Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
That's one third of the season (with byes VFL teams only play 18 games).

I acknowledge the injuries suffered by the Frankston player and that Luke chose to bump, but what do the tribunal now hand down for a deliberate raised elbow or a king hit that results in similar injuries?

Under the guidelines it was a 4 week suspension, if not sent to the tribunal.
Yes the players have to be held responsibility for their actions, but with the lack of malice, the sentence seems harsh to me.

It's hard to see from the vision but if felt like a legitimate footy act gone wrong. Six weeks is a big penalty. The club is choosing not to challege though so maybe they think it's warranted.

Choose to bump you are liable. Bloke was 5m off where the ball was, brainless to put yourself in the situation.

I feel more for the player who is injured

I acknowledge the injuries suffered by the Frankston player and that Luke chose to bump, but what do the tribunal now hand down for a deliberate raised elbow or a king hit that results in similar injuries?

Yes the players have to be held responsibility for their actions, but with the lack of malice, the sentence seems harsh to me.

How long is the player he’s done it out for? Think of it that way. Look I feel ideally we’d have wanted 5, but this seems right. Webster got 7, he’s got less than that but more than the Wright suspension

How long is the player he’s done it out for? Think of it that way. Look I feel ideally we’d have wanted 5, but this seems right. Webster got 7, he’s got less than that but more than the Wright suspension
Believe they said 6-8 for Josh Smith to be out for (EDIT with Zita twitter update)

It wasn’t a malicious act. Terrible outcome for the poor player, not denying that. Brown gets 3 weeks - that was a deliberate act, Draper as well.

Doesn’t matter. You are liable if you choose to bump and make any high contact you out the bloke in hospital it’s more than the 3-4.

Believe they said 6-8 for Josh Smith to be out for

Then Parker getting 6 weeks is correct. Let’s take the emotion out here and think what we’d expect if the player was Gulden who was injured

Then Parker getting 6 weeks is correct. Let’s take the emotion out here and think what we’d expect if the player was Gulden who was injured
Yep once i saw the footage i said 5-6 and so 6 feels right in the ballpark, yes it bloody sucks but because of the injury he is liable for 6 weeks sounds fair. We just don't know the complete scope of suspensions because we haven't seen someone king hit someone in 2024. Once we see that and "hypothetically" get 15 weeks then we know what a deliberate act with severe injuries gets suspended for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's so harsh. Can't tell me there's a weeks difference between Websters deliberate hit and Shepherd gone wrong. I have no problem with him missing multiple weeks but that's harsh.
Imo its correct because Parker caused worse injuries but didn't have as poor intent to injure as Webster looked like so thats the reasoning behind a 1 game difference

Another way of looking at it, Brown got 3 while McCartin at best gets back in 5. You were happy for the Giants player with 3 weeks. Less time out of the game than the victim.

However for the Swans player you want equality with the impact to the victim is matched in the sentence.

Another way of looking at it, Brown got 3 while McCartin at best gets back in 5. You were happy for the Giants player with 3 weeks. Less time out of the game than the victim.

However for the Swans player you want equality with the impact to the victim is matched in the sentence.

At the time McCartin wasn’t out for that long let’s be real there and he doesn’t have facial injuries that require surgery. It was also vaguely in a contest. This was nowhere even near a contest not even close. You choose to bump you suffer the consequences it’s pretty bluntly simple- there’s a simple alternative that Luke could have done not bump

I knew it would be 6-7 taken into account the player involved and the significant injuries suffered from the Frankson player.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back