Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:

Naming him as emergency, then overlooking him to replace a bloke in his position, for a player who had been omitted an hour earlier, is stunning insult to injury.
Yep it's like we're trolling him.

Maybe he’s not good enough.
Good enough to be emergency.

I think you've made your point clear you don't rate Parker, you don't have to keep dipping back in with snark.

Yep it's like we're trolling him.
Or maybe it was part of the plan all along, and all players involved knew this? Parker knew he was never really in consideration, while Wicks knew that he'd be out if Heeney's appeal was successful.

Using an emergency spot as a rocket up the arse of a player isn't a new concept.

Or maybe it was part of the plan all along, and all players involved knew this? Parker knew he was never really in consideration, while Wicks knew that he'd be out if Heeney's appeal was successful.

Using an emergency spot as a rocket up the arse of a player isn't a new concept.
Rocket up the arse for who, Parker? The bloke who's been in the VFL all year?

Fair bit of bending over backwards from you. Only a few hours ago you were assuredly saying the plan was clearly Parker in for Heeney.

Good enough to be emergency.

I think you've made your point clear you don't rate Parker, you don't have to keep dipping back in with snark.
Hardly snarky.

Your obsession with him being harshly treated is borderline obsessive. You’ve shown yet again that you struggle with anyone else’s opinion that’s different to yours and you turn to personal insults.

Parker wasn’t picked end of story. Nonsensical dribble about him being trolled is more your hurt ego that he wasn’t picked.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We're talking about Parker being named an emergency.
ashep's original comment, which your comment was referring to, was also talking about Wicks.

Naming him as emergency, then overlooking him to replace a bloke in his position, for a player who had been omitted an hour earlier, is stunning insult to injury.

Maybe Wicks' omission was always conditional on Heeney's availability, and the purpose of it was not to troll Parker, but to put a rocket up Wicks' arse that he's on thin ice.

Hardly snarky.

Your obsession with him being harshly treated is borderline obsessive. You’ve shown yet again that you struggle with anyone else’s opinion that’s different to yours and you turn to personal insults.

Parker wasn’t picked end of story. Nonsensical dribble about him being trolled is more your hurt ego that he wasn’t picked.
Nonsensical dribble but you're hardly snarky. OK mate.

He's a legend of the club being run out of the club and will line up against us next year. That's a frustrating concept and you're basically laughing at anyone who thinks that. Amazingly this is a thread for discussing Luke Parker. I don't think it's particularly obsessive to discuss him in it. If you don't like it there's plenty of other threads for you.

ashep's original comment, which your comment was referring to, was also talking about Wicks.

Maybe Wicks' omission was always conditional on Heeney's availability, and the purpose of it was not to troll Parker, but to put a rocket up Wicks' arse that he's on thin ice.
Sorry I'm at a complete loss for what point you think you're making. Ashep and I were discussing Parker being emergency. Wicks' role in it is irrelevant.

Sorry I'm at a complete loss for what point you think you're making. Ashep and I were discussing Parker being emergency. Wicks' role in it is irrelevant.
Then you're actually at a complete loss for what ashep meant. They specifically referred to the fact Wicks was omitted and then brought back in over Parker, and you said "it's like we're trolling him."

If you think Wicks' part in it is irrelevant then what you're really saying is it doesn't matter who was picked over Parker - Parker simply being an emergency is the trolling part. Should his fellow subs McAndrew and Mitchell feel trolled as well then?

Then you're actually at a complete loss for what ashep meant. They specifically referred to the fact Wicks was omitted and then brought back in over Parker, and you said "it's like we're trolling him."

If you think Wicks' part in it is irrelevant then what you're really saying is it doesn't matter who was picked over Parker - Parker simply being an emergency is the trolling part. Should his fellow subs McAndrew and Mitchell feel trolled as well then?
No, I got it. The point being Parker was an emergency but was overlooked for the guy that just went out. Both of our point is there was no point making Parker an emergency.

No Parker is the 280 game veteran back from suspension being overlooked not them.

Er, no, I got it. The point being Parker was an emergency but was overlooked for the guy that just went out. Both of our point is there was no point making Parker an emergency.

No Parker is the 280 game veteran back from suspension being overlooked not them.
Why was there no point making Parker an emergency? Maybe he's the best of "the rest"? Is any tough selection call just "trolling" now?

Why was there no point making Parker an emergency? Maybe he's the best of "the rest"? Is any tough selection call just "trolling" now?

You said yourself that it seemed clear Parker should come in for Heeney and hasn't. It seems pretty rough to him to say "welcome back from suspension but the bloke who's been out injured all year leapfrogs you". I don't see a need for him to be the emg or if that was the plan, have him replace wicks as an emg after the suspension was confirmed.

Last edited:
You said yourself that it seemed clear Parker should come in for Heeney and hasn't. It seems pretty rough to him to say "welcome back from selection but the bloke who's been out injured all year leapfrogs you". I don't see a need for him to be the emg or if that was the plan, have him replace wicks as an emg after the suspension was confirmed.
If an emergency is called upon, then ideally you want that emergency to be your next-best player. Horse & co clearly think Parker is one of those next-best players.

And just because a selection call doesn't go my way, doesn't mean I consider the match selection committee to be "trolling."

If an emergency is called upon, then ideally you want that emergency to be your next-best player. Horse & co clearly think Parker is one of those next-best players.

And just because a selection call doesn't go my way, doesn't mean I consider the match selection committee to be "trolling."

I said it was 'like we're trolling' not actually trolling. I also just pointed out an exact scenario that covers what you're suggesting and doesn't give the indication that Parker is likely in this week.

I said it was 'like we're trolling' not actually trolling. I also just pointed out an exact scenario that covers what you're suggesting and doesn't give the indication that Parker is likely in this week.
What makes you think Parker had an indication that he was "likely in", just because he was named an emergency? The players know where they stand when the teams are announced. It would've been known to all who were included in the relevant discussions that either Wicks or Heeney was in the team this week.

It seems like you're projecting your feelings about the issue onto Parker. We fans aren't inside the inner sanctum so we don't know who the "back-up" option for Heeney's suspension is until we check our Twitter feeds or Bigfooty threads or the AFL app. The players who are there for all the relevant conversations actually do know.

What makes you think Parker had an indication that he was "likely in", just because he was named an emergency? The players know where they stand when the teams are announced. It would've been known to all who were included in the relevant discussions that either Wicks or Heeney was in the team this week.

It seems like you're projecting your feelings about the issue onto Parker. We fans aren't inside the inner sanctum so we don't know who the "back-up" option for Heeney's suspension is until we check our Twitter feeds or Bigfooty threads or the AFL app. The players who are there for all the relevant conversations actually do know.

Where did I say Parker thought he was a likely in? If anything I think it was actually you who stated, with some confidence, that clearly the plan was for Parker to come in if Heeney's appeal failed.

I'm not sure I'm projecting my feelings on this at all, I'm expressing my perspective on what happened, which is why I said 'it's like we're trolling him' not 'we're trolling him'. It's why I said I'm frustrated, not that Parker's frustrated (although I'd be shocked if he wasn't). I'm discussing, you know, my perspective on Luke Parker, in a Luke Parker thread.

So you reckon Parker's perfectly happy with the situation and not coming into the side this week? It's an interesting theory, and I guess we'll see where things stand post trade period.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back