Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:

But he wouldn't even get a game elsewhere according to some...

Hopefully this Intel is a few weeks out of date and the club come to their senses after seeing what he still has to offer.

Should have come in after he dominated his first VFL game. Yes we were winning, but there were underperformers that should have made way for a club legend. If he leaves, the club have stuffed this.

There is still a significant role for Parker in the midfield sharing duties with Rowbottom. How often have we said that Rowy fades towards the end of games? Parker is more than capable of playing that exact same role. It's not the same that you would use Adams for, or Heeney or Warner or any of the occasional visitors. They are complementary.
Parker can rest forward and split maybe 40:60 with Rowy so he has a little less ToG%.
Players are not just one thing playing just one role.

It's amazing, only a few years ago I thought there was every chance he'd hit 350 games and perhaps push towards 400 with his lack of soft tissue injuries and flexibility with playing forward, but the end can come quickly for some I guess.

Pushing Parker out and keeping Adams? Downright craziness! I certainly hope not!
I've said it a few times now but never understood the Adams trade. Similar sort of player to Parks with his career at a similar point ie both being moved out of respective midfield at end of last season. Now it's pretty clear both are competing for the same spot (Forward / mid 70/30 split), especially with Papley due back for finals.

We have over a million tied up in two players, competing for one spot which is essentially a support role. In the final wash up of this, a club champion might be pushed out to finish his career elsewhere, even though (imo) he is a better player than his replacement. Crazy......

I've said it a few times now but never understood the Adams trade. Similar sort of player to Parks with his career at a similar point ie both being moved out of respective midfield at end of last season. Now it's pretty clear both are competing for the same spot (Forward / mid 70/30 split), especially with Papley due back for finals.

We have over a million tied up in two players, competing for one spot which is essentially a support role. In the final wash up of this, a club champion might be pushed out to finish his career elsewhere, even though (imo) he is a better player than his replacement. Crazy......

I know they get listed in a similar part of the team sheet, but I think Parker and Adams are very different players and both could have been in the team all year (when available).

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Adams and Parker thing is so odd, they don't play the same spot and the midfield constantly fell to crap last year, partly because we wore Parker down.

No player is bigger than the club. If he was just sitting in the VFL then trade him if you can get value .

But Who would want him in the sense that surely to lure him away you have to give him an extension, say 2 on top of the 1 he has. Then the risk is you are laying 34/35 year old guy for what he did at another club?

I think they will keep him unless he demands it, and probably if they keep him fwd/mid he hangs around for a bit less.

Be bold to trade a guy on the eve of 300 who may have 2 premiership medals and seems as loved on the field as he is in the stands.

If the club push for the trade and he just agrees it would want to be for a good reason, you would want to see if facilitate the arrival of something good. Everyone is signed up for next year (Chads contract would start after Parker finishes for example.

Maybe I am feeling romantic this week, though I did say pages ago, if he gets to 300 it should be in red and white.

Absolute worse case if he turns to poo next year there are worse blokes to play in the VFL mentoring anyway.

If he gives you 2 goals and 15 touches a game he might make 400 games anyway .

I find the whole Parker situation odd. I couldn't believe Horse kept him out of the team any longer than he had to, and persisted with playing him as the sub.

If it were a choice between Parks and Taylor, then Taylor makes way. And although they're different players, they're in direct competition for the role available in the team. Unless Horse wants to accommodate both, he can make it happen.

But seriously, it wouldn't surprise me if Parker was actively seeking a 2-3 year contract elsewhere at years end. Doesn't seem like he's valued by Horse, which I think is a mistake and Parker would be well within his rights to be annoyed with the way he was treated this year.

I know they get listed in a similar part of the team sheet, but I think Parker and Adams are very different players and both could have been in the team all year (when available).
There's not room for the both of them if we have everyone available. By the time you give on ball time to Heeney, Rowie, Warner, Gulden, McInerney and Papley, there's really not much time left for anyone else. Also not enough room forward for both of them. So sure they might play differently but they're competing for the same forward / mid role, which imo Parker is better. But I guess it's a good problem to have but if Parker isn't the favoured one and there's a better offer put there, I'd say he's too proud to just finish time in the VFL.

Good on him... now that he's reminding the club of his experience & impact he can have in a game, why not look to get some decent retirement $$ for his last few years. Probably a bluff/warning to club to show better appreciation towards a magnificent servant for so long. Surely he'll end up staying...we need to keep some old heads on the list to give the kids a clip around the ears when they lose focus.

Parker will be 33 at the end of his current contract. If another club wants to add multiple years after that go for gold.

Swans should be offering a 1 year extensions after a player hits their 30’s. We gave Rampe a 2 year deal and he’s missed through injury on 4 occasions over the last 18 months.

Parker will be 33 at the end of his current contract. If another club wants to add multiple years after that go for gold.

Swans should be offering a 1 year extensions after a player hits their 30’s. We gave Rampe a 2 year deal and he’s missed through injury on 4 occasions over the last 18 months.
Key words being at the end, i.e after the season. If he's no longer performing then we can let him go, if he is we can offer him a new deal.

I find the whole Parker situation odd. I couldn't believe Horse kept him out of the team any longer than he had to, and persisted with playing him as the sub.

If it were a choice between Parks and Taylor, then Taylor makes way. And although they're different players, they're in direct competition for the role available in the team. Unless Horse wants to accommodate both, he can make it happen.

But seriously, it wouldn't surprise me if Parker was actively seeking a 2-3 year contract elsewhere at years end. Doesn't seem like he's valued by Horse, which I think is a mistake and Parker would be well within his rights to be annoyed with the way he was treated this year.

If he wants 3 years more fool the club dumb enough to accommodate it.

Good on him... now that he's reminding the club of his experience & impact he can have in a game, why not look to get some decent retirement $$ for his last few years. Probably a bluff/warning to club to show better appreciation towards a magnificent servant for so long. Surely he'll end up staying...we need to keep some old heads on the list to give the kids a clip around the ears when they lose focus.

How have the club not appreciated him?

Would never bag him and would still love him like the Hawks still love Hodge

Yep
I mean he will be wearing one of those red jackets one day , a no brainer.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back