Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

d05af3810baa11138a15ef8d759b18c8

Luke Parker
Luke Parker has plenty of football ahead and has already compiled a resume packed with impressive achievements. Since landing at the Sydney Swans via the 2010 AFL Draft, he has won a 2012 premiership medal, earned All Australian selection and won two Bob Skilton medals. In 2015, he was added to the club’s leadership group at the age of just 22, and has led the team as a co-captain alongside Josh Kennedy and Dane Rampe since 2019. While Parker is among the league’s elite midfielders, his strong marking and expert game awareness make him a genuine threat when rotating through the forward line.

Luke Parker
DOB: 25 October 1992
DEBUT: 2011
DRAFT: #40, 2010 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Langwarrin (Vic)/Dandenong U18

Last edited by a moderator:
Well yeah but Parker hasn't played GWS yet this year.

Not saying he'd win it again, or that the medal actually reflects who was BOG, but I just feel like he always elevates for games against them, and some of his best ever games have come against them.
Ignore me. Thought I was in the preview thread

Lot's of banter in this thread, lot's of speculation.

Dunno what to make of it.

Just know there is a mighty big difference between belief and truth.

Parker is probably my favourite player on the park.

Love how that man carries himself.

A bona fide front line general marshalling the troops.

Reckon he has a big impact on the stuff without stats.

Hope he plays a killer role in Sept.

I've never really considered Parks a big game player. I don't really know why, maybe I was blinded by my undying love and devotion to JPK or maybe it was because of the teams reliance on JPK that Parks never needed to be "the man", it would be magnificent if he could take up the mantle.

I've never really considered Parks a big game player. I don't really know why, maybe I was blinded by my undying love and devotion to JPK or maybe it was because of the teams reliance on JPK that Parks never needed to be "the man", it would be magnificent if he could take up the mantle.
This is fair. JPK is one of the great big game players, and Parker has had a few quiet finals, particularly in losses.

He looks rejuvenated in a new role this year - and no doubt fresher - so I'm hoping it really clicks for him.

This is fair. JPK is one of the great big game players, and Parker has had a few quiet finals, particularly in losses.

He looks rejuvenated in a new role this year - and no doubt fresher - so I'm hoping it really clicks for him.
His comeback has been wonderful and his form since returning, also the love shown to him by both his team mates and the fans has had to have made him undropable.

It's funny you mention that. Outside of 2014 vs Freo I don't recall a game Parker won for us in a final. Whilst Heeney I can only recall him playing well in finals that we have lost

It's funny you mention that. Outside of 2014 vs Freo I don't recall a game Parker won for us in a final. Whilst Heeney I can only recall him playing well in finals that we have lost
Heeney had a big game against the Crows in 2016 but was overshadowed by JPK having one of the greatest finals of all time.

Edit: lol JPK took the piss
42 disposals
21 contested
10 clearances
8 marks

In a final...

Parker actually had a good game too
24 disposals
6 clearances
12 tackles!
5 hitouts 🤣
And a goal

Last edited:
Given his form is kind of flying in the face of the club's presumed assessment of him, and assuming he is actually happy to stay, I wonder if a deal that would make sense for all parties would be to re-negotiate his deal and give him a new three year deal with severely reduced money next year effectively spreading it over the next two years with a third year based on appearances over 25/26? If he does drop off in 25 then it's effectively only a one year extension, but if he continues to compete and provide good depth next year, then we keep him around?

Would be a similar strategy as used with Rampe and seems to be the best of both worlds if we really are concerned about cap space next year.

Given his form is kind of flying in the face of the club's presumed assessment of him, and assuming he is actually happy to stay, I wonder if a deal that would make sense for all parties would be to re-negotiate his deal and give him a new three year deal with severely reduced money next year effectively spreading it over the next two years with a third year based on appearances over 25/26? If he does drop off in 25 then it's effectively only a one year extension, but if he continues to compete and provide good depth next year, then we keep him around?

Would be a similar strategy as used with Rampe and seems to be the best of both worlds if we really are concerned about cap space next year.
Agree i think you have to keep it team control over extension and not in Parkers control though

Agree i think you have to keep it team control over extension and not in Parkers control though

Yeah I would imagine if hypothetically he's on 700k in 25 you offer him maybe 400k in 25 and 300-400k in 26 with a trigger for another year in 27 at 300k if he plays over half the games in 26. Plucking some numbers out of the air to make the point but wouldn't think that would be unreasonable from a club's perspective, it would just depend on how much he could get at North and whether he would want to uproot his family.

I don't really know how it works in the sense that he'd be almost accepting playing a year for free by just splitting the salary but I guess the point being if we try to push him out this trade period he wouldn't get next year's salary anyway (unless North are happy to match it).

This is a good idea. However, a club like North might offer him more money and a transition into assistant coaching at after his last year. I have no idea if he's interested in a coaching career, but if he is, it might sway him.

This is a good idea. However, a club like North might offer him more money and a transition into assistant coaching at after his last year. I have no idea if he's interested in a coaching career, but if he is, it might sway him.

Yeah it's a tricky one because trying to re-negotiate may actually make him more keen to jump to North for more money, but you'd need to hope that the stability and competitiveness of the Swans plus relationships and his home being here would all be factors, that him being wanted by the club is the biggest factor in convincing him to stay.

This is all assuming the club actually wants him and are just worried from a financial point of view but who knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I dont see how Parker would agree to re-negotiating his contract. He's locked in for 2025 on an amount the club agreed to pay. I don't see him wanting to drop his salary next year for an extra year or so when you've got North sniffing around with what I can only assume is a more lucrative offer over a longer period with a coaching role attached.

The risk Parker takes in staying with the swans is that we may want to push him out after the extra year (if we extend beyond 2025). Whereas North are willing to commit to a deal over a certain duration.

So the question is. Do you take the guaranteed money or do you take the gamble and back you're ability to make yourself undroppable in the quest for premiership success.

I dont see how Parker would agree to re-negotiating his contract. He's locked in for 2025 on an amount the club agreed to pay. I don't see him wanting to drop his salary next year for an extra year or so when you've got North sniffing around with what I can only assume is a more lucrative offer over a longer period with a coaching role attached.

The risk Parker takes in staying with the swans is that we may want to push him out after the extra year (if we extend beyond 2025). Whereas North are willing to commit to a deal over a certain duration.

So the question is. Do you take the guaranteed money or do you take the gamble and back you're ability to make yourself undroppable in the quest for premiership success.
Also depends what else is offered. Does Parker want to coach? If so does he take 2 years at North and then get 3 years as an assistant? Does he not want to move states due to lifestyle choices?

The idea would be the security of contract at the expense of slightly more money, in order to stay in a place he's settled and enjoys playing (along with team success on field v North's project). It depends on a few factors including the assumption we actually want to keep him (which would be shit if we don't, on less money, considering the deal we gave Rampe) and that he is happy to accept slightly less money.

The idea would be the security of contract at the expense of slightly more money, in order to stay in a place he's settled and enjoys playing (along with team success on field v North's project). It depends on a few factors including the assumption we actually want to keep him (which would be shit if we don't, on less money, considering the deal we gave Rampe) and that he is happy to accept slightly less money.
I'm just making an assumption here, but I don't think security of contract would be Parker's primary concern.

He could agree to a 3 year term on reduced money to satisfy the swans, but that doesn't mean he'll be given a spot in the side.

I'd say he feels he still has a lot to offer and would ideally like to remain with the club, but if the club see him on the outer in 2024 as they had until recently, and expect his role to diminish further in 2025, then 2026 & 2027 would be meaningless years for him (security without a place in the side is no mans land at Parkers age).

Wherever he ends up, his aim would be to be a key part of the team, and to this point, his form has warranted that level of responsibility.

I hope his form this year, and contribution to the team has instilled confidence in the club that he's still an important player for the club.

I wouldn't expect his form to drop off significantly next year, so hope he sticks it out. What happens beyond that is anyone's guess, and with younger players coming through the club may want to refresh its list.

I just think the club went early in demoting him from the best 22. Which is an indication they're trying to push him out. I hope that's not the case but I can't think of another explanation.

Time will tell I guess, but to push a player of Parker's ilk when you're looking to win a premiership just seems an odd move.

I'm just making an assumption here, but I don't think security of contract would be Parker's primary concern.

He could agree to a 3 year term on reduced money to satisfy the swans, but that doesn't mean he'll be given a spot in the side.

I'd say he feels he still has a lot to offer and would ideally like to remain with the club, but if the club see him on the outer in 2024 as they had until recently, and expect his role to diminish further in 2025, then 2026 & 2027 would be meaningless years for him (security without a place in the side is no mans land at Parkers age).

Wherever he ends up, his aim would be to be a key part of the team, and to this point, his form has warranted that level of responsibility.

I hope his form this year, and contribution to the team has instilled confidence in the club that he's still an important player for the club.

I wouldn't expect his form to drop off significantly next year, so hope he sticks it out. What happens beyond that is anyone's guess, and with younger players coming through the club may want to refresh its list.

I just think the club went early in demoting him from the best 22. Which is an indication they're trying to push him out. I hope that's not the case but I can't think of another explanation.

Time will tell I guess, but to push a player of Parker's ilk when you're looking to win a premiership just seems an odd move.

I suppose like I said I'm working off a few assumptions, primarily that the Swans are trying to squeeze him out due to his salary, and coming up with a solution to satisfy both parties. If he was on reduced terms but played most weeks, wouldn't that solve both?

I suppose like I said I'm working off a few assumptions, primarily that the Swans are trying to squeeze him out due to his salary, and coming up with a solution to satisfy both parties. If he was on reduced terms but played most weeks, wouldn't that solve both?
Ahhh right, if salary is the swans primary issue. I get it. Yes, that would be the potential solution. Sorry, I missed that as the key point.

It's just a really odd situation, having recruited Adams, and Parker being on the outer, despite being the more capable player imo.

Just an odd development this year, would be interesting to know the details but we'll probably never find out.

If my employer is out there and you want to dismiss me but cannot, you are most welcome to try paying me over $500k a year to run around in the Sydney Swans reserves!

I can’t promise I will quit but I can promise I will seriously lower the quality of the reserves team 😂

If my employer is out there and you want to dismiss me but cannot, you are most welcome to try paying me over $500k a year to run around in the Sydney Swans reserves!

I can’t promise I will quit but I can promise I will seriously lower the quality of the reserves team 😂

I assume this is in response to my 'constructive dismissal' comment and all I can say is that context is important lol.

I assume this is in response to my 'constructive dismissal' comment and all I can say is that context is important lol.
I don't think he meant any offense or as a response to any one post in particular, I took it as a joke.

Luke Parker is contracted to play for us next year. He turns 32 in October.
He will be 33 at the end of his contract with the Swans.
I think we would be mad to offer Luke anything more at this point, until the end of next year.
No doubt the Swans would love him to be a one club player but if the incompetent Roos offer him 3 years then there is no doubt the club would give him their full blessing & encouragement to go. I can't see Luke Parker holding down a regular senior AFL spot at any club that is competing for finals. I think he can be good for us next year, he may help out another club for a year but then my concern grows beyond that.

I don't think he meant any offense or as a response to any one post in particular, I took it as a joke.
Yeah I know I laugh reacted it and didn't take anything of it.

Luke Parker is contracted to play for us next year. He turns 32 in October.
He will be 33 at the end of his contract with the Swans.
I think we would be mad to offer Luke anything more at this point, until the end of next year.
No doubt the Swans would love him to be a one club player but if the incompetent Roos offer him 3 years then there is no doubt the club would give him their full blessing & encouragement to go. I can't see Luke Parker holding down a regular senior AFL spot at any club that is competing for finals. I think he can be good for us next year, he may help out another club for a year but then my concern grows beyond that.

I agree with all the rationale about Parker's contract and how it might be good for all parties if he was to take a longer term deal with North.

But...

I just don't get why questions about Parker's ability keep coming up. I must have been watching different games this month if anyone thinks Parker isn't a really valuable player still.

Unless there was some long term plan to have him flying in the last 6 weeks of the season, which I doubt there was, I think he has made the coaches look kind of stupid for having him play more than a week or two in the reserves.

Assuming he doesn't fall off a cliff physically in the off season, he should be a walk up start in every team in the comp. Including ours.

Remove this Banner Ad

Player Watch #26 Luke Parker

Remove this Banner Ad

Back