 2010-2022. He's playing better now than he was then IMO, the load is just shared more.

Provides way more than Parker would in that position and remind me how we went in the game we left Wicks out again...

and i think this pressure thing is detracting from wicks' general ability ... he's a better player than he's being given credit for, but doesn't play a role conducive to huge stats and multiple shots at goal every week ... but when he is involved, he's an excellent contributer and a good team player
go back a couple of weeks to the goal he and mcdonald in combination set up for hayward in the goal square ...
i think wicks is one of our most underrated players, even on this board

Provides way more than Parker would in that position and remind me how we went in the game we left Wicks out again...
I disagree!

And I don't think your point about the Richmond game stands up if you're claiming that he would have been the difference in a game that Heeney, Gulden, Warner, Hayward, Papley etc all played in. It was just a shocker all around.

Wicks doesn't provide pressure. He had a great game against the Hawks and a great third quarter against Carlton but you can't tell me he offers more than Parker.

Well you can, but I disagree ;)

Don’t think that is the choice. Sam and Luke offer quite different attributes on the fwd line.

Reckon LP will sometime this season share mid and fwd roles with Adams and Rowy.
I concede I'm getting a bit emotionally invested in this for reasons I'm not really sure of. I'm not trying to denigrate anyone's opinion so I'm sorry for coming across overly antagonistic.

You are fine.

I concede I'm getting a bit emotionally invested in this for reasons I'm not really sure of. I'm not trying to denigrate anyone's opinion so I'm sorry for coming across overly antagonistic.
Nah, you're all good. I think most (if not all) agree that Parker deserves more than to be playing in the reserves, and you're not being disrespectful in pushing that opinion. I think the problem is that most would also agree that the incumbents playing the role he would likely be playing (Rowbottom and Adams as Grand Uncle Horace mentioned) equally deserve their place in the team at the moment.

Basically, it's a good problem to have for really everyone but Parker and Sheldrick.

Am I still on BF?

What universe is this?

I disagree!

And I don't think your point about the Richmond game stands up if you're claiming that he would have been the difference in a game that Heeney, Gulden, Warner, Hayward, Papley etc all played in. It was just a shocker all around.

It sure as anything didn’t help that we left Wicks out for someone who wasn’t ready. Nothing will convince me that playing Parker as a small forward is a good idea he’s as slow as a turtle

and i think this pressure thing is detracting from wicks' general ability ... he's a better player than he's being given credit for, but doesn't play a role conducive to huge stats and multiple shots at goal every week ... but when he is involved, he's an excellent contributer and a good team player
go back a couple of weeks to the goal he and mcdonald in combination set up for hayward in the goal square ...
i think wicks is one of our most underrated players, even on this board

Yeah I’ve grown to him more this year and he does a lot more than the stats say at the game. Every side needs these players. Not dropping him at all

You're not being antagonistic, you're being passionate - and that's a wonderful thing!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My take on the incident:
  1. Without doubt accidental / careless - Parker has a very clean record and the shoulder part of the bump (i.e. the intended part) was okay
  2. However Parker is still responsible for other impacts, and he sent a bloke to hospital with the back of his head
  3. Parker’s action was about asserting physical dominance, not supporting play - the ball was well passed and the player he hit had dropped his guard like his part on the play had finished.
  4. In the weird combination of factors that can make up intent, my best guess is: (a) Parker was desperate to show he has what it takes to be in seniors; (b) he wanted to show leadership by helping the young swans learn how to assert physical dominance in the game; and (c) he was feeling frustrated with playing in reserves and was taking some of that out.
  5. Parker is used to playing at a higher level of physicality than the reserves and assumed a level of self preservation that was not there - I doubt if that play was at senior level the player would have dropped his guard and allowed his face to be smash into by the back of Parker’s head
  6. Unfortunately for Parker, point 5 counts for zilch. Duty of care rests with him once he chooses to bump.
I think 3-4 weeks is fair. I’m afraid it will be more like 5-6 weeks. Hopefully the swans can get it downgraded.

Given almost all head hits happen in bump related incidents, I really do think it would be simply for the AFL just to outlaw the bump - as league has done with the shoulder charge.

If I was a coach, I would ban my players from bumping. One of the worst reward vs risk plays in the game.

I disagree!

I get we were off, but sometimes you just win ugly. And that is probably the only game I have ever seen in my 30 years where I'm 100% convinced we lost due to that single selection. It should've been an ugly win.

The game was on a dime at the hands of an inexperienced and under paced Mitchell a few too many times in that second half.

I think 3-4 weeks is fair. I’m afraid it will be more like 5-6 weeks. Hopefully the swans can get it downgraded.

it's a utter minimum of 4 weeks now it's been sent to the tribunal. Feel 5 weeks will be the end result and that is about right. If we look at the incidents this year, Webster got 7 weeks for a crude elbow, it's not that bad, Brown got 4 for a slightly late and clumsy spoil/mark whatever. It probably falls somewhere in between the two as it's worse than Brown's one as it was ridiculously late and he could have easily pulled out. Think 5-6 is about right.

it's a utter minimum of 4 weeks now it's been sent to the tribunal. Feel 5 weeks will be the end result and that is about right. If we look at the incidents this year, Webster got 7 weeks for a crude elbow, it's not that bad, Brown got 4 for a slightly late and clumsy spoil/mark whatever. It probably falls somewhere in between the two as it's worse than Brown's one as it was ridiculously late and he could have easily pulled out. Think 5-6 is about right.
Minor details but Brown got 3 weeks (not 4) for what looked worse than Parker’s legitimate bump attempt. McCartin is still out after the late hit from Brown (will miss 5 weeks).

Amy more than 3 weeks for Parker is just tribunal shenanigans. Last year a Tigers player king hit a North player in the VFL and escaped with 3 weeks.

I worry the VFL tribunal will try and big note itself and rub Parker out for longer. He would have to be the highest profile player they would've had before them in recent memory.

My take on the incident:
  1. Without doubt accidental / careless - Parker has a very clean record and the shoulder part of the bump (i.e. the intended part) was okay
  2. However Parker is still responsible for other impacts, and he sent a bloke to hospital with the back of his head
  3. Parker’s action was about asserting physical dominance, not supporting play - the ball was well passed and the player he hit had dropped his guard like his part on the play had finished.
  4. In the weird combination of factors that can make up intent, my best guess is: (a) Parker was desperate to show he has what it takes to be in seniors; (b) he wanted to show leadership by helping the young swans learn how to assert physical dominance in the game; and (c) he was feeling frustrated with playing in reserves and was taking some of that out.
  5. Parker is used to playing at a higher level of physicality than the reserves and assumed a level of self preservation that was not there - I doubt if that play was at senior level the player would have dropped his guard and allowed his face to be smash into by the back of Parker’s head
  6. Unfortunately for Parker, point 5 counts for zilch. Duty of care rests with him once he chooses to bump.
I'd say if there was any frustration it would probably have been with the momentum of the game, given Frankston were well on top, and the score was 53-29

Minor details but Brown got 3 weeks (not 4) for what looked worse than Parker’s legitimate bump attempt. McCartin is still out after the late hit from Brown (will miss 5 weeks).

Amy more than 3 weeks for Parker is just tribunal shenanigans. Last year a Tigers player king hit a North player in the VFL and escaped with 3 weeks.

i think five weeks

I'd say if there was any frustration it would probably have been with the momentum of the game, given Frankston were well on top, and the score was 53-29
Great point.

I don't think Parker - or any footballer for that matter - just walks around every minute of the day with steam coming out of their ears because their career's in an undesirable place. During the game Parker's focus would've been on the game in front of him - what he had to do, what his teammates were doing, what he'd been preparing for throughout the week.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back