Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
He was non-existent in the first half. Didn’t touch the ball in the first quarter.

Seems to really struggle to get into games.

Solid second half but he sets a low base after the first half that things couldn’t get any worse in the second.
When was he good enough for you?

Please tell me when in that part ( yes that part) the other front half players were better?

When was he good enough for you?

Please tell me when in that part ( yes that part) the other front half players were better?
He is probably one of the Wicks tragics that just want his phantom pressure into the side whereas we have been calling out for a goal scoring forward and found it in Parker

He is probably one of the Wicks tragics that just want his phantom pressure into the side whereas we have been calling out for a goal scoring forward and found it in Parker
I actually wanted Wicks ahead of Parker in the forward line. Because I thought structurally we needed a quicker small forward to crumb ground balls and chase players down.

But Parker has been good the last 2 weeks and able to impact the game in key moments in a way Wicks has not been able to.

Though I thought Campbell and Cleary were important structurally tonight in providing some run in the forward line to complement Parker.

Parker is THE man. He IS a game changer. In important moments HE stands up and DELIVERS.

3 goals at important moments.

He doesn't run fast. His kicking in general play is just kick it forward and hope.

BUT

He is tough as.
He takes valuable marks.
He punishes opponents.
He requires the opposition to match up on him. He draws them in.
He motivates his team mates with deeds and celebrates with them.
He is a match winner.

What's that got to do with Parker though? He was sat up forward.. As soon as he went into the middle in the third everything turned around.
See isn’t this the point and it’s not in Parker. The midfield/forwards coach has got to get him into the guts earlier. He’s too slow to play forward with McDonald McLean and amartey. He’s a fourth tall or even a third tall. Cleary Hayward are doing all of the work.. but because he is such a straight kick at goal he will make the most of the chances

but let’s be clear. We were lucky to be playing against a team that is truly horrible in the back half and unable to get out of their own way in the front half.

The idiot coaches have got to change the structure and treat him as a tall and get another runner down there earlier

The banter in this thread has been good fun all year, but it's very odd that a few are simply incapable of saying he's been good, if not downright critical the last couple of weeks.

Had an ordinary first half last night but in the second he played the hybrid forward/mid role to perfection.

If he kicks one goal next week he'll have kicked as many as he did in a full season last year. Many of us called for him to play that forward role but people claimed he couldn't do it and his goal kicking exploits in previous years were just one-off 'days out'.. Not sure how hard it is to just hold your hand up but some seem incapable.

He is a centre square midfielder and he gives us a better chance of first use out of the centre.

He seems like the perfect switch for Jordon. Parker takes the centre contest and then switches with Jordon who then performs the midfield tag on their best mid.

He is a centre square midfielder and he gives us a better chance of first use out of the centre.

He seems like the perfect switch for Jordon. Parker takes the centre contest and then switches with Jordon who then performs the midfield tag on their best mid.
Yeah that's very much what we were doing with Jordon earlier in the year anyway. I think it was the Walsh tag from memory where Jordon would start at centre half forward and then just go straight to Walsh as soon as the ball was bounced. Would work perfectly with Parker in the mids.

Nice! What do we do when we are trying to lock the game down and halt opposition momentum?

I'm not having a go here, I love Parker... and I really don't want to lose him. In the square he's brilliant, but when the oppos gets a run, he's trailing and generally too far away for pressure.

Would really like your opinion on how to play him throughout the game... please?

I don't know whether that is deliberate.

Whether Parker may not be effective running out the full game in midfield. So they play him in the forward line mostly then switch him to the mids later in the game when opposition mids are not as fresh. So he is more likely to have an impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't know whether that is deliberate.

Whether Parker may not be effective running out the full game in midfield. So they play him in the forward line mostly then switch him to the mids later in the game when opposition mids are not as fresh. So he is more likely to have an impact.
I’m just saying that’s what I would do with him… have him in the midfield mix earlier, not exclusively

Nice! What do we do when we are trying to lock the game down and halt opposition momentum?

I'm not having a go here, I love Parker... and I really don't want to lose him. In the square he's brilliant, but when the oppos gets a run, he's trailing and generally too far away for pressure.

Would really like your opinion on how to play him throughout the game... please?
Have to take the good with the bad with any player. Parker is net positive to the team.

If our inside 50s are better, then less issue with Parker trailing.

75% game time split between forward and mid. Treat him as a medium marking forward rather than a small. Short bursts in the mids, mainly through the centre bounce. Forward 50 stoppages he plays a mid role.

Id keep him in the team over Adams and if that means Adams needs to be replaced with a quicker small… so be it.

Musing, but he clearly has a role to play this year.

Have to take the good with the bad with any player. Parker is net positive to the team.

If our inside 50s are better, then less issue with Parker trailing.

75% game time split between forward and mid. Treat him as a medium marking forward rather than a small. Short bursts in the mids, mainly through the centre bounce. Forward 50 stoppages he plays a mid role.

Id keep him in the team over Adams and if that means Adams needs to be replaced with a quicker small… so be it.

Musing, but he clearly has a role to play this year.

Personally I'd be devastated for the guy given what happened last year but you can see it coming to this if we have close to a completely fit list to choose from soon.

Parker's been very good when he's gone into the centre the last few weeks, but I think it's worth considering why.

Of the 54 midfielders in the comp in the top 3 at their club for CBAs, less than half of them (26) are in the top 5 at their club for centre clearances per CBA.

More than half the teams in the competition only have one of their top 3 CBA midfielders in their top 5 for centre clearances per CBA.

Only two teams (Fremantle & Geelong) have a top 3 CBA midfielder for them as their number one player for centre clearances per CBA.

The other 16 teams' top centre clearances per CBA player include names like Max Michalanney, Cam Rayner, Harry McKay, Steele Sidebottom, Bailey Humphrey, Dylan Moore, Harry Sheezel, Jason Horne-Francis, Marlion Pickett, Liam Stocker, Tyler Brockman and Rhylee West. All flanker/wingman/forward types that get spins through the centre occasionally as a left-field option.

Our top centre clearances per CBA player this year is... Luke Parker. Who is basically playing as a flanker/forward type. Our top centre clearances per CBA player last year was... Tom Papley.

All of this is to say that I think a key to maximum impact at centre bounces is an element of unpredictability. That is Parker's edge right now. Teams have done their homework on Heeney/Rowbottom/Warner and figured them out somewhat, whereas Parker is now the wildcard. Use him any more and they'll figure him out, too. Just like they have in previous years when Parker was a midfield mainstay.

So I think we have Parker's balance just right at present.

Parker's been very good when he's gone into the centre the last few weeks, but I think it's worth considering why.

Of the 54 midfielders in the comp in the top 3 at their club for CBAs, less than half of them (26) are in the top 5 at their club for centre clearances per CBA.

More than half the teams in the competition only have one of their top 3 CBA midfielders in their top 5 for centre clearances per CBA.

Only two teams (Fremantle & Geelong) have a top 3 CBA midfielder for them as their number one player for centre clearances per CBA.

The other 16 teams' top centre clearances per CBA player include names like Max Michalanney, Cam Rayner, Harry McKay, Steele Sidebottom, Bailey Humphrey, Dylan Moore, Harry Sheezel, Jason Horne-Francis, Marlion Pickett, Liam Stocker, Tyler Brockman and Rhylee West. All flanker/wingman/forward types that get spins through the centre occasionally as a left-field option.

Our top centre clearances per CBA player this year is... Luke Parker. Who is basically playing as a flanker/forward type. Our top centre clearances per CBA player last year was... Tom Papley.

All of this is to say that I think a key to maximum impact at centre bounces is an element of unpredictability. That is Parker's edge right now. Teams have done their homework on Heeney/Rowbottom/Warner and figured them out somewhat, whereas Parker is now the wildcard. Use him any more and they'll figure him out, too. Just like they have in previous years when Parker was a midfield mainstay.

Now you appreciate and approve when it suits you

Personally I'd be devastated for the guy given what happened last year but you can see it coming to this if we have close to a completely fit list to choose from soon.
Yeah, it is unfortunate for him and on a personal note it’s disappointing for him it may end up that way.

But I do feel like some players may quickly go past him and may offer more to the team as a whole.

It’s a shame, but that’s professional sport and emotions need to be taken out of it.

Pretty handy depth still worst case.

Maybe it's just that he's good at it as evidenced by the fact that he's been our top clearance player for the past 3 years.

Parker has been playing the same way in the middle for a decade - see ball, get ball, bang ball on boot. I think teams know this so it's less about unpredictability and more to do with the fact that they can't stop him.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back