Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Adams was a good recruit but I question the fact that he's played every game he's been available since coming in while Parker has played VFL and started as sub multiple times.

If - and it's a big if - Parker moves on in part because the club says "you're going to be playing a bit of VFL and sub next year because we want to start Adams every game" that would be a mistake IMO.
He's only a good recruit if we're paying a wage in keeping with his role in the team (which we may be). Don't forget, he's signed for another 2 after this year as well.

Recruiting Adams was a good decision. We needed him this season, and he strengthens our list. But sacrificing Parker to allow Adams to keep his spot was a poor decision.

Parker should have been in and Mills should have been made to earn his way back in the side via the VFL. 4 games back + a week's rest and he's still trying to find form. Would have been better served playing the first 2-3 weeks in the VFL to get some touch back, especially given we had Parker just waiting there being forced to sit on the sidelines.

Recruiting Adams was a good decision. We needed him this season, and he strengthens our list. But sacrificing Parker to allow Adams to keep his spot was a poor decision.

Parker should have been in and Mills should have been made to earn his way back in the side via the VFL. 4 games back + a week's rest and he's still trying to find form. Would have been better served playing the first 2-3 weeks in the VFL to get some touch back, especially given we had Parker just waiting there being forced to sit on the sidelines.
I agree completely - Adams had a shocker last game and Parker showed the difference between he and Adams.

I wouldn’t rely on Parker in the mids, but as a defensive fwd swapping into the centre to give Heeney or Rowie a chop out I think is invaluable.

Not to many players less compromising than LP.

FWIW (which isn't much) I've heard the story about Parker being interested in a trade is news to Parker.

But my question would be: What else could the club do to satisfy people?

They have done their bit, they have Parker's signature to the end of next year (and we may recall some thinking even that deal at the time was overly-generous from the club.)

To even contemplate extending a player whose spot in the team over the next 12-and-a-bit months is anything but certain would be totally asinine.

So what else are they supposed to do? If Parker wanted to explore his options and leave, then that's on him. In that event, the club holding him hostage to his contract would be the greatest disrespect of a long and loyal servant to the club imaginable.

FWIW (which isn't much) I've heard the story about Parker being interested in a trade is news to Parker.

But my question would be: What else could the club do to satisfy people?

They have done their bit, they have Parker's signature to the end of next year (and we may recall some thinking even that deal at the time was overly-generous from the club.)

To even contemplate extending a player whose spot in the team over the next 12-and-a-bit months is anything but certain would be totally asinine.

So what else are they supposed to do? If Parker wanted to explore his options and leave, then that's on him. In that event, the club holding him hostage to his contract would be the greatest disrespect of a long and loyal servant to the club imaginable.
Luke Hodge is a perfect example , still loved as a champion Hawk , as would LP. Footy has changed

Luke Hodge is a perfect example , still loved as a champion Hawk , as would LP. Footy has changed
I'd have no problem with it. I'm saying people are bagging the club but they haven't even done anything yet. He's contracted, so if he wants to leave then it's his decision.

I'd have no problem with it. I'm saying people are bagging the club but they haven't even done anything yet. He's contracted, so if he wants to leave then it's his decision.
I'm not sure I follow your point. No one has mentioned his contract situation as the issue.

I won't speak for anyone else, but I'm bagging the club for playing him in the VFL and starting him as sub behind players who contributed zero.

If that contributes to him wanting out then the club have stuffed it. If the Adams contract influences the club's decision going forward, that's even worse.

Now, if he actually does want to go, then yes, the right thing to do is trade him and I'm sure the club would facilitate that. It hasn't happened yet so I don't think anybody is preemptively having a go for the way they've yet to handle that situation.

Last edited:
I won't speak for anyone else, but I'm bagging the club for playing him in the VFL and starting him as sub behind players who contributed zero.

If that contributes to him wanting out then the club have stuffed it.

Now, if he actually does want the go, then yes, the right thing to do is trade him and I'm sure the club would facilitate that. It hasn't happened yet so I don't think anybody is preemptively having a go for the way they've yet to handle that situation.

Happy for you to speak for me as that's the exact same reason as me. Not some anticipation of what will happen when he's out of contract at the end of next season.

If that contributes to him wanting out then the club have stuffed it. If the Adams contract influences the club's decision going forward, that's even worse.

Now, if he actually does want the go, then yes, the right thing to do is trade him and I'm sure the club would facilitate that. It hasn't happened yet so I don't think anybody is preemptively having a go for the way they've yet to handle that situation.
What was interesting was when LP was playing in the seconds, reports were he was stinking it up.

At that time preferring Adams over Parker made some sense.

Move on, Parkers in the 1sts showing Adams how it’s done -

Now either Horse doesn’t get Parker’s combative nature - or the selection committee was afraid of looking stupid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What was interesting was when LP was playing in the seconds, reports were he was stinking it up.

At that time preferring Adams over Parker made some sense.

Move on, Parkers in the 1sts showing Adams how it’s done -

Now either Horse doesn’t get Parker’s combative nature - or the selection committee was afraid of looking stupid.
What reports were those? I think you've made that up.

On BF! But yes, I need to make stuff up all the time to impress people like you. 🤦‍♂️

What's impressing people got to do with anything?

Parker won us the game against North after the siren, and was averaging high numbers in his VFL games prior to his suspension, so the suggestion he was 'stinking it up' is complete rubbish. Relying on the word of some BF nuffs is hardly making a case.

What's impressing people got to do with anything?

Parker won us the game against North after the siren, and was averaging high numbers in his VFL games prior to his suspension, so the suggestion he was 'stinking it up' is complete rubbish. Relying on the word of some BF nuffs is hardly making a case.
I wasn’t trying to make a case against Parker - so thats your first cluster.

There were several comments on this thread prior to Parkers suspension that his performance in the ressies was ‘sub-par’.

I took that to be factual, as I would see no reason to lie about it.

Now - The sentiment of my comment was that as soon as LP got his chance, he showed what level of footballer he is.

So….some champs respond to the challenge and I think the selection team forgot that.

This will be the last time I bother setting you straight -Try being a little less precious and work harder on understanding context.

I wasn’t trying to make a case against Parker - so thats your first cluster.

There were several comments on this thread prior to Parkers suspension that his performance in the ressies was ‘sub-par’.

I took that to be factual, as I would see no reason to lie about it.

Now - The sentiment of my comment was that as soon as LP got his chance, he showed what level of footballer he is.

So….some champs respond to the challenge and I think the selection team forgot that.

This will be the last time I bother setting you straight -Try being a little less precious and work harder on understanding context.
Precious? Only one precious here is you having a meltdown over me saying reports he stunk up the VFL can't have been factual. Based on, you know, the actual evidence to the contrary.

Precious? Only one precious here is you having a meltdown over me saying reports he stunk up the VFL can't have been factual. Based on, you know, the actual evidence to the contrary.
Call me strange, but I dislike being accused of making things up.

The rest has been explained - so this is one tantrum you’ll have to have solo.

The HF role requires you to have a burst of speed to turn a turnover into a score and also run up and down the field all game.

Hawthorn's HFs does this the best in the comp.

Adams and Parker aren't competing for the same spot. Parker is not expected to fit that mould, but at least Adams played it for Collingwood last year and was pretty effective at it.

If anything Parker's role in the mids relies on a Rowy/Heeney to be injured or someone like Hayward to be injured to play 3rd fwd.

Parker is good depth to have - he will always apply pressure to the 18-25th players in the side to have a higher bar. I rather keep Parker than let him go.

The HF role requires you to have a burst of speed to turn a turnover into a score and also run up and down the field all game.

Hawthorn's HFs does this the best in the comp.

Adams and Parker aren't competing for the same spot. Parker is not expected to fit that mould, but at least Adams played it for Collingwood last year and was pretty effective at it.

If anything Parker's role in the mids relies on a Rowy/Heeney to be injured or someone like Hayward to be injured to play 3rd fwd.

Parker is good depth to have - he will always apply pressure to the 18-25th players in the side to have a higher bar. I rather keep Parker than let him go.
Might you be forgetting the job LP did last week as a defensive fwd on Howe?

Might you be forgetting the job LP did last week as a defensive fwd on Howe?
Even against Port he was mown down by Aliir chasing a loose ball yet managed to win the contest then hit a target inside 50.

He might not be the archetypal HF but sometimes the ability to just compete and play footy wins out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back