Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
I think this is pretty obvious. Plays forward for a half, kicks a few snags, then into CB for second half and helps unleash Heeney and Chad.
I posited a similar sort of idea last year (before the recruitment of Adams and the move of Heeney into the mids, so substitute Sheldrick in this equation for those guys.)

The general idea being that we always have fit and firing and relatively fresh mids in there at all times.

I still like the idea of change-overs during games. The best example would be with Parker & Sheldrick next year. They appear to play a similar style but one is too old to hammer out four quarter efforts week in week out; the other too young. Play Parker forward and Sheldrick in the midfield in the first half of games. After half time, they switch. The kid can impact in the first half, work with our other young mids, etc. The leader then enters the fray with relatively fresh legs for the second half when we may need his experience.

Imagine being a tiring midfielder in the third quarter and seeing a relatively rested Luke Parker join you at a centre bounce for the first time in the game.

I'm talking about this year and how he fits into the mix for the rest of this season.
I know but I don't think his impact is due to unpredictability or keeping the opposition guessing.

He's just still really good.

Now, his rotations are certainly keeping him fresh, but that's got nothing to do with opposition teams not knowing how to cover him.

They've done their homework on Parker for a decade. He's just still really good.

I know but I don't think his impact is due to unpredictability or keeping the opposition guessing.

He's just still really good.

Now, his rotations are certainly keeping him fresh, but that's got nothing to do with opposition teams not knowing how to cover him.

They've done their homework on Parker for a decade. He's just still really good.
How do you know? He hasn't played a full game in the mids yet this season. He's only played the left-field role that's been proven to be effective for many other players who may otherwise struggle for impact over the course of an entire game.

I guess my point is that his current balance is working for him. He's taking marks inside 50 and kicking important goals playing as a pure forward, and then going into the mids unquestionably fresher than if he was in there all game. Why change it?

I don't get this idea that opposition coaches have no clue how to stop Parker, a 290 game veteran, just because he had a half season holiday. Maybe it's just hard to stop him?

Could be the x factor towards a potential premiership who knows.

I think since that elim final last year, alot of people including myself wanted him playing majority forward this year. 22 odd rounds later its finally happened, great presence up forward but can also win important clearances when thrown inside.

It's something we didn't have in the first half of the season, Horse is right I think we just have to enjoy the moment.

Have made my thoughts on Parker clear but the commentary from pundits around Parker has been weird.

"He can be that grunt player", "He doesn't have the legs for the outside anymore so he can become that inside player now"

The ****?

What Parker have I been watching for the last 12 years??

Have made my thoughts on Parker clear but the commentary from pundits around Parker has been weird.

"He can be that grunt player", "He doesn't have the legs for the outside anymore so he can become that inside player now"

The ****?

What Parker have I been watching for the last 12 years??

Who said that?

I dont know what the optimal mid/fwd ratio is for Parker, but I'd have it somewhere around the 50/50 mark.

I personally don't see him as a forward who will have runs in the middle at points during the game. I think he adds a lot of value in both parts of the field.

I would have Parker lining up in the centre square in the GF (if we make it). Move him up forward afterwards if you want. But I'd have him in there from the start. He's one midfielder that can absolutely set the tone from the opening bounce (alongside Rowbottom), and let the Chad's and JMacs run it forward from there.

I dont know what the optimal mid/fwd ratio is for Parker, but I'd have it somewhere around the 50/50 mark.

I personally don't see him as a forward who will have runs in the middle at points during the game. I think he adds a lot of value in both parts of the field.

I would have Parker lining up in the centre square in the GF (if we make it). Move him up forward afterwards if you want. But I'd have him in there from the start. He's one midfielder that can absolutely set the tone from the opening bounce (alongside Rowbottom), and let the Chad's and JMacs run it forward from there.
Let Parker and Rowbottom share the grunt work in the CBAs. Parker can go forward and JJ can latch onto his target. Rowy can stick with the mid group. Adams can relieve them when they go to the bench.
Heeney and Warner and occasional visitors can continue to do what they do.
Don't try to complicate things.

One of the guys on one of those Fox shows

Narrows it down haha.

Just curious because I hadn't heard it. First Crack were pretty positive on his forward role and suggesting Adams is the one to make way when everyone's fit.

I seriously doubt anyone but Heeney, Rowbottom & Warner will be in Horse's starting midfield in any final or grand final. He's shown almost no inclination to deviate from that trio this year. Rightfully so to a certain point I guess, but geez I reckon we passed that point a few weeks ago at least.

Narrows it down haha.

Just curious because I hadn't heard it. First Crack were pretty positive on his forward role and suggesting Adams is the one to make way when everyone's fit.
Sorry I genuinely can't remember who it was on this occasion. Have heard a few of them using similar rhetoric around Parker throughout the year so they've all morphed into one!

Fox tend to translate their shows into articles though so I'm sure it'll surface via that medium soon!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I seriously doubt anyone but Heeney, Rowbottom & Warner will be in Horse's starting midfield in any final or grand final. He's shown almost no inclination to deviate from that trio this year. Rightfully so to a certain point I guess, but geez I reckon we passed that point a few weeks ago at least.
I wouldn't mind a CBA with Heeney, Parker & Rowbottom with Chad & JMac running in as wingers and Gulden roaming the field from HF.

I'm not saying exclusively, but that to me is one hell of a set up.

Then switch it up, have Parker playing at HF with Gulden going to the wing, Chad in the middle.

Throw Heeney up forward to wreak havoc for a while.

Then have Paps go in for a bit of a spark.

Pretty dynamic set up if you ask me.

I'd be keeping Mills at HB this year. Adams off the bench or interchange, feels a little superfluous to me given everyone else's form.

But if that's what he wants then it's best we let him do it.
Like Hanners & Malceski, he's always a Swan. Same as Hodge from Hawks.
I might be completely wrong but I get a vibe that he’s being nudged.

Hanners and Malceski were offered longer term deals by other clubs at ages where they could have had a fair bit of footy left in them but the Swans had doubts over whether their bodies would hold up. In both cases I think the Swans’ doubts were shown to be justified.

Hodge (and Sam Mitchell and Jordan Lewis) were nudged out of a Hawks side that had enjoyed a golden era but that was ageing and needed to refresh. I don’t see our list as in a similar position. We still rely on some players in the second half of their careers - Heeney, Papley, Mills - but they all should have several good years in front of them. We have plenty of younger players holding down critical roles, and we’re drip feeding in younger players beneath them (eg Jordon and Roberts this season; Cleary looking likely; Corey possible). Yes, we have to find replacements for Rampe, Lloyd, Cunningham, Parker. And you can add Grundy now to that list. But with the exception of Grundy, they are no longer the bricks around which the team is built. So I don’t think there’s a list need to get rid of them prematurely. Indeed, the justification for getting Adams to the club was to get more experience.

I think it is probably fair that Parker is no longer capable of being the main guy in the midfield. He had a purple patch in the middle of last season, but that came after a slow start to the season and he looked banged up by the end. But if he still has his heart set on being that main man in the middle for another couple of years, I suspect he’ll be disappointed whether that’s at Sydney or elsewhere.

I’m holding out hope that both he and the Swans can get their heads around him following the Jude Bolton path and extending his career (in Sydney) as a medium sized forward who can be sent into the middle at times of need. Bolton adapted very well and improved his goal kicking enough to become a very handy forward. Parker is already a much better kick for goal than Jude was at the equivalent stage, and while both were (are) good overhead marks for their size, right throughout their careers, I rate Parker slightly higher in that facet. I think it’s a role that he could excel in, and the evidence of the last two weeks supports that.

Last edited:

Hanners and Malceski were offered longer term deals by other clubs at ages where they could have had a fair bit of footy left in them but the Swans had doubts over whether their bodies would hold up. In both cases I think the Swans’ doubts were shown to be justified.

Hodge (and Sam Mitchell and Jordan Lewis) were nudged out of a Hawks side that had enjoyed a golden era but that was ageing and needed to refresh. I don’t see our list as in a similar position. We still rely on some players in the second half of their careers - Heeney, Papley, Mills - but they all should have several good years in front of them. We have plenty of younger players holding down critical roles, and we’re drip feeding in younger players beneath them (eg Jordon and Roberts this season; Cleary looking likely; Corey possible). Yes, we have to find replacements for Rampe, Lloyd, Cunningham, Parker. And you can add Grundy now to that list. But with the exception of Grundy, they are no longer the bricks around which the team is built. So I don’t think there’s a list need to get rid of them prematurely. Indeed, the justification for getting Adams to the club was to get more experience.

I think it is probably fair that Parker is no longer capable of being the main guy in the midfield. He had a purple patch in the middle of last season, but that came after a slow start to the season and he looked banged up by the end. But if he still has his heart set on being that main man in the middle for another couple of years, I suspect he’ll be disappointed whether that’s at Sydney or elsewhere.

I’m holding out hope that both he and the Swans can get their heads around him following the Jude Bolton path and extending his career (in Sydney) as a medium sized forward who can be sent into the middle at times of need. Bolton adapted very well and improved his goal kicking enough to become a very handy forward. Parker is already a much better kick for goal than Jude was at the equivalent stage, and while both were (are) good overhead marks for their size, right throughout their careers, I rate Parker slightly higher in that facet. I think it’s a role that he could excel in, and the evidence of the last two weeks supports that.
JB not in the same marking league as Parker and i love Jude

I think the club is more than happy to have a player like Parker around for much of the reasons you have mentioned in the last couple of paragraphs, otherwise we wouldn't have obtained a player like Adams to begin with. Some might argue re recruitment of a guy like Adams, but these depth players are integral to a contending side and Parker is transitioning into one of them.

So I don't think he's being nudged. It's purely going to come down to whether Parker wants to squeeze every bit of juice out of his midfield lemon in the hopes it prolongs his career, or happy to let the swans ride him out however way they see fit. Similar to the the decision Adams made re his time at the Pies (i don't think he got pushed out of there either, I think he was just more so unnecessarily worried about the progression of his career from that point onwards). Got to understand it's fair enough for players to want as many 6 figure contracts as they can get, because beyond footy it may be the last time they get it.

I think the club is more than happy to have a player like Parker around for much of the reasons you have mentioned in the last couple of paragraphs, otherwise we wouldn't have obtained a player like Adams to begin with. Some might argue re recruitment of a guy like Adams, but these depth players are integral to a contending side and Parker is transitioning into one of them.

So I don't think he's being nudged. It's purely going to come down to whether Parker wants to squeeze every bit of juice out of his midfield lemon in the hopes it prolongs his career, or happy to let the swans ride him out however way they see fit. Similar to the the decision Adams made re his time at the Pies (i don't think he got pushed out of there either, I think he was just more so unnecessarily worried about the progression of his career from that point onwards). Got to understand it's fair enough for players to want as many 6 figure contracts as they can get, because beyond footy it may be the last time they get it.
It just seems a weird situation whichever way you look at it. It's not like he's not having an impact in the team.

Is there any suggestion this is the case? Doesn't feel that way to me.

I think the "mistake" we made with the Adams recruitment was thinking we knew better than the Pies about his capacity to still make an impact in the midfield - he's shown patches of it at times this year and may well excel in finals footy where we know he's be a warrior - but last week's effort v Dons didn't inspire a whole lot of confidence.

I think the "mistake" we made with the Adams recruitment was thinking we knew better than the Pies about his capacity to still make an impact in the midfield - he's shown patches of it at times this year and may well excel in finals footy where we know he's be a warrior - but last week's effort v Dons didn't inspire a whole lot of confidence.
round 5-15 is a pretty big patch, and his contribution during that time is still understated, was a massive reason why our stars were purring. I'll take that over 1 recent game to make a conclusion.

I think Adams (through his agent) offered himself up and we said "quality experienced player for a packet of chips? Yes please!".
Not realising it might give us selection issues later.

round 5-15 is a pretty big patch, and his contribution during that time is still understated, was a massive reason why our stars were purring. I'll take that over 1 recent game to make a conclusion.

It’s much more than 1 recent game. He hasn’t done anything in around 8 weeks or even longer. He did have a solid and consistent start to the season, but has fallen off a cliff since.

It’s much more than 1 recent game. He hasn’t done anything in around 8 weeks or even longer. He did have a solid and consistent start to the season, but has fallen off a cliff since.
Not sure I can agree with that. And even so, it was in line with the teams overall drop in performance too so unfair to single him out.

In our bad patch he was poor vs north, collingwood and essendon. The others amongst that patch he was good, if not probably our best v dogs & port. He has done a hell of a lot more benefit to our team than not. He's had a bad couple of recent games, it's recency bias that's all it is.

I want to chip in my 10c worth.

I fear the club is nudging Parker out of the club next season. I can see why that might happen but I will be disgusted if it is effectively because we recruited Taylor Adams. I don't think getting Adams was a mistake but I will feel more that way if Parker leaves.

Why the club might choose to nudge out Parker:

The #1 reason is we need to turn over list spots - most likely about 5 (usually it's more and this year we already have the surplus Hanily) - and it's very hard to see who they all will be. Reid is gone; Konstanty almost certainly. After that it gets hard. If we can move on some players near the end of their career who are in decline (whether declining slowly or rapidly), then that makes more room for the young talent. I think we will also be open to trading players who are either fringe (e.g. Warner) or past their peak (e.g. Lloyd?), even if they are decent players.

A subsidiary reason might be cap space. For this reason we might also be open to moving on a valued player if we feel we are overpaying them.

Circumstantial 'evidence' supporting the case that the club might be nudging Parker:

• the history of his selection this year
  • the way he has been used as a sub
  • his move away from the midfield
  • objective circumstances like his age
  • Parker's decline in performance (while still good, is clearly past his peak)
  • knowing Parker is likely to be on a relatively high wage (was club captain at the time he signed the contract)
  • the young players the club wants to hang on to who need opportunity (Roberts, Campbell, Sheldrick, Cleary etc)
  • talk in the media from people who claim insider knowledge
  • talk on BF from people like Punts who claim to "know"

Why I would be disgusted if Parker leaves but we keep Adams

Parker is a CHAMPION of our club. He is a former captain, B&F winner, played getting on for 300 games and has led and inspired us over and over and over and over. He epitomises bloods culture. He is part of the fabric of our club. We LOVE him. He deserves to go out on something close to his own terms.

Parker is still playing well, really well, and he pretty much has been all year. Suggestions he was poor in the VFL are well wide of the mark - he was excellent and a matchwinner. He might not be quite the force he once was but he isn't spent. That said, I have no idea how much longer he can last and I acknowledge the club and its medicos would have a much clearer view of this.

Right now Parker is a better player than Adams, IMO. (Over his career Parker is also a better player than Adams, again IMO.) From my perspective, the key issue when comparing with Adams is - will Adams last longer? If the club can sense that Parker's body is on the verge of collapse but Adams' isn't, then that's relevant.

Why link the two players? They are of similar age and they are valued for similar reasons (experience, hardness, leadership). They are probably being paid comparably (I imagine Parker would be better paid but that is just a stab in the dark). They play similar roles. People can debate the differences in their games all they like but at the end of the day they are both senior players who have had careers as midfield ballwinners and who have had to transition to a more hybrid mid-forward role in the back-end of their careers. Significantly, that means they are rivals in terms of potentially competing for the same spot in the team.

if Adams is selected over Parker, especially when that decision is not clearly justified by form, and that leads to Parker leaving I will be sorely disappointed. If we had never recruited Adams and we nudged Parker out it would still be very sad but it would come across as a ruthless choice in a ruthless industry. But with Adams here it would just be wrong.

So long as that scenario doesn't come to pass, then having both Parker and Adams as depth and as inspiring leaders and role models for the youth is a wonderful luxury. (But if they both wind up playing in the reserves then that would still suggest a list management blunder on the part of the club.)

If the former scenario does come to pass, but there is no bad blood, and Parker and the club continue to love each other, and Adams goes on to last longer than Parker and be a great servant for us, then I'll still be sad but I guess the bad taste will dry up and go away after a time.

I want to chip in my 10c worth.

I fear the club is nudging Parker out of the club next season. I can see why that might happen but I will be disgusted if it is effectively because we recruited Taylor Adams. I don't think getting Adams was a mistake but I will feel more that way if Parker leaves.

Why the club might choose to nudge out Parker:

The #1 reason is we need to turn over list spots - most likely about 5 (usually it's more and this year we already have the surplus Hanily) - and it's very hard to see who they all will be. Reid is gone; Konstanty almost certainly. After that it gets hard. If we can move on some players near the end of their career who are in decline (whether declining slowly or rapidly), then that makes more room for the young talent. I think we will also be open to trading players who are either fringe (e.g. Warner) or past their peak (e.g. Lloyd?), even if they are decent players.

A subsidiary reason might be cap space. For this reason we might also be open to moving on a valued player if we feel we are overpaying them.

Circumstantial 'evidence' supporting the case that the club might be nudging Parker:

• the history of his selection this year
  • the way he has been used as a sub
  • his move away from the midfield
  • objective circumstances like his age
  • Parker's decline in performance (while still good, is clearly past his peak)
  • knowing Parker is likely to be on a relatively high wage (was club captain at the time he signed the contract)
  • the young players the club wants to hang on to who need opportunity (Roberts, Campbell, Sheldrick, Cleary etc)
  • talk in the media from people who claim insider knowledge
  • talk on BF from people like Punts who claim to "know"

Why I would be disgusted if Parker leaves but we keep Adams

Parker is a CHAMPION of our club. He is a former captain, B&F winner, played getting on for 300 games and has led and inspired us over and over and over and over. He epitomises bloods culture. He is part of the fabric of our club. We LOVE him. He deserves to go out on something close to his own terms.

Parker is still playing well, really well, and he pretty much has been all year. Suggestions he was poor in the VFL are well wide of the mark - he was excellent and a matchwinner. He might not be quite the force he once was but he isn't spent. That said, I have no idea how much longer he can last and I acknowledge the club and its medicos would have a much clearer view of this.

Right now Parker is a better player than Adams, IMO. (Over his career Parker is also a better player than Adams, again IMO.) From my perspective, the key issue when comparing with Adams is - will Adams last longer? If the club can sense that Parker's body is on the verge of collapse but Adams' isn't, then that's relevant.

Why link the two players? They are of similar age and they are valued for similar reasons (experience, hardness, leadership). They are probably being paid comparably (I imagine Parker would be better paid but that is just a stab in the dark). They play similar roles. People can debate the differences in their games all they like but at the end of the day they are both senior players who have had careers as midfield ballwinners and who have had to transition to a more hybrid mid-forward role in the back-end of their careers. Significantly, that means they are rivals in terms of potentially competing for the same spot in the team.

if Adams is selected over Parker, especially when that decision is not clearly justified by form, and that leads to Parker leaving I will be sorely disappointed. If we had never recruited Adams and we nudged Parker out it would still be very sad but it would come across as a ruthless choice in a ruthless industry. But with Adams here it would just be wrong.

So long as that scenario doesn't come to pass, then having both Parker and Adams as depth and as inspiring leaders and role models for the youth is a wonderful luxury. (But if they both wind up playing in the reserves then that would still suggest a list management blunder on the part of the club.)

If the former scenario does come to pass, but there is no bad blood, and Parker and the club continue to love each other, and Adams goes on to last longer than Parker and be a great servant for us, then I'll still be sad but I guess the bad taste will dry up and go away after a time.
Great post Calli and FWIW I look forward to your "10c worth" as much as anyone's on here.

Re Parker and Adams, I'm not sure I agree that their fates on our list are intertwined. From a contract/salary perspective, Parker is contracted to next year, on the same contract he signed in 2021 which would be disproportionate to his current output. So I don't think he'd be feeling "hard done by" in that sense or like Adams' contract is taking a chunk of his. And from a performance/team selection perspective, Parker could surely not be looking at Adams' performance of late and thinking he's going to struggle to be picked over Adams.

If Parker leaves for any reason, I think it will either be Parker wanting out due to some potential bad blood from his selection snubs earlier this year, or the club wanting Parker out due to the aforementioned disproportionate contract he signed when he'd just won a B&F and was a full-time midfielder.

If it is the former, that would be disappointing from Parker. As much as Parker has given to the club, the club has also given to Parker. This is a guy who has received countless accolades, been entrusted with the captaincy, been selected by Horse every single week for at least a decade straight. Leadership and loyalty is not abandoning the ship at the first sign in 12 years that your spot in the team is a bit perilous. Our reserves side has had plenty of great names playing in their ranks over the journey - Kieren Jack, Ryan O'Keefe, Ted Richards, Jarrad McVeigh, Adam bloody Goodes. So no club is bigger than the individual and I'd think Parker knows this as much as anyone.

That is why I am inclined to believe that it is the latter - that Parker's contract has become quote-unquote baggage and the club is giving him the nudge-nudge. He is no longer one of our best players, arguably not even in our top 10 best players, and is no longer a full-time midfielder, but his contract would almost certainly not reflect that, as it was signed in 2021 when he was all of those things. There's a scenario where pushing Parker out could be a win/win for both parties - the club frees up space in its salary cap; Parker potentially secures a better deal for himself elsewhere (ie. playing beyond next year - something we likely can't guarantee him.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back