Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Given the number of young players signed to quite long deals, I struggle with the idea that Parker's contract is a millstone for next season when contracts can be weighted in particular ways to work around that. But happy to not get stuck into that loop again..

I think it's more about list spots than $$. In any event I think his last contract would have reflected not only that Parker was a club champion (and captain) but also that he was at the back end of his career. Also, he may well have given up some $$ for a longer contract (as you noted, caesar88 , we were a bit surprised the deal was for 4 years) and the structure of the payments was probably chosen to fit with what worked for the club. It could also be that the club wants to clear more cap space because it has cost more than budgeted to retain our talented youngsters, or is feeling more assured about our midfield depth now compared to 12 months ago.

I do fear Adams and Parker's fates are a bit entwined, not in any direct way but because the value they offer to the club is similar (as noted before: experience, hardness, leadership) and they both cost $$ but possibly/probably we don't need both of them. If we have to choose between them, I would strongly favour Parker because mostly out of loyalty and gratitude and also because I think his best is better, with the only caveat being if we think that he's cooked and Adams isn't.

I think it's more about list spots than $$. In any event I think his last contract would have reflected not only that Parker was a club champion (and captain) but also that he was at the back end of his career. Also, he may well have given up some $$ for a longer contract (as you noted, caesar88 , we were a bit surprised the deal was for 4 years) and the structure of the payments was probably chosen to fit with what worked for the club. It could also be that the club wants to clear more cap space because it has cost more than budgeted to retain our talented youngsters, or is feeling more assured about our midfield depth now compared to 12 months ago.

I do fear Adams and Parker's fates are a bit entwined, not in any direct way but because the value they offer to the club is similar (as noted before: experience, hardness, leadership) and they both cost $$ but possibly/probably we don't need both of them. If we have to choose between them, I would strongly favour Parker because mostly out of loyalty and gratitude and also because I think his best is better, with the only caveat being if we think that he's cooked and Adams isn't.
If that is the case, then I don't think there's much the club can do.

It will be far, far easier to trade Parker, given there is only one year to run on his contract as opposed to two for Adams. Plus he's also just the better player of the two at this stage and more likely to attract takers.

I think it's possible for things to have not worked out but also no one being to blame for it.

The club was absolutely right to go after another contested type in Adams, and a three year deal was a necessary evil to get anyone of that ilk here. That we've gotten less than we expected from both Adams and Parker this year, but the slack has well and truly been picked up instead by the move of Heeney into the midfield - thus rendering them less important - is really just an unfortunate turn of events for the both of them. If Heeney in the midfield hadn't worked out, then we'd have been clambering to keep both Adams and Parker on the list as their importance would greatly increase. But then you could argue we also wouldn't have finished minor premiers this year.

Great discussion everyone.

My 2 cents:
  1. Agree with many that we should start Parker in centre square. Tell him to go nuts like when he came on as sub first time this year. He can then rest on the pine to catch his breath before playing 70-30 forward mid after that, with the final quarter then switching to 30-70 for one final burst through the mids. Warner to play forward while Parker in mids at start of game. Heeney to play wherever he feels like in final quarter.
  2. I think Parker would be smart to play for North on a 3-4 year contract from next year, especially if we win the premiership this year. He will always be a Blood, but when you think about value he could deliver and salary he could be paid, North makes much more sense. For Sydney, we could also free up cap space and improve our draft hand. He would set standards at North on and off the field. That being said, if Parker wanted to be a strong mid sized forward, I would welcome him staying next year and then see how things go (though the risk for Parker is that by then the interest from other clubs for a long contract may wane, and Sydney would get no compensation).
  3. Forgetting about the future for one moment, how exciting is it to have Parker firing again? Can’t wait to see him go nuts in the finals, knowing he will be playing like they very well may be his last. Let’s f**king go!!

Sounds ominous...
Says it all really. Horse stuffed him around this year. Comes back in, makes the decision, and then persistent sub starts look foolish. Not surprised he's looking at other options. If he can get an extra 3 years after the current one he's gone 100% and extra 2 and he'll strongly consider it.

If Parker leaves then Horse has fumbled this badly imo. I’m one of the few that don’t really get stuck in to Horse at all because he’s got such a great record and seemingly a good rapport with the team but if he’s the primary reason that Parker doesn’t finish his career in Swans colours then it’s a blight on his coaching career.

I can forgive the likes of Mitchell leaving because he was a brat and Dawson was always going home to mum but this is entirely different. Parker epitomises the Swans and deserves the money and the years he’s asking for.

It’s a terrible look for the club.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If Parker leaves then Horse has fumbled this badly imo. I’m one of the few that don’t really get stuck in to Horse at all because he’s got such a great record and seemingly a good rapport with the team but if he’s the primary reason that Parker doesn’t finish his career in Swans colours then it’s a blight on his coaching career.

I can forgive the likes of Mitchell leaving because he was a brat and Dawson was always going home to mum but this is entirely different. Parker epitomises the Swans and deserves the money and the years he’s asking for.

He is already signed til the end of next year. Shouldn't he have to earn anything beyond that?

He is already signed til the end of next year. Shouldn't he have to earn anything beyond that?
I think that's what he means, that he deserves next year at the Swans.

There’s a very slim chance he will drop off so badly next year that he won’t deserve a good contract for 26/27. I understand the youth angle and signing players for the future but Parker is hardly falling off a cliff and there needs to be more faith and reward for a club champion.

I don’t expect anyone to share my view but, if the rumblings are true, I can’t excuse how this has been handled.

Says it all really. Horse stuffed him around this year. Comes back in, makes the decision, and then persistent sub starts look foolish. Not surprised he's looking at other options. If he can get an extra 3 years after the current one he's gone 100% and extra 2 and he'll strongly consider it.
I love the guy but would not blame the club for not extending him by 3 years. That would be very foolish.

If he asks for a trade with a year to go on his contact for more cash elsewhere then that's not the clubs choice, that's Parker's choice.

I won't begrudge him for trying to do that if he has the opportunity, but that's not the clubs fault.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I love the guy but would not blame the club for not extending him by 3 years. That would be very foolish.
Agreed, I wasn't suggesting the club would or should offer him 3 years. I'd imagine the club would be offering one year contracts from here and Parker would be pushing for 2 minimum.

The point I was making is if he's in the second last year of his existing contract and the club were relegating him to the 2's, it shows that the club don't value him, and any value he has (in the eyes of the club) would diminish as the years progressed.

If everything was sweet and Parker felt valued, he'd probably accept a 1 year extension. But if he's already being shown he's not part of the future plans, accepting a 1 year deal is essentially signing your own death certificate. So if another club comes sniffing, he'll definitely entertain the idea.

Terrible management by the club. Parker is a valuable player until he isn't. Why treat him as if he's the latter now? When we have everything to gain by rightfully treating him as the former.

After the 2022 GF, I was happy to move on any senior player that represented us that day because they didn't make a difference. The time has come for brutal decisions to give the next crew a go. Parker has a premiership & has been part of 3 GF losses & didn't play all that well in any of them.

If another club thinks he has a 2026 season in him then he has my blessing every day of the week.
That first half against the Bombers.........................let me just say that unless he marks it, alongside the other 3 talls, that leaves us with small forwards to try & lock the ball in. I'm not comfortable with that & here lies the dilemma for our club. The best teams will exploit this. If he plays in place of one of the talls, then that can work but I can't see Horse changing that set up after a season where we sit top & clear.

This thread will be interesting when he is sub for the first final
Would think the Longmire thread would be more interesting in that case.

I think Parks will just get the most out of himself for the rest of this season as he has done these last two weeks.
Happy for him to battle on next year because I have no doubt he is a fighter.
I would like him to be a key player in these finals as I love what he did, pinch hitting the other night against the Dons.
I was very concerned for him in the first half but I like how he worked his way into the game.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back