Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Hardly snarky.

Your obsession with him being harshly treated is borderline obsessive. You’ve shown yet again that you struggle with anyone else’s opinion that’s different to yours and you turn to personal insults.

Parker wasn’t picked end of story. Nonsensical dribble about him being trolled is more your hurt ego that he wasn’t picked.

don't mean to be pedantic ... well, okay, i do ... most obsessions are already beyond borderline obsessive

and more to the point, i find it very strange parker isn't straight in for heeney

I rekn we're overrating our memory of Parker a bit here. He's been a solid player but he has never been elite. He didn't truly break into our midfield until post 2017 when we started going down hill. It's not like he was an outstanding young midfield talent like the ones we have now.

He was late to break in and now he'll probably be early to be out. Just the way it goes unfortunately. He was built to be the 2020 version of the swans and I think that's what he still is.
Wow....he has been playing mid fielders since 2013.

I rekn we're overrating our memory of Parker a bit here. He's been a solid player but he has never been elite. He didn't truly break into our midfield until post 2017 when we started going down hill. It's not like he was an outstanding young midfield talent like the ones we have now.

He was late to break in and now he'll probably be early to be out. Just the way it goes unfortunately. He was built to be the 2020 version of the swans and I think that's what he still is.

I think that's a very strange recollection of events.

Although it is funny we have LPN1 saying he played midfield from 2013 and then you saying he didn't break into our midfield until 2018!

my very clear memory was that parker was one of those keeping tom mitchell out of the side (the others being jack, hanners, kennedy). Those four played ahead of mitchell each year until jack was done. i dont really see how we can say that parker was a 2017 player

Luke Parker finishing 2nd in the Brownlow in 2016 as a non-elite, non-midfield player is certainly quite the achievement.

I went back a year to see where the wider public audience viewed him; 27th best player in the league according to this.

Which isn't to say he objectively was the 27th best, but he was viewed as it by the wider footy audience.

He did win a B&F in 2014 and was very consistent since then with average possessions in the mid 20’s.

But those numbers have tapered off in the last couple of years which is natural for any footballer after the number of games he’s played.

He’s never been an elite midfielder like Josh Kennedy or Dan Hannebury when they were at there peaks but has always been very consistent.

I think that's a very strange recollection of events.

Although it is funny we have LPN1 saying he played midfield from 2013 and then you saying he didn't break into our midfield until 2018!
I meant as a full time mid. Before that he would rarely be starting mid. Most the time he was named on the half forward flank including the 2016 GF.

I meant as a full time mid. Before that he would rarely be starting mid. Most the time he was named on the half forward flank including the 2016 GF.

Right, which was my point against LPN1 that he played forward plenty. He was almost the inverse Heeney. Would start middle with a lot of time forward, Heeney has always played a lot forward with time in midfield. (Probably not a perfect 1:1 as Heeney played a lot less mid than Parker has played forward). But to say he only broke into our midfield post-2017 is wild.

No one's saying you have to be the best player in the comp to win the Brownlow, the point was he was playing predominantly midfield.

We can also pluck out the 3-4 non-elite players to win a Brownlow, but that doesn't mean the majority of winners haven't been elite mids. Neale, Cripps, Martin, Ablett, Mitchell, etc.

Right, which was my point against LPN1 that he played forward plenty. He was almost the inverse Heeney. Would start middle with a lot of time forward, Heeney has always played a lot forward with time in midfield. (Probably not a perfect 1:1 as Heeney played a lot less mid than Parker has played forward). But to say he only broke into our midfield post-2017 is wild.
Fairo just my opinion. I think he was played between positions because he wasn't quite at the level of our other mids at the time. Same goes for Heeney.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think some people need to check the stats behind Luke Parker as some of the conclusions are just statistically not true

He did win a B&F in 2014 and was very consistent since then with average possessions in the mid 20’s.

But those numbers have tapered off in the last couple of years which is natural for any footballer after the number of games he’s played.

He’s never been an elite midfielder like Josh Kennedy or Dan Hannebury when they were at there peaks but has always been very consistent.
You might like to check your stats continues to average mid 20's including last year and that dosn't count being in the top couple for tackles. Some times its easy to forget what a player has done over q long period of time.

Fairo just my opinion. I think he was played between positions because he wasn't quite at the level of our other mids at the time. Same goes for Heeney.

I think you're perfectly entitled to the opinion that he wasn't an elite mid (which I disagree with but that's fine it's your opinion), but I think you can't say he wasn't a mid, that's factual.

You might like to check your stats continues to average mid 20's including last year and that dosn't count being in the top couple for tackles. Some times it’s easy to forget what a player has done over q long period of time.
He’s dropped on average 4 possessions a game since 2021 season.

He also averaged a tackle less last year than in 2022.

The killer and probably why he’s not a walk up starter is that he’s dropped on average 2.5 contested possessions a game since 2021.

This is just a natural decline of a player who’s past his peak.

This is a Soviet era level rewriting of history.

The killer and probably why he’s not a walk up starter is that he’s dropped on average 2.5 contested possessions a game since 2021.

So Jack Viney isn't AFL quality anymore since he has dropped 4 possessions 2 CPs and tackles? But he is still AFL quality with near on the exact same stat line with worse disposal efficiency.

Are some people really, really trying to prove that Luke Parker hasn't been an elite midfielder for a very long time by throwing up a couple of surprising brownlow winners?

Pretty unimpressed with the VFL teams write-up too. Not one mention of Luke returning to side , but Lladdams , Sheldrick etc had a welcome back mention.
I know it was from a suspension & not injury, but still …?

You're cherry picking here.

You use 2021 as the possession benchmark because those were career highs, then '22 for tackles because it wasn't far off his career high. He actually averaged more tackles last year than '21.

On the whole, his 2023 numbers were very much aligned with his career averages. Nobody is saying he's still at his peak, but he certainly hasn't fallen off any sort of cliff.

Pretty unimpressed with the VFL teams write-up too. Not one mention of Luke returning to side , but Lladdams , Sheldrick etc had a welcome back mention.
I know it was from a suspension & not injury, but still …?

Parker not even receiving any love at VFL level...........

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back