Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry I thought you meant he was suggesting he wasn't coming in this week due to match sharpness.

Yeah this was my point the other day. I called it akin to "trolling" but call it what you want we made a mess of it.

Based on his comment to lynch he was absolutely unimpressed with being sub.

I just think you pick him or you don't . It worked out in the end, but we can't question how popular Parker is with the fans and playing group. I thought post Saints we needed that type of boost, so why heck around with it if you know what I mean.

Even if it was just known he would be the sub to comeback , still there .

The other thing we now did is probably muck around with Wicks confidence , out/in/out. The message to both players is we aren't really sure where you stand.

In another world Parker comes on lacks confidence , mis kicks it goes poorly etc.

Maybe I am overthinking it ? but regardless of my thoughts on Parker over the years as to if he is elite or not or slow or not, he seems to me to have the standing over a player we can just be clear publicly where he stands? But guess it doesn't matter . Just risky when so much of sport is mental , but maybe Parker is the type who thrives to prove people wrong? Wicks seems to me like someone who might be pretty shattered by how he has been in and out?, deserved to be dropped, but just ended up a chess piece imo.

He was very good when he came on today. It's hard to imagine us possibly using Parker better than how we used him today.

• Brought him on as sub so he was fresh and could have maximum impact.
  • Played him in the midfield but mostly as a physical enforcer, which we've really missed in there.
  • Meant that he could just throw his weight around at the contest without having to chase inside 50.

That's almost the blueprint IMO. Of course sub every week is not practical, so can always be swapped around with others like Adams.

Judging by Horse's presser, sounded like he was weighing up a few factors. First and foremost, he didn't want to muck around with a settled side. If Parker was coming in, it would be for Wicks who was going to be the sub. But then he didn't want Parker just coming on for a few minutes either as he wanted him to get a decent run. It almost sounds like Parker was the one to convince Horse that he didn't care and just wanted to be back amongst it with his team mates. In the end, Horse made the call to play him, McInerney got injured and Parker got a good run after all. Played well and now is back in best 22 contention. Happy days for all!

Judging by Horse's presser, sounded like he was weighing up a few factors. First and foremost, he didn't want to muck around with a settled side. If Parker was coming in, it would be for Wicks who was going to be the sub. But then he didn't want Parker just coming on for a few minutes either as he wanted him to get a decent run. It almost sounds like Parker was the one to convince Horse that he didn't care and just wanted to be back amongst it with his team mates. In the end, Horse made the call to play him, McInerney got injured and Parker got a good run after all. Played well and now is back in best 22 contention. Happy days for all!
That settled team had lost two in a row and looked poor for weeks before that. If you don't muck around then players get complacent as they think their position is under no threat. Concerning that that was his rationale but as you said, it worked out in the end.

I thought his settled team comment was when he was asked why Parker didn't play pre suspension.

Sounded like he was worried about fitness? As was sub or a full game to get well a full game in the VFL?. But then said he trained his **** off the last 6?

The implication to see me pre game and maybe I am taking license here, was Mills hit his "numbers" and Parker hadn't quite fitness wise?

Maybe they are worried he isn't up for four quarters yet? just speculating.

So maybe it was like Luke you can be senior sub, but you might get stuck as sub was the worry? He probably said well **** you Ill show you I am fit.

This was probably the best result (other than JM's PCL injury), Wicks did well in the twos (seemed like he got pulled at like half time), Parker had a great game and got some match fitness in, Mills had a decent introduction and we got the big three back. Will be interesting to see how the boys line up given i expect Mcinerney's to be a bad PCL injury

This was probably the best result (other than JM's PCL injury), Wicks did well in the twos (seemed like he got pulled at like half time), Parker had a great game and got some match fitness in, Mills had a decent introduction and we got the big three back. Will be interesting to see how the boys line up given i expect Mcinerney's to be a bad PCL injury
Yeah wicks is the forgotten man, not sure who he gets back in for.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Needs to get back to his 5 tackle a game average of 2023 as he is down 69% in tackles from 2023 --> 2024
But even then, what, Roberts out? Our forward line is suddenly stacked.

But even then, what, Roberts out? Our forward line is suddenly stacked.
It puts pressure on all the winger/half backs that they have to perform or else they will be the one that gets dropped e.g. Campbell, Roberts, Lloyd

Well done to Parks, he certainly took his opportunity with both hands today.

But will be good to see him play that well in a full fast-paced game against stronger opposition… if he can do that, I’ll put my hand up and say I was wrong about him 👍🤷‍♂️

Well done to Parks, he certainly took his opportunity with both hands today.

But will be good to see him play that well in a full fast-paced game against stronger opposition… if he can do that, I’ll put my hand up and say I was wrong about him 👍🤷‍♂️"
2 months later

"Well done to Parks on winning the Norm Smith Medal, but if he can do that 2 years in a row, I will gladly put my hand up and say I was wrong about him 👍🤷‍♂️

2 months later

"Well done to Parks on winning the Norm Smith Medal, but if he can do that 2 years in a row, I will gladly put my hand up and say I was wrong about him 👍🤷‍♂️
He just had a day out! He's 35 in two years! Absolutely cooked.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back