Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
I hope none of the people expressing such angst about the possibility of Luke Parker being traded as a 32 year old were the same people so readily happy to pack Jake Lloyd's bags over the journey.

If we are going to apply the "champion who has done so much for the club deserves better" policy then I'd hope it's across the board!

I hope none of the people expressing such angst about the possibility of Luke Parker being traded as a 32 year old were the same people so readily happy to pack Jake Lloyd's bags over the journey.

If we are going to apply the "champion who has done so much for the club deserves better" policy then I'd hope it's across the board!

Hope the same applies for those who were happy to express 12 months ago that Parker should play out his career as a forward which, check notes is what is happening right now.

You are more than capable of reading what you wrote.

The bit where in one post I suggested he had a role to play in the team and in the other I suggested the club playing him in the VFL and as the sub repeatedly could be construed as constructive dismissal? I sure can read what I wrote. I'm now asking what your point was quoting the messages together when one doesn't contradict the other?

If you're going to go all passive aggressive 'gotcha' on me, make sure you've comprehended the point you're trying to make.

Are you genuinely comparing the impact the two players have had on the club and their level of ability?

Harry Cunningham's played for 13 years too, how dare we move past him at some stage too!

Hope the same applies for those who were happy to express 12 months ago that Parker should play out his career as a forward which, check notes is what is happening right now.

Oh is it happening right now? Reasonably sure The King just suggested he should be the sub in finals, he's spent more than half the year in the VFL and has been pushed out of the side for a Collingwood hack.

Are you genuinely comparing the impact the two players have had on the club and their level of ability?

Harry Cunningham's played for 13 years too, how dare we move past him at some stage too!
I'm not comparing them because I'm saying they are both so-called champions of our club.

I'm not comparing them because I'm saying they are both so-called champions of our club.

:think: You're not comparing them.. by equating them.. Ok.

Lloyd is a much lesser quality player than Parker and far more easily replaced, as demonstrated by Florent's ability on the wing, McInerney, Gulden, etc. etc. as well as Roberts stepping into the defence, and Mills.

I’m not sure why people are arguing over Parker.
He’s contracted for 2025.
Like every player in that position it’s up to him to keep his spot. As the top team that’s how it should be.

As long as he's selected on merit then no arguments from me, and hasn't been from the start. The argument is over the suggestion the club is deliberately not picking him/often starting him as sub to push him out the door.

:think: You're not comparing them.. by equating them.. Ok.

Lloyd is a much lesser quality player than Parker and far more easily replaced, as demonstrated by Florent's ability on the wing, McInerney, Gulden, etc. etc. as well as Roberts stepping into the defence, and Mills.
But what you think doesn't matter.

What I think doesn't matter.

All that matters is what the club thinks, based on your arguments so far. That Parker's future is the club's responsibility.

The same club that values Parker as a champion - and you think should therefore be rewarded and stuck by as such - also values Lloyd as a champion. That's just the objective truth. He's won multiple club champion awards and will be in our Hall of Fame one day, right alongside Parker and others.

So I think it's disingenuous and hypocritical to use the line of logic that our best and longest-serving players should be rewarded and obliged if one also participated in the Lloyd-as-tradebait discussions over the years. You can't have it both ways.

And I'm not saying you are one such person. I don't know who, if anyone, is one such person. I was just making a general point.

As long as he's selected on merit then no arguments from me, and hasn't been from the start. The argument is over the suggestion the club is deliberately not picking him/often starting him as sub to push him out the door.
I don’t think we’d be disrespecting him SM. He’s earned the right have a choice on what’s better for him. He still has a say on where we can finish this year.
Like I said before, I feared for him in that first half last week but he found a way to impact the game which I think is the way forward through this finals series.

But what you think doesn't matter.

What I think doesn't matter.

All that matters is what the club thinks, based on your arguments so far. That Parker's future is the club's responsibility.

The same club that values Parker as a champion - and you think should therefore be rewarded and stuck by as such - also values Lloyd as a champion. That's just the objective truth. He's won multiple club champion awards and will be in our Hall of Fame one day, right alongside Parker and others.

So I think it's disingenuous and hypocritical to use the line of logic that our best and longest-serving players should be rewarded and obliged if one also participated in the Lloyd-as-tradebait discussions over the years. You can't have it both ways.

And I'm not saying you are one such person. I don't know who, if anyone, is one such person. I was just making a general point.

If our views don't matter why did you even bring up Lloyd as if trying to compare attitudes on the two in any way mattered?

You can have it both ways when Lloyd's role in the team is far more superfluous than Parker's and carried trade value at a time when we were trying to regenerate the list and a club like the Suns were there. It's not hypocritical at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If our views don't matter why did you even bring up Lloyd as if trying to compare attitudes on the two in any way mattered?

You can have it both ways when Lloyd's role in the team is far more superfluous than Parker's and carried trade value at a time when we were trying to regenerate the list and a club like the Suns were there. It's not hypocritical at all.
Because it was people on here arguing that the club owes Parker because he's a champion, and because of what he's done for us over the journey; that that service should be repaid now by the club.

That is a fair enough argument but it's one that crosses over into hypocrisy if it comes from someone who wanted to trade Lloyd, who is also a champion, and has also done a lot for us over the journey.

Because it was people on here arguing that the club owes Parker because he's a champion, and because of what he's done for us over the journey; that that service should be repaid now by the club.

That is a fair enough argument but it's one that crosses over into hypocrisy if it comes from someone who wanted to trade Lloyd, who is also a champion, and has also done a lot for us over the journey.

No one has said - I don't think - that the club owes Parker on the back of zero form. What people have said (that I've seen) is the club shouldn't push out a performing club champion just for the sake of regeneration when the player lined up to take his spot is a one-year-younger Adams who is barely contributing. Very very different things.

I dont think the club owes Parker anything. My point is that the club treated Parker as if he was a spent force and no longer deserving of a spot in the 22.

They undervalued Parker, and were pretty much actively blocking him from returning to the best 22. He starred off the bench, and the club doubled down and continued to play him off the bench. Everything went to shit and Parker came in and was a key driver in improving our performances.

If Parker is past it, the club doesn't owe him a spot. But treating him as if he was past it when he's still one of our top 10 or so players was such a poor move by the club.

We're potentially on the cusp of challenging for multiple flags, and we've got a player who can contribute to our success, and we do just about everything we can to sabotage that. And with buck all depth as well.

Sam gets some stuff right...

Hope this doesn't become a distraction in our finals run.

I'd hate to see Parker leave but it's understandable if he wants more midfield opportunities, security & $$$

Then that was a very bizarre strawman to make...

I would think if anyone should be admonished for their posts in this thread - and I don't necessarily think anyone should be called out for an opinion, but you opened the door - it's the people who were suggesting that Parker didn't have a role in this team, provided less than a bloke who just ran around a lot, and more laughably, that he would struggle to make a list anywhere next year.

Nobody in this thread has suggested that Parker is owed a spot based on past performance or nostalgia like some - who are now noticeably absent - claimed. They have said quite plainly that his performance before his injury was still very good, he shouldn't have been pushed out of the squad, and that he was still best 22. Those people have been proven correct.

Last edited:
I think when you get to Parker's age of 33 for his next uncontracted season you either get lucky and take a 3 year deal from a bottom club or you get 1 year deal after 1 year deal from the current club. Wouldn't be annoyed with him for taking the extra money

I think when you get to Parker's age of 33 for his next uncontracted season you either get lucky and take a 3 year deal from a bottom club or you get 1 year deal after 1 year deal from the current club. Wouldn't be annoyed with him for taking the extra money
If his form warrants selection and he gets picked then he stays, especially given he looks very settled in Sydney. I think if he's feeling the love, he will back himself to retire as a one club player and ignore any longer offers from elsewhere. After Norf's effort today, who would seriously want to play there?

If his form doesn't warrant selection and he receives no offers elsewhere, then he plays out his last year in reserves - no shame in that. He's been a warrior and a great servant of our club.

If his form warrants selection but he doesn't get picked, then the club is sending him a clear message to leave at seasons end. For me (and no doubt Parker) that would be beyond disappointing.

I wouldn't think we would be pushing him against his will.

That's where my comment on constructive dismissal comes into it (even though Robbieando clearly doesn't get the concept). I would think he's made up his mind because of how we treated him to start the year and even since coming back into the team, making him sub so much. We've basically made his mind up for him in that sense.

That's where my comment on constructive dismissal comes into it (even though Robbieando clearly doesn't get the concept). I would think he's made up his mind because of how we treated him to start the year and even since coming back into the team, making him sub so much. We've basically made his mind up for him in that sense.
To be fair, I had no idea what constructive dismissal meant so could see how someone could have interpreted it incorrectly.

That said, I think our thoughts on Parker have been pretty aligned.

To be fair, I had no idea what constructive dismissal meant so could see how someone could have interpreted it incorrectly.

That said, I think our thoughts on Parker have been pretty aligned.

Constructive dismissal is when an employer wants to sack an employee but can't, so makes their experience crappy enough that they end up quitting.

If Robbieando struggled to understand what the term meant, he could have Googled it, asked me to clarify, or any other number of things rather than a passive aggressive emoji and then "You can read what you wrote".

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back