Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not nostalgia from my perspective. Painting those who want Parker in the side as purely nostalgic is a mistake.

3 questions remain unanswered.
1. Is Adams a better fit for the team than Parker?
2. Will bringing Parker into the team create an inbalance in the team, or will it strengthen the team.
3. Are we guaranteed not to have any injuries to our mids for the rest of the season.

For those reasons, I think it's a must that Parker is given a run. And I hope the coaches have a plan for how they'll give Parker a go before we hit finals, because a failure to do so may cause issues if we cop injuries and need to call on a disgruntled Parker.
Or
4. Swans planned for life beyond Parker. Recruited Adams to take his place. However essentially as a Hybrid player. Swans go unprecedented run . Sitting clear on top of ladder.

Or
4. Swans planned for life beyond Parker. Recruited Adams to take his place. However essentially as a Hybrid player. Swans go unprecedented run . Sitting clear on top of ladder.

Adams is basically the same age ffs.

Sure.
Year younger
Less beat up.
Way way quicker .
Obviously recruited for a tilt at the flag .

Next..

Less beat up. :tearsofjoy: Parker has missed something like 1 game with a soft tissue injury in the last 10 years.

Obviously.. we needed more depth!

What are you on about? More players are hitting 300 games than ever before, and not sure why that has any bearing on the discussion as if he's out purely because he's almost at 300.

Who cares what year he was drafted? What year was Pendles drafted?

Delusion only from the bloke fixating on his age after the end of next season.
The only delusional aspect is you.

The best Sydney mid of this century only made it 290 games.

If your time runs out so be it.

The only delusional aspect is you.

The best Sydney mid of this century only made it 290 games.

If your time runs out so be it.

And his time has run out based on..?

I'm not suggesting he has a right to play 300, my contention was this notion that '300 is harder to hit than ever' which is patently false.

I rekn we're overrating our memory of Parker a bit here. He's been a solid player but he has never been elite. He didn't truly break into our midfield until post 2017 when we started going down hill. It's not like he was an outstanding young midfield talent like the ones we have now.

He was late to break in and now he'll probably be early to be out. Just the way it goes unfortunately. He was built to be the 2020 version of the swans and I think that's what he still is.
WTF did I just read? You do realize Parker was Brownlow runner-up in 2016?

I can't really buy into the theory that the Swans recruited Adams to replace Parker.

I think he was in our best 23 right up until he got injured and has basically just been a victim of circumstance ever since.

No one could have foreseen what Heeney and our midfield as a whole would do this year.

I'm convinced there's still a place in the best 23 for Parker. It's just a matter of timing.

Parkers most frustrating trait is his hack kick but he usually does it at AFL level when the speed is much faster and theres more pressure applied

VFL is played at a slower pace and in his few games this year, his hack kick is still prevalent as ever

It’s looking likely Parker wont get a game this year. His performances drop off in finals compared to HA season anyway so not a big loss but hes a long time veteran now and probs doesnt need much to come in to fill a role if we have more injuries

Yes hes a role player now

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stats for some other club legends in their last season.

Disposals/tackles/marks/clearances

Kieran - 10/3/2/1
JPK - 12/1.7/2.7/2
ROK - 11/2.7/2.7/2
Goodes - 15/2.2/5.6/1

Luke Parker last year?
24/5/3.7/5.5

Please stop perpetuating the rubbish that people are being blinded by nostalgia and that Parker isn't still a bloody good footballer.

He could have 45 touches and people would say "Yeah but it's only the VFL" ...
True, people would foam 9ver Sheldrick getting 30.

Stats for some other club legends in their last season.

Disposals/tackles/marks/clearances

Kieran - 10/3/2/1
JPK - 12/1.7/2.7/2
ROK - 11/2.7/2.7/2
Goodes - 15/2.2/5.6/1

Luke Parker last year?
24/5/3.7/5.5

Please stop perpetuating the rubbish that people are being blinded by nostalgia and that Parker isn't still a bloody good footballer.
So are you saying Parker is in his last season?

Seems harsh but your call.

I agree. Plus. No one knows what is going on in club land.
Needs more respect than saying he is in decline. He is key to our flag chances this year. Adams goes down he is straight in. Former captain kicking arse. The vagaries andnuances and ups and downs that can affect a team. He is a constant. You know what you are going to get. 100% hard arse Parker. Revving up the side. Kicking goals. Annoying pansy opposing players shirking it.
He is still the same Parker. Someone named Adams just took his dinky.
Parker needs his dinky back. I'm watching the reserves this weekend looking at Parker. He has to show Adams that it is his dinky. Simple as that. He needs to show the Swans squad that he deserves a place.
That is healthy. AFL teams don't survive on nostalga. AFL teams survive on on feild results and achivements.
Time is not kind to some. But some can defie time for a time. Some defie all and prove themselves.
What happens on field is what matters. Not last week or last year. Parker knows that. Everyone knows that.

look I don’t think it’s unreasonable to say he’s in decline (he’s 31), and I don’t think he’s ‘key’ to our flag chances - but I think he can definitely still make a big contribution.

Whether he will contribute more than say Adams, Wicks, Campbell etc is a reasonable thing to discuss. Let a thousand blossoms bloom.

But there are multiple people arguing he was never that good. Which is just ****ing weird.

Parker is in the same fringe bracket as Roberts, Campbell, Wicks, Fox and maybe Adams.

I’d be keen to give him a run to see what he’s got. If he fires then great, yet another swan ready for finals. Can’t see the harm in giving him a go, everything to gain and nothing to lose given ladder position.

Why are people so hell bent on the fact that he can't do a week or two in the reserves? I don't understand. Just quietly, if he is so arrogant that he feels he is too good to do the team thing and come back through the two's then I'm sorry, he isn't truly buying into the Bloods philosophy.

In reality, I believe Parker will do what he is asked to do, bide his time and get a shot when the time is right.

Last edited:
I can't really buy into the theory that the Swans recruited Adams to replace Parker.

I think he was in our best 23 right up until he got injured and has basically just been a victim of circumstance ever since.

No one could have foreseen what Heeney and our midfield as a whole would do this year.

I'm convinced there's still a place in the best 23 for Parker. It's just a matter of timing.
One of the reasons we went after Adams was the fact that we were decimated with injuries last year and we needed depth. We may still get injuries before the finals. Also, you're right about Heeney and his effect on the midfield. Theoretically, we still have 8 or 9 games left in the season. Let's see how this plays out. Parker can still be a huge in for us and he will be very fresh.

Why are people so hell bent on the fact that he can't do a week or two in the reserves? I don't understand. Just quietly, if he is so arrogant that he feels he is to good to do the team thing and come back through the two's then I'm sorry, he isn't truly buying into the Bloods philosophy.

In reality, I believe Parker will do what he is asked to do, bide his time and get a shot when the time is right.
I believe he has a place in this team but I have no problem with him coming back via the reserves either. Could potentially unbalance the team too much bringing both he and Mills in straight away.

I just cannot fathom how someone could have watched this guy play last year and conclude that he's not good enough to play senior football any more.

One of the reasons we went after Adams was the fact that we were decimated with injuries last year and we needed depth. We may still get injuries before the finals. Also, you're right about Heeney and his effect on the midfield. Theoretically, we still have 8 or 9 games left in the season. Let's see how this plays out. Parker can still be a huge in for us and he will be very fresh.
I just don't think you pay big bucks for depth, especially when it seems like at very least, we implied he would get more midfield time with us than at pies. I was baffled by the decision at the time, and still am.

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back